Late 40's and menopause

Options
Yes ladies, I said that dreaded "M" word and I don't mean "Men". :-)

As perimenopause/menopause are starting to settle in, I'm definitely noticing that the weight is not coming off very easy. Actually, I feel like it's creeping on really easy. I'm not happy about that at all.

I'm trying to stay motivated with exercise and started following the "counting calories" aspect, but with the holidays and working in a department that really knows how to eat... it's frustrating and hard. Oy vey!

Any suggestions you have for what works with your struggles would be much appreciated!

Dora :happy:

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting a high fat, high protein diet. Fat, especially saturated fats, preserve muscle and help with weight loss. I'll eat plenty of carbs on endurance training days, but otherwise I'm going to give this a try for a while and see what I'm able to accomplish.

Since reducing carbs, I've noticed that a lot of the perimenopause symptoms have subsided. I still get the hot flashes, especially at night, but the fatigue and moodiness have all but disappeared. Food cravings are much better now, as well.

If you are uncomfortable with a high saturated fat diet, try just eliminating vegetable oil from your diet. Vegetable oil has a lot of omega 6 fatty acids, which impair hormone production and uptake in the brain. Switch to olive oil, coconut oil, or sesame oil instead. This is what body builders use to preserve muscle mass while cutting body fat percentage.

And don't forget to eat plenty of protein. Aim for 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass.
  • nicew0
    nicew0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and trying to get re-motivated. I let it all go for several months and I've got the body (and mind) to show for it!
    But today is a new day, started it with an early morning walk/jog. I'm thinking about rejoining Weigh Watchers just for some accountability. Not crazy about the Points Plus program for the 40+ crowd.
  • Seattlegeminiya
    Options
    I am a Pescetarian so protein is limited. I get most of my protein from fish (don't eat it much though), tofu, tempeh and lentils. I think staying away from sweets and carbs is my downfall and really need to work harder on snacking on veggies/fruits. I work in a horrible environment where everyone definitely loves to eat.

Give me strength!!
  • MollyMLawson
    Options
    This perimenopause is kicking my bootie. No, actually, my bootie is just getting bigger! I remember hearing women warn me about this stage, but I didnt heed their warnings. Now I'm in a bind. And my clothes are binding. (: But it's a new day and a new year. I am thankful, and I am ready to make some changes. I like the idea of cutting carbs and thus reducing the symptoms. That is worth a try. And I, too, need to become friendlier with veggies and fruits as my snacking buddies. It's so nice to know that others are going through the same struggles. I have friends who don't seem to be experiencing any of the same problems, and I feel so alone and like a failure. It'll be good to have others to chat with about the journey.
  • DawnM411
    DawnM411 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what I am "officially" catergorized as, my mom said I am still in menopause since I am on HRT (total hysterectomy when I was 41) and in the beginning I lost weight and was doing well. I was self employed and a "housewife" so I stayed busy with promoting my business, yard and house work etc. Then my work dried up and I took a part time admin job where I sit all day and the pounds started creeping on. On a brighter note, my new HRT is working great with the symptoms, but the weight is not going anywhere! It is especially bad in the belly area - I can't stand it anymore. So I joined here, will start being accountable on a FB group, and vow to bring the WII out and start using the fitness "games" on a regular basis - no excuses this year!!

Menopause is rough enough, but something has to give before I split anymore pants!! I like the idea of the higher protein and fats but feel limiting my carbs will set me up for failure!
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat ladies. The signs are approaching. I have a sister seven years older than myself so I get a pretty clear view of what is approaching from a genetic point of view. I gave birth just 2 years ago at age 44 to a sweet healthy baby boy ( no fertility meds) and my body doesn't want to let go of the damn baby weight. I know this is the year to force it to come off before I go full blown menopause and it becomes even more difficult. It ticks me off when I see my 20-year younger counterparts on my birth board snap back to their pre- pregnancy weights during their 12- week maternity leave. I still have mine almost 2 years later...grrrr! Ah well. The 40s are awesome in a lot of ways.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and pre-menopausal. The night sweats and hot flashes were some serious business, I'll tell ya! Last year my husband and I went on a hormone replacement therapy. It helped a great deal, but it is EX...PEN...SIVE! OMG. Perhaps if I can get this weight off while I'm doing that therapy, I'll be more prepared for when I come OFF of the HRT and get flung back into the flashes.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I guess misery loves company because I am glad I am not alone. :flowerforyou:

Everything I am doing should technically mean a loss on the scale but it is not budging. Trying different things to see what I can find to work with me.
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Same boat here!! I have been struggling for a while now. If I lose 5 lbs. I wake after 1 day of bad eating and it is right back on and takes two weeks or more to lose again. So I hate seeing those comments when people say one day won't hurt ( they must not be 44 yet ) lol
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, don't eat refined carbs, and eat enough protein. The extra belly fat is the worst. I used to have a flat stomach, and I totally just took it for granted. I had NO idea. Now this is the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it. Crazy.
  • justme222
    Options
    Hi to all
    I'm brand new to this group. I joined MFP 2 years ago, dropped, and am now back. I'm 47, been through menopause. My advice to a lot of you is to get your thyroid and vitamin D levels checked. Both of mine were completely out of whack. I need to lose @20 pounds but am feeling better i.e. no brain fog, extreme fatigue, dry skin, depression etc.

Losing weight is extremely hard, but I'm not giving up or giving in this time!