What are you packing for the delivery?

Options
suzybardi
suzybardi Posts: 6 Member
I feel like I'm going a little overboard with the bags. I have one for labor, one for after labor, and one for the baby. What is everyone bringing with them to the hospital?

Replies

• mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I plan on bringing toiletries, hand sanitizer, a nice comfy robe and slippers, a soft bow for the baby's head for pics/visitors, (baby's stuff/clothes, layette set, car seat), my ipad, cell phone, chargers, and an outfit for me to leave the hospital in... I will be there for 4 days due to my mandatory C-Section, so I have to pack for a couple of things.. There are things that the hospital provides like those comfy underwear, blankets, etc... LOL:tongue:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm going a little overboard with the bags. I have one for labor, one for after labor, and one for the baby. What is everyone bringing with them to the hospital?

You probably are (no offense!) - keep in mind that you will be sent home with more stuff than you came with (not counting the baby) because you will be getting freebies, paperwork, and most likely gifts (balloons, flowers, etc.). I remember leaving the hospital, and my husband had to make a couple of trips out to the car first before we could all leave with the baby.

You really don't need as much as you think you will, generally speaking.

The big things for labor are chap-stick/lip balm and any preferred music, plus anything you want to read if you know you'll be hanging around for a while, plus a camera for post-delivery photos. Your phone may do just fine if its camera is good, and then you can use it to make calls or shoot out a mass text and/or Facebook post.

For yourself, you'll want a robe and slippers (hospitals are cold), flip-flops for the shower, toiletries (especially your own toothbrush and hair dryer - the hospital can provide you with other basics), snacks (because hospital meals are only so-so and never arrive when you are free to eat, so you always eat them cold), a camera (still and video, if your phone isn't good for these), your cell phone, a laptop or iPad/tablet, something to read, your own pillow if you are very attached to yours, and an outfit (still likely a maternity outfit) to wear home.

I only warn against your own birthing gown and your own underwear and pajamas at the hospital because it can get messy, especially the former (I'd think the birthing gown would simply need to be thrown out!). I did have a couple of leaks from postpartum bleeding, and I was happy to buzz the nurse and just ask for a new hospital gown and new mesh underwear. However, some people are only comfortable in their own pajamas, so know that you might get blood on them (or your baby might pee through his/her diaper onto you - that happened to me once as well). You will likely want to use the mesh underwear with those awesome industrial-sized maxi pads - but some people hate them and want to wear their own panties. Keep in mind that you may need to toss them, so no Victoria's Secret - stick to Hanes or other cotton cheapies.

For your baby, you really need little to nothing. Everything s/he needs is provided by the hospital, and what they have (shirts/onesies, blankets, etc.) is fine. Before you go home, you'll obviously need to have your car seat installed, but otherwise just bring an outfit to bring him/her home in. My son fell asleep just as we were about to leave, and he was still in his little hospital shirt and hat with diaper, so I tucked him into his car seat with the hospital blanket.

Bring an extra tote bag in your bag, though, for the extras. (Those reusable grocery bags are great for this.) Seriously, grab all you can from the little bassinet - like diapers, wipes, creams, formula, etc. (Even if you don't use formula, you can snag it for someone else who does.). Grab extra maxi pads and mesh underwear and, if you can, the "chux" (the big square pads they put on your hospital bed in case you leak).

I think this list is pretty good: http://www.babycenter.com/packing-for-the-hospital-or-birth-center?showAll=true
  • suzybardi
    Options
    I guess it's probably different for me because I will be delivering at a Military hospital.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I guess it's probably different for me because I will be delivering at a Military hospital.

