transitioning from treadmill to outside

Options
mrd210
mrd210 Posts: 1 Member
I have been working on C25k exclusively on the treadmill, and I am up to week 7 day 3 (25 mins straight). With the nice weather coming up (I'm in eastern PA), I would like to take a run outside. There is a level walking path that I'm planning to run. I've been doing the program at a 1.5% incline to compensate. I'm wondering how others have transitioned to running outside, and what I can expect.

Replies

• ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is set for 1.5%. I find it easier to run outside than on the treadmill. That said, the path may be harder than the treadmill and can impose its own effort. It will be different.

Enjoy.
  • shinyhappyrae
    shinyhappyrae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I moved from treadmill to outside a few days ago - right at week 7 day 3 funnily enough. I was just too lazy to drive to the gym so went around my super hilly neighbourhood instead. I had been on the treadmill at no incline. It was harder but totally doable!! If you have been running at an incline I would say you'll be fine. I went again outside last night for w8d1 and no problem (just cold).
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I went from treadmill to outside. I'm currently in week 6 day 2. I think its harder to run outside. There are a lot of hills where I live. Also I used to watch TV while running on the treadmill and it would distract me. I
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm one of the strange people who find it easier to run outside than on the treadmill. I can't do the same kind of speed, but much prefer it and find it much easier to keep going. I find that with the altering camber and incline/decline plus the weather, and just being out the run feels easier - with the treadmill its the same, continually - never an easier bit :-) I would say go for it, just enjoy it. I do both, its really nasty here now so I'm running on the treadmill, but will get outside whenever I can
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who prefers to run outside. Winter in New England is forcing me to use the treadmill more than I would like.
    I find the treadmill both easier and harder than running outside, The running itself is easier. My pace is much faster on the treadmill, even with a 1.5 incline. However, I find it so boring, I spend a lot of time getting out of my own head. I just do not enjoy it as I do running outside.

We're currently having our January thaw. I am hoping to be able to run outside on Saturday.