I am SICK of being obese!

Options
And I definitely hate it and feel disgusted whenever a health care professional has told me I am considered Obese. It sounds like they are calling me some type of animal name. I hate it! Ugh.

I'm Sarah, 24 years old and Mama to two beautiful girls, partially why I am overweight.. those cravings during pregnancy sure took a toll on my body! I am 240lbs and my goal weight is 170. Am I crazy? yes.

It's hard. It has been hard. It WILL be hard. Counting calories, making sure I eat enough of this, of that, yada yada. But everyday, I wake up thinking "I am one day fatter and one day more that it'll be hard to chase my girls around" and it needs to stop. Who cares if it's hard? I worked out last night to the point my feet felt like they were on FIRE. But I burned more calories than expected!

With this type of mentality, I'm sure I could lose maybe 20lbs by the summer.

Does anyone have any beginner tips they like to share?

Replies

• LilMrsSmarty
    LilMrsSmarty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are on the path to success. You understand that it will be hard - and it will. It has taken me 3 years to go from 242 to my current 167. I have learned, I have failed, I have succeeded. The thing is that you HAVE to do it for you! Having inspirations is one thing- but YOU must be ready to put the work in. You sound like you are there.

It is a process that you will NEVER feel like you understand! You have to be okay with that and STILL strive to accomplish your goals. Set tons of them! Little ones... accomplish one, jump up and down, and move on to the next one!

Change your lifestyle and it will be so much easier! (Don't "diet" - just change your diet.)
    Sugar is a HUGE inhibitor of weight loss. Cut it out as much as you can.
    Drink water!
    Every day is a NEW day. If you make a mistake and willpower was just not hanging out with you that day- forget about it the next morning and START OVER. =)

You will succeed on your journey- Shoot for strong days and restful nights! =)
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My best advice and what I tell myself constantly is to be consistent. My problem is usually that I give up. I don't see results fast enough and I give up. My goal right now is to just continue ~ no matter what.
    :-)
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!! Your words of encouragement are very much appreciated! I just feel confused and don't know where to turn. I read stories of how this one man went from 344 to losing 100lbs in 6 months, but yet I read another one where someone has los only 20lbs in 5 months. It's just so confusing, being new and all to this eating healthy lifestyle.
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I applaude you for wanting to get in gear & take control of your life again. I also have 2 girls, they are 13 & 9 so using the "baby weight" as reason for being over weight for me seems ridiculous but I have done it. I was in shape up until after I gave birth to my
    first child & then it just seemed to pack on more & more & I didn't notice & or didn't care. I decided in June of last year I had ENOUGH! My starting weight was 212.9 & I am now 177. According to BMI I am still "overweight" but I feel GREAT! I have been called skinny for the first time in YEARS! I still have some more weight to lose & due to those lovely stretch marks a bikini will NEVER :cry: be a possibility for me. However looking as good as I can in a tankini is my goal :happy: Sorry for rambling, I wish you the best in your lifestyle change. There will be tough times but hang in there, the results will be totally worth it!!!
  • alhunt8587
    Options
    The most important things are to stick with it no matter what (we all slip up, you just have to keep on going!) and drink lots and lots of water!!! It's not about dieting, it is about making a lifestyle change! You can do this, just keep your head in the game! :)
  • tlsmith718
    Options
    I applaude you for taking the first step in getting healthy! You have said "I am sick of being obese" and you want to do something about it!

It can be quite confusing with all the advice and info out there on how to "get healthy". Maybe first define for yourself what that means to you. Make a list of all the things you want for you then make an action plan to help you see how you will achieve those goals. Start small! Start with one or two items. It can be very overwhelming if you try to do everything at once! Give yourself time for each change, reward yourself for your accomplishments. When you have made a new change into a new healthy habit, move onto the next step and keep adding to the new habits! I think the key is breaking down our goals into baby steps.

SMART goal is a good acronym to go by also...
    S: specific
    M: measurable
    A: Attainable
    R: relevant
    T: timely

Enlist the help of people in your circle that have achieved their goals, check out your local grocery store too. They often have a dietitian on staff that can help you navigate the store and work with you on making healthy, tasty choices. There are so many books out there too...but I say find one that seems doable for you and forget the rest of them!

You will be successful! Believe in you!

Best wishes!
  • ampongdk
    Options
    I am with you hunny, we can do this together.
  • klymt918
    klymt918 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have two children as well, and I have gained over 50 pounds during pregnancy that I have been unable to take off. It has been two years since I was pregnant. I have tried so many times to lose the weight, but I acknowledge that my problem up until know is that I was too ambitious and expected these ridiculous results. My advice to you is to applaud every small step you take. Look in the mirror everyday and tell yourself that you are beautiful, strong, ect. Changing your inner voice, and your mindset is in my opinion, one of the most important things that you could do on this journey. You'll find that your more inclined to respond to positive feedback than negative feedback, especially when it is coming from yourself. If you need any help let me know, I have spent years learning about nutrition, weight training and other aspects in regards to weight loss and overall well-being, but up until know I haven't been able to utilize these skills properly because I haven't had the right mindset. Now I do! Believing in youself is the first step!