Ohhh, gotcha. I'm not sure what is provided, then. You may very well not be overpacking! (I could ask my MIL, but her youngest (a/k/a my husband) is turning 35 this week, and it's a question that probably has a four-hour answer. The most recent military-family mom I know was somehow able to switch from on-base healthcare to off-base despite having a normal pregnancy, so she ended up delivering at the same hospital I did.)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm also delivering at a military hospital, and I plan to have the following bags:

- A bag for me & labor: toilet paper (softer than offered on base), tooth brush, tooth paste, brush/comb, hair tie, clothes to labor in or robe/slippers, any music/books for during labor, and a change of clothes for after
    - A bag for baby: fingernail clippers (as their nails when born are long and it was recommended to me by the base's lactation consultant that you don't want to put the mits on the babies because the skin-to-skin contact promotes stimulation in the breast to make the colostrum come better), set of clothes to take her home in, baby book (when they foot print her I want them to make a print in the baby book with the extra ink before cleaning it off)
    - A bag for dad: cell phone, camera & chargers, snacks (which I will sneak if hungry when nurses aren't around), change of clothes, his toiletries, swim trunks (our military hospital I've been told has a birthing pool!), and anything he wants to pass the time (tablet, book, etc.)

We'll have a doula that will bring other items and the base provides quite a bit of stuff as far as labor aids are concerned (birthing stool, ball, pool, bar for over bed for leaning, etc.). Best thing for you to know what to bring is to get a tour of the L&D ward and make notes of what they'll provide so you don't bring what's already there. Hope this helps!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I followed the list provided by the hospital, and in the end I didn't use a lot of what I brought. Here's what I used:

Labour bag - lip balm, warm socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, bobby pins, snacks and comfy clothes for DH, camera, cell phones and chargers
    Hospital bag - 2 lounge outfits, flip flops, toiletries, hairdryer, snacks (granola bars, lactation cookies, raspberry leaf tea bags, travel mug), magazines
    Baby bag - going home outfit, baby wipes, diapers

The hospital provided the rest, including things that were on the "What to pack" list, such as sanitary products for myself.
    - A bag for baby: fingernail clippers (as their nails when born are long and it was recommended to me by the base's lactation consultant that you don't want to put the mits on the babies because the skin-to-skin contact promotes stimulation in the breast to make the colostrum come better)

We were advised to use an emery board/nail file to maintain baby's nails. They're so wiggly there's a good chance of pinching their fingers with the clippers. Also, when DD was born her nails were super soft and curled over the tops of her fingers so we had to wait a while for them to loosen, and in the beginning they just peeled away on their own. Now I file DD's nails about once a week while she's nursing.

ETA: I know a few people said the hospital was cold, but your hormones will be all over the place and you could have hot flashes/night sweats, so try to pack warm and cool pjs, just in case you wake up too warm/cold.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you have good friends or close family visiting you in the hospital, they can always bring you stuff! My sister brought me snacks because I'd forgotten, and I did the same for her when she was in the hospital after having her second. My husband also slept at home (we have dogs), plus he did have to go into the office some, since we're self-employed, so he did have the ability to bring me stuff, including Chick-Fil-A (YUM!), on his way back into the hospital.

Shoot, maybe that's why I ended up with so much stuff to bring home!!!
  • suzybardi
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I have compiled everything I have been told that I might like to have. I will be delivering at a military hospital in Germany. I have re-packed my bags it seems like for the 100th time.

This is what I have in my car right now.

Labor Bag:
    Pretty pusher black delivery gown with matching headband (amazon.com), black bathrobe, hair ties, bobby pins, Birthplan, Slippers, socks, lotion, chapstick and light make-up, sugar free jolly ranchers, Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste), granola bars, Ipad & charger, camera and charger, lose change and cash & shower shoes. All of this fit in a small sack pack.

After labor:
    Sweat suit with zip up hoodie, extra bag for taking home gifts and things from the hospital, pads, button up pj's, nursing pads, cream, mothers milk tea with travel mug, 2 nursing tanks, 2 lose lounge pants, 2 nursing bras, 6 black panties, a set of my smaller maternity clothes to go home in, toiletries, roll of charmin, blowdryer and straightner, Everything fit into a small carry on bag.

Babies bag:
    2 sleep and play zip up outfits, 1 going home outfit with a jacket and boots, recieving blankets, soap for first bath, emeryboard,

I have a gift to give to my son from his sister when he gets to the hospital in my trunk.
    I also have my boppy pillow in my car and 3 towels just in case I need them.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The only thing they really foot-stomped at my base was having the car seat. Usually base hospitals are pretty prepared & have everything you need -- although it's not very cute or photo friendly :O).