Alpine Relay App

Options
LowcarbNY
LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
I'm going to try using a new app today too track my runs. Alpine Relay. I'll let you know what I think of it. Anyone else use it?

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'm going to try using a new app today too track my runs. Alpine Relay. I'll let you know what I think of it. Anyone else use it?
    I know a few people that use it and they enjoy seeing their stats at the end of the day. I wish I still had an iPhone so I could get it. Hope you like it!
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    Well I failed.

I've got one battery (that went through the washing machine). It works but for some reason the GPS doesn't work when this battery is in the phone(I just discovered) . Well, that is the battery I started out with and I never got a GPS fix so the app didn't do anything.
    I changed the battery at lunch time and confirmed that GPS was working (with a different app) but apparently this app was still confused and continued logging time but no fix or elevation. I noticed this at the end of the day. When I stopped the app from logging and submitted the bad results and then restarted logging it appeared to start working but the day was over and I was in the base lodge by then.

I'm taking off and skiing tomorrow so I'll try again, this time w/o the washed up battery. It seems that if the app is started at a time when there is not a good GPS signal that it may get hung up on "waiting for GPS fix". I've had to stop logging, submit and then start again to get it to work. Just stop and start would not fix it. FYI, YMMV.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Its a cool app but its a bit buggy...

Issues that I have
    - My jacket is just a shell, not insulated, even on an inside pocket the cold kills my battery after about 3 or 4 runs.
    - The top speed is not always accurate, just cruising it pegged me at 22mph ave with top speed of 28mph, the next run i took a straight, steep, hardpacked black, and pretty much bombed it, i was expecting something in the mid to high 30's at least but it tracked me at 17mph.
    - Jump and lift algorithms are not accurate, I took 5 runs and it counted 2, but then gave me a whole bunch of "resting time", i looked at the map and it shows me snowboarding back up hill rather than catching the lift. For jumps it counts a rail slide as a jump as well, so I hit 2 jumps and 4 rails in a run and it says 6 jumps.
    - If the battery dies while its tracking the next time i log in it acts like I had been running the app for tons of hours and attributes it to rest time.

That all said, once people start picking up the app, and they are getting more revenue and can work out the kinks this is going to be a lot of fun. I personally like the ability to GPS track your friends - especially helpful at huge resorts if you want to take different runs. I still like to use it even though the stats I am getting are far from accurate.
  • dellrio
    Options
    but apparently this app was still confused and continued logging time but no fix or elevation. I noticed this at the end of the day. When I stopped the app from logging and submitted the bad results

I bet you got the "Couch Potato Trophy" for that bad result, I think I get couch potato trophy every day and I never stop moving. :-)
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    So I'm not liking Alpine Relay very much. But I'll try it for a few more days before making a final decision.
    It relies on logging the whole time you are skiing and then submitting the result at the end of the day.
    If your battery runs out. You loose it all
    If the app crashes or hands. You loose it all
    If your phone reboots You loose it all
    If you forget to submit the results . You loose it all

I had also loaded Phresheez to my phone and it logged everything it did and didn't require me to start logging, stop logging or submit the results. It does require $ to see anything more than just basic results from your last outing.
  • dellrio
    Options
    I agree - I like the concept of Alpine Replay, but it still has a long way to come before it gets popular. I tried SkiTracker app as well, but I like that a little less than AlpineReplay.

I just bought an extended life battery for my phone, and will be on my board in 2 hours - I will let you know tomorrow if that helped.
  • dellrio
    Options
    App kind of sucks - my battery lived the entire time - this app can not track well at all. In 59 minutes it said I did 1 run and 0 Jumps. Said i spent 18 minutes resting, but I never stopped, I ride a short hill, run is a little under half mile in length. In the 59 minutes logged it registered 1 run but I did 10, it registered 0 Jumps and I did 18. It pegged my top speed at 22MPH, and thats a little slow considering what I am used to, I felt like I was going faster. The Map shows me snowboarding uphill, but did not follow my path either, you could see some of my turns at the top and bottom, but in between it was a straight line.

After I sent these stats I logged 2 more hours, and that did not register anything at all.
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    App kind of sucks -

Which app?
  • dellrio
    Options
    App kind of sucks -

Which app?

Alpine Replay - the concept is awesome, i would pay for an app like this is the stats worked, problem is it is way too buggy and annoying.
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    I agree, I just don't even trust for sure that it is running.
    I paid for a year of Phresheez.
  • ghettobanker
    Options
    I got two apps to track skiing....one even tracks jumps....length and air time. Crazy...it is called Snoway.