Started Armour yesterday

Wendyma1
Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
Finally my thyroid has dropped enough after RAI for me to start Armour. I know this is premature to ask, but after only two doses, am I supposed to be nauseated? It's not like I feel the need to vomit, but my stomach just feels unsettled all the time. Yesterday I took my meds at 3:00pm (first day) and didnt eat dinner till 6:30pm. Then today I took it at 6:30am right as my alarm went off and didnt eat my breakfast till 10:00am. I did have some coffee at 8:30am. Just have this nagging nausea since I started. Is this just my body adjusting to the new hormones and will pass?

Thanks,
Wendy

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    bump
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Sorry. I'm not really sure if feeling sick to the stomach is normal for Armour or not. I'm on Synthroid following my RAI and I don't recall feeling sick to stomach, but just feeling awful in general. Has taken quite a while to see the complete effect of the RAI and med levels have been constantly tweaked.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Call your doctor. I don't think it's suppose to make you sick. You can't eat with it because your body has trouble obsorbing it. I wake up at 2 am to take mine, but my doctor thinks I'm crazy to do that.

Maybe it's like vitamins. Some make you sick others don't. I know if the vitamins make me sick I change brands.
  • If you iron or cortisol are too low, your body won't be able to handle the armour.

Taking it in the middle of your cortisol window which is 4-8 am will help make cortisol. I take pure T3 somewhere around 3:30 for the purpose of boosting my cortisol production. There is a book by Paul Robinson explaining this protocol.

Lots of info available on yahoo groups as well.

Kat
  • Wendyma1
    Thank you everybody! I know my ferretin is low, but doctor has not addressed that yet. I should really ask her to check all my adrenal functions and such. I'll start taking it earlier to help boost cortisol!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    It's possible that you're reacting to one of the fillers in the med. If it continues you could look at switching to Nature Thyroid? There's also the option of a compounded med through somewhere like Women's International Pharmacy online - I believe they just use olive oil as a binder.

Iron is generally needed in the conversion of T4 into T3, and the Armour should have a decent amount of T3 for your body at first. I'm wondering if it's a little "too much too soon"? You could also try splitting the dose to see if that helps.
  • islandmonkey

Maybe it's like vitamins. Some make you sick others don't. I know if the vitamins make me sick I change brands.

It's actually the B vitamins that make you feel nauseated - just need to take it with food and that shouldn't happen.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    I also take Armour Thyroid and work in the Healthcare field. I never had the symptom of nausea with this med. You should definitely tell your Physician though. Do make sure you take it on an empty stomach and wait to eat at least 30 min after you take your med. You should also avoid suppl., like Calcium and iron within 4 hours of taking Armour Thyroid. What dose did your Dr. put you on? It's possible your body may need time to adjust and could maybe lower your dosage for now, until you adjust. That is correct that B Vitamins (in high doses) can cause nausea/vomiting. If your Ferritin is low you may need an Iron suppl. I also read online that if you chew the armour then swallow it, its better absorbed. I do this myself. As far as Nutrition goes, you should limit your intake of soy to no more than 1x per month and avoid Kale (high in Iodine), per my Endo.
  • Wendyma1
    I take my armour at 6:30 in the morning before getting out of bed. I chew the tablet (30 mg) then drink it down with water. I take my supplements in the evening before bedtime so that they dont interfere. I dont eat or drink anything other than water till around 9:30am so that should be the cause of anything. I will try splitting the 30mg into two doses so that I take half at 6:30 and then the other half around 1:00pm.

Thanks for all the advice and tips!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    I take my armour at 6:30 in the morning before getting out of bed. I chew the tablet (30 mg) then drink it down with water. I take my supplements in the evening before bedtime so that they dont interfere. I dont eat or drink anything other than water till around 9:30am so that should be the cause of anything. I will try splitting the 30mg into two doses so that I take half at 6:30 and then the other half around 1:00pm.

Thanks for all the advice and tips!

Can you tell a difference in splitting the dose?
  • Wendyma1
    Alot of people tell me that they split the dose so that they can get a consistent amount of hormones flowing through their system during the day. I'm starting to see why. I'm full of energy in the morning but seem to falter around 3:00 if not a bit before. Will try splitting and see if it works.
  • islandmonkey
    Alot of people tell me that they split the dose so that they can get a consistent amount of hormones flowing through their system during the day. I'm starting to see why. I'm full of energy in the morning but seem to falter around 3:00 if not a bit before. Will try splitting and see if it works.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see if this helps with the nausea and also with the mid-afternoon slump.