No Swiss exercise ball

Options
rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
First day at new gym today, looked for all the equipment I will need to start stage 1 on Monday. They do not have exercise balls.
I was thinking of getting a ball and doing those exercises when I get home from the gym, or are there any variations I could do?

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    you should do all the exercises together because your heart rate is already higher.

You don't need a swiss ball for sit ups just take it steady.

For the jack knife thing it is tricky I think it does two things - works upper body strength and your core - I'd do push ups with your feet on a high step.

Then I would also say go for it get the ball for home and do core exercise when you can like kneeling on it, the Jackknife one from the book.

I am on stage one and fell off doing the jack knife so I'm glad on that occasion I was at home!!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    thank you
    I tried the jack knife the other day at my old gym and fell off, thankfully it was 4.30am and the only other person around was my husband.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I woud ask a staff member if they have a ball. I'll bet they do, because they are such a common piece of exercise equipment. Maybe they have them stored somewhere and can get one out for you.
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's comments......I did wonder if they had a slant bench that you could do crunches on if there isn't a ball...just an idea....as long as you keep it as low as possible. our center has both. best of luck and success to you and to all of us!
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh yes....been there too, fell off but it was in front of my daughter and sister....laughter is good, right????
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You can do plank and plank variations in place of crunches. In fact, the author in his later book NROL for Abs switched to pretty much all plank/plank variations with some exceptions, but not many.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I would definitely ask the gym staff. If they don't already have one, they may be willing to buy one, or you could buy one and donate it. They only cost about $20 or so. There are plenty of other core exercises to do, but jackknives are fun once you get the hang of them!