how count calories burned? p90x insanity

Options
MenayD
MenayD Posts: 31 Member
hey i have a question. how do you keep tabs on how many calories you burn in a workout during p90x or insanity? I am not very good at estimating and i would really like to know so i can keep tabs on myself.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned

This website has all the P90X and Insanity work-outs in it's database.
    Select the DVD you want then enter your weight and how long you managed etc and it gives you a burn number.
    I tend to take a few off it mind you, just in case.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Because everyone burns kcals at a different rate and the amount of effort you put into each workout is different, even day to day, the only way to know for sure what you are burning, is to get a heart rate monitor and input your body stats. Let it tell you what you burned.
    Point in case: I did the same DVD'd routine last Saturday and this morning.. I pushed hard and got 673 kcal burn for Saturday's effort. Today, I was a bit off and for the exact same 45 minutes, I only managed 500 kcal burn. No website is going to be able to account for your effort and your body type..
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    Agreed, but it's handy if you don't have a monitor.
    As said I tend to take a few calories off the number in case it's over-estimating.
    I was a bit taken aback at first when I saw the high burn being generated, but then I thought
    " Well, I'm 17 Stone+ and I work damn hard "
    I'll take it as a rough guide for convenience.
  • katiemcallisterbruni
    Options
    I agree with dalehall - it all depends on how much you are working. Definitely get a heart rate monitor it will be more accurate based on your gender, age, heart rate, etc. I found a one at Wal-mart for about $30...it's doing what I need it to...I just hope it lasts because it is totally the "bottom of the line" heart rate monitor. So far so good...and my wrist hasn't fallen off from the cheap plastic band!!! LOL! Good luck!
  • avinalaff123
    avinalaff123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's a great calculator Dougie - I've searched everywhere for an idea of calories burned by insanity and whilst, as mentioned, you really need a heart rate monitor to get an accurate read, this at least gives me a good idea. Thanks for sharing :wink:
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    No worries, glad it's of use.
  • MenayD
    MenayD Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone! i really appreciate it :)
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned

This website has all the P90X and Insanity work-outs in it's database.
    Select the DVD you want then enter your weight and how long you managed etc and it gives you a burn number.
    I tend to take a few off it mind you, just in case.

Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for something online for the Turbofire workouts and never found anything. At least this kinda gives you a ballpark.