New to Medifast - Started on Monday

I'm not new to MFP - I had lost 51 pounds until mid-year in 2012, but after my daughter's wedding in May, I ate too much leftover cake and kicked my cravings back into high gear. Have been slowly putting weight back on, and after several short-lived attempts to get back into a motivated and focused mode, I decided to try this, to see if it would do the trick. Monday was a piece of, um, cake. :-). Yesterday, I was hungry all day, and wound up, on the advice of my health coach, eating a 6th Medifast meal just to deal with it.

Today, I'm dealing with a massive headache that Tylenol didn't touch, and feel terrible. I know to give it a few days before I draw any conclusions, but I tracked down this group to be among others on the same program.

I locked down my diary, because I had friends that would chastise me for going even a few calories below 1200 before Medifast, and I don't want to have to explain and defend my decision to try this program ongoingly. I was thrilled to discover that the MFP database has the Medifast foods in it already, since I'm already accustomed to the app and have a great network of friends here. I didn't want to give-up MFP!

Replies

• tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Welcome to Medifast! My husband and I are both doing it and it is an awesome program! However, the first week is really tough so I feel your pain. Please feel free to add me as a friend because we need more MF people on here so we can have some support! I have also thought about closing my diary as well because there are people that will talk about my calories being low and I get frustrated with trying to defend it. What is great about the MF meals is you get all the vitamins and minerals that you need when you eat and I have more energy now than I did when I was eating on my own! Congrats on making the decision for Medifast and good luck to you!
  • I am a newbie as well, good luck!
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Welcome to Medifast and good luck to you as well! Feel free to add me also.
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Good for you to keep trying!! Today makes 44 weeks on medifast for me and I'm not lovin' it. I'm still in the weight loss phase which is disappointing. I feel like I'm gonna exhaust my 12 mths contract without getting into the maintenance phase, then what?? I love to exercise but have always had trouble with the nutrition piece and portion sizes which is what I wanted medifast to help me with. I've lost 42 lbs in 44 weeks but was anticipating a much faster weight loss given that i work out 2-3 hours per day 5 days per week. Even with extra medifast meals and loads of extra protein I' m hungry alot. Hoping this forum can provide support - dieting is really old. Yes, I call this a diet and not a 'life-style' change because I can't go to the store and duplicate this food. Feeling hungry and grumpy.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Hi Kiwiwizard. You sound so discouraged. I'm really sorry to hear of the struggles you're having, which are understandable - but on the bright side, 42 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. It may not be the degree of success you were hoping for, but it is still success. Have you been checked for thyroid or other endocrine system issues like PCOS?

I know what you mean about not being able to go to the store to duplicate the food, although I was doing similar numbers, with a slightly higher percentage of carbs and 1200 calories when I was just straight MFP, and honestly, if you're willing to spend a lot of time figuring out what you're going to eat, plus the shopping and prepping, it IS do-able - with some supplements to cover your nutritional bases. I'm actually looking forward to not spending so much time figuring it out for awhile.

Are you going to one of the centers? I'm not - I'm just buying the food for the program and following the literature and consulting with my free health coach. That might be an option for you at the end of your contract - I don't have a long-term contract, and I'm thinking I like it that way.
  • proudmom2boys
    proudmom2boys Posts: 2 Member
    Kiwiwizard - Congratulations on releasing 42lb so far! That's awesome, even though it hasn't been as fast as you would like!It sounds like you are exercising too much for the 5&1, which could account for your slower weight loss. The recommendation is for no more than 45 minutes moderate-intensity exercise while on the 5&1. Have you thought about reducing your exercise for a week to see if that has any impact on your weight loss?
  • kimmy6779
    kimmy6779 Posts: 21 Member
    i started medifast on 1/1. looking for more mf'ers(haha) in my friends list, so all you other newbies add me!! i like to see everyones progress! i lost 7 pounds my week 1 weigh in, looking forward to week 2 weigh in!
  • kiwiwizard
    Thx 4 ur kind response. Hopefully ur headaches have gone away by now. I've had my thyroid checked several times & it always falls into 'normal' range. I have none of the symptons of PCOS but thxs for thinking that could also be a possibility. I'm encouraged just having your feedback so I don't feel so isolated. I totally get why you don't want to justify yourself and your food choices - I think it's challenging enough not 'beating ourself up' for unwise food choices and then having others offer their '2 cents worth.' hope all is going well with your weight loss goals with week!
  • kiwiwizard
    Way to go Kimmie - awesome 1st week!!
  • kiwiwizard
    Thx ProudMom for your feedback -appreciate it! I have DRASTICALLY cut back on my workout schedule since starting medifast. During my MF initial consult i was very upfront about my exercise routines (which were way more extensive then now) and was told I would only need to cut down for the 1st 2 weeks on the MF program and then could resume (hahaha). My MF center has had me on 3 different programs, including the diabetic program and i'm not diabetic. I've tried not working out for as much as 2 weeks at a time & each time have put on weight - but thx for the suggestion. I carry approx 80 lbs of lean muscle mass on my body so you would think I'd be burning calories like crazy even when at rest . . .
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    That massive headache is completely normal in your first week on program. The recommendation is to use some POWERADE ZERO for this, or have a few dill pickle spears (optional snack) or 1 cup of broth (condiment).
  • kiwiwizard
    Good 2 know luv2ash - I must have been really lucky not to get awful headaches when I started MF
  • My husband and I have been on medifast since June20 2012. He has reached his goal weight and I have not. I have 12 lbs to go. This has been the easiest diet I have been on. I have discovered though that when I started working out I stopped losing weight as fast. Been working out for about a month, but I can't be sure about the working out because we had Christmas in there and I know I ate good during that time = ). Weighed this morning and I am back to my "before the holidays" weight, so I feel I am back on track. So I wonder if exercise slows the weight lose? Maybe not? Also I know a few of our friends have had soy allergies and could not do medifast. Could that be a factor also for some folks not losing as well as others? Good Luck to all of you and if I can help in any way let me know. = )