New and looking for some Paleo/Primal Friends and question

Options
IAmABetterMe
IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
So I am kind of new to Paleo/Primal...and sort of new to MFP... So I am looking for some friends......:smile:

and I have a question...... What would you eat for breakfast if you follow the Auto-Immune Protocol? Since I am not suppose to do eggs

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hang out in these forums - you will find lots of support and fellow paleoific people. I don't have a quick answer to the no egg thing - because I love them and eat tons. Maybe some pre cooked chicken breasts - or you could just go bulletproof coffee ;)
  • IAmABetterMe
    Options
    I do the sweet potato hash with both chicken and pork but it gets kind of boring. Also does anyone do the bone broth?
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I had bone broth for breakfast this morning and ate it with some sea kelp noodles.
    I would say to eat anything for breakfast and not think of specific times of the day with specific foods.
    I happily eat leftover curries,steaks,etc in the morning,it just takes some getting used to
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make my own cereal with nuts, coconut, dates..and some other things. Everyday Paleo and Pale Omg are two web sites that have some good recipes
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Anjelevil is correct. I bust my co-worker's balls all the time. I don't get how breakfast is this magical time of the day where only these very specific foods are allowed. It's just inane.

Protip: Keep your breakfast pretty much as carb-free as you can.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Would ditto @johnnull & @anjelevil about shedding idea of what is breakfast, and the carb thing. Saving some carbs before bed will help you sleep better--heresy to Weight Watchers everywhere I'm sure, hoping to burn off that granola bar by lunch time.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do eat egg whites and spinach, but more often I may eat salmon or tilapia for breakfast, cold shrimp too. No longer do I think of certain foods for certain meals. Since I have a lot of weight to lose and want to be more muscular, I eat loads of protein and eat what I can get wild at the market. I have eaten shark for breakfast too! Bulletproof coffee if I am running late! It carries me the entire day :)
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Anjelevil is correct. I bust my co-worker's balls all the time. I don't get how breakfast is this magical time of the day where only these very specific foods are allowed. It's just inane.

Protip: Keep your breakfast pretty much as carb-free as you can.

I am trying to overcome my "breakfast mentality" but I can't quit seem to shake it. Thankfully I can do eggs but I am trying to be more open to other options and leftovers. Baby steps I guess.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    So I am kind of new to Paleo/Primal...and sort of new to MFP... So I am looking for some friends......:smile:

and I have a question...... What would you eat for breakfast if you follow the Auto-Immune Protocol? Since I am not suppose to do eggs

Anything you'd consider good for uncheck or dinner. Leftovers work great.

Maybe a banana with almond butter? Or some fruit (and yoghurt, if you allow it). I used to like an avocado with some canned (or leftover) salmon drizzled in balsamic vinegar.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would just go with some type of veggie and meat - easy peasy...

You don't have to do "breakfast" type foods.

Make some homemade jerky for a grab and go type treat - pair with something like baby carrots or pepper strips with some guacamole
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I either have eggs with veggies and meat thrown in or I make a pan of paleo pumpkin bars or somthing similar so I can just grab them and go in the morning. I think my recipe came from paleomg.com.

*I lieu of eggs (because I don't have reading comprehension skills) you can always just eat some meat and veggies. I often just have dinner leftovers.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You can have bacon and... bacon. I love asparagus for breakfast. Sometimes I eat it with bacon or sausage. Avocado is a good breakfast choice.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I second everyone with the whole throw out the breakfast mentality. I take that as a time to eat leftovers from the night before.

Reheat roasted chicken and sweet potatoes or veggies.

Tuna/chicken salad with homemade paleo mayo on a bed of lettuce with chopped avocado

Reheated salmon cakes with guacamole and massaged kale salads

Or if I'm lazy, I'll eat a Primal Pac with a cup or two of homemade bone broth for breakfast.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    make extra for supper and have leftovers!! doesnt have to be "breakfast" food , I have tuna for breakfast sometimes :tongue:
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    great ideas - bump
  • IAmABetterMe
    Options
    So I know have a new FAVORITE BREAKFAST and thought I would share...It's from PaleOMG... and it's so OMG GOOD!

Ingredients
    •1 cup sliced almonds
    •1 cup pumpkin seeds
    •½ cup pecans, chopped
    •½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    •½ cup coconut oil (or other oil)
    •½ cup raw honey (I use)
    •¼ cup maple syrup ( I OMIT)
    •1 cup dried cranberries OR blueberries OR raisins OR whateverthehellyouwant
    •1 tablespoon cinnamon
    •1 teaspoon salt

Instructions
    1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    2.Add all ingredients to a large microwavable bowl, except the fruit.
    3.Mix well. If the honey is thick, heat up in the microwave for about 30 seconds and mix well.
    4.Place on a baking sheet (use parchment paper for easy clean up).
    5.Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to help it not burn.
    6.When you pull it out of the oven, mix in dried fruit. Let cool.
    7.Consume!! Even eat it with some almond milk or coconut milk. Soo good duuuuuude.

If anyone doesn't understand the egg thing for Auto-immune here's and explaination:http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol-eggs.html

If you haven't check out her blog before... it's VERY Informative

Cheers!
  • Nyjae
    Nyjae Posts: 4
    Options
    I personally don't do well having much in the way of carbs for breakfast, especially fruit. I think that's just me though. I always have to pair fruit with a fat or I sugar-crash.

During the week I've been having coffee with a little coconut oil and a cup of bone broth. That keeps me going until lunchtime and beyond. On weekends I generally have eggs with a cup of black coffee, many times I add bacon (nitrate free), but not always. Occasionally my husband will fry up some potatoes and I'll have a bit with my eggs. Bad, I know.. but hey, its my 20% and I don't react badly to potatoes.