Phase 1 - Workout 4

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Workout 4 is a 34-minute metabolic circuit training workout focusing on the back of the body that you perform during weeks 3 & 4 of the program. The workout follows the same pattern as the other metabolic training workouts in the system: short warm-up, 4 circuits repeated twice and a short cool down. Each circuit consists of 4 exercises performed back-to-back with a 1-minute cardio interval before repeating the circuit again. The workout consists of the following circuits:

Circuit 1 – alternating front lunges, static squat with rows, single leg deadlift with upright row (right) and single leg deadlift with upright row (right). Cardio interval: skaters.
Circuit 2 – side lunges with bicep curls, bent-over rows, kneel down/stand ups and step ups with hop. Cardio interval: side-to-side hops.
Circuit 3 – leg lifts (right), alternating leg raise in plank, leg lifts (left) and hollow man. Cardio interval: fast feet.
Circuit 4 – terry pulls (right), good mornings, terry pulls (left) and squirms. Cardio interval: jab/cross/hook/upper cut combinations.

Replies

• a_new_dawn
    Options
    Ok, today was my first attempt at workout 4.

This is one of those workouts where it's only as hard as YOU make it - It's all about the weights..the resistance determines the intensity.

I am using 2.5kgs and 4 kgs (5.5lb & 8.8lbs), and in some of the moves i did feel a little "challenged", not to the point of dying, but more-so than workouts 1-3, which is good.. it's not meant to be easy. One exercise in particular, "Terry pulls" made me realise just how much stronger my right arm is compared to my left when having my arm locked with my 8.8lb-ers. I'm gonna hurt in the morning, but it's all good!!

There are few balance moves in there and a little more plyo.

LOL @ mimi's good mornings - crazy woman!! :laugh: she's cool.
  • ericapabis
    ericapabis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So sore from this workout....a good sore though!!!!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    it was my last day of WO4 today, and it's amazing how i've adjusted to the heavier weights already. I love the feeling of strength, it's a brilliant natural high!
  • Gana1017
    Gana1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Doing this workout tonight and looking forward to it. I find after weeks 1 and 2 I have more energy and don't dread the workouts as much.
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Preferred W4 to W3 :)

I need to get heavier wrights. My heaviest weights are only 2.5kg I neeeed heavier!!!!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Preferred W4 to W3 :)

I need to get heavier wrights. My heaviest weights are only 2.5kg I neeeed heavier!!!!

i also had to invest in some new weights, i got some 4kgs. I might buy some even heavier ones for deadlift moves.
  • cristino1985
    cristino1985 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So today was my first day on workout