Hey, Fat Girl!

Options
I posted this a while back, and wanted to make sure that new people saw it.

Many of us starting the "Couch-2-5K" program have felt like this 'fat girl' or 'fat boy'. I know I did. The first time I read this, I cried like a baby. I still well up.

A short 7 weeks into this program, and while I'm still 'a fat girl', I run holding my head up high and love seeing/greeting my fellow day-break joggers every morning.

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Happy running!!

Replies

• sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Totally love this!!!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I keep that saved since I saw you send it out a time before. :) It's refreshingly motivating. :)
  • 78nSunny
    78nSunny Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow... I am at a loss for words. Which is rare. If that were about a "Fat-Boy" it would be me. I just recently joind the MFP group and had been using calorie king since the begining of January. At that time (tipping the scales at 260), I was so concerned of what the "neighbors" would think about me walking the neighborhood in the daylight I would get up at 3:45am so that I could get in a 2.5 mile walk before Leaving for work. Not until I weight about 230 did I even think about walking when the sun was up. Even when I hit my 225 goal and rewarded my self with starting a running program (yes that really was my 225 reward, my knees would never have held up before that) I was really worried about the "looks". Now, at 218 and movin on .... if they don't like the way the earth shakes when I run by then they better HOLD ON!!!!
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Wow... I am at a loss for words. Which is rare. If that were about a "Fat-Boy" it would be me. I just recently joind the MFP group and had been using calorie king since the begining of January. At that time (tipping the scales at 260), I was so concerned of what the "neighbors" would think about me walking the neighborhood in the daylight I would get up at 3:45am so that I could get in a 2.5 mile walk before Leaving for work. Not until I weight about 230 did I even think about walking when the sun was up. Even when I hit my 225 goal and rewarded my self with starting a running program (yes that really was my 225 reward, my knees would never have held up before that) I was really worried about the "looks". Now, at 218 and movin on .... if they don't like the way the earth shakes when I run by then they better HOLD ON!!!!

Yup, know that feeling well. So glad that you too are realizing your worth and potential. :)
  • corduroybee
    corduroybee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I wish I would have read that months ago when I was worrying about what people would think when they saw a fat girl jiggling around the neighborhood. In the end I finally stopped caring, but it took me a long time to get to that point. So far I've only had one car load of teens yell something stupid at me. But I've gotten a high five from a passing runner, a "way to go!" from from a lady in the park, and a friendly honk and a cheer from a passing car.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    That is awesome. I wish I would have read that months ago when I was worrying about what people would think when they saw a fat girl jiggling around the neighborhood. In the end I finally stopped caring, but it took me a long time to get to that point. So far I've only had one car load of teens yell something stupid at me. But I've gotten a high five from a passing runner, a "way to go!" from from a lady in the park, and a friendly honk and a cheer from a passing car.

:) Feels good to be counted as "one of them" and even better when you get to be that encouraging nod, smile or greeting for someone else :)
  • aquariansmb
    aquariansmb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This gave me goosebumps. I love it! Thank you for sharing it!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I really love this. I loved it when I first read it, and I was the fat girl going out for walks, trying to pluck up the courage to run a little bit. I still love it now, even though I'm not so much the fat girl any more. I'm still really slow, and I still feel ungainly, and not really "a runner", and I do feel self-conscious when I pass more experienced runners. I just try to imagine that they're thinking like this guy though!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    LOL I walk the dog at 6am because thats when I can fit it in before work, and I have been known to go in my pj's. The local dog walking community know it so I dont care if they see me start to run, they are a friendly bunch. Luckily for me I will be running on bush walking tracks so there really arnt a lot of people about and no one driving by or peeking out their windows. Not that I would care, I go out in my jammies after all....
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I needed this today!
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reposting -- I would have hated to have missed this. It really made my night.
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing that. It really moved me. And most of all, it motivates me so much.
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for posting this. How appropriate and timely!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    yeah. I was surprised at my hesitancy about getting out there that first time. I dug down back to when I was the fit one and saw me now through the eyes of me then. There was nothing but "You go, Girl!" Why do we assign such negativity to other people and why do we let it get in the way of self-improvement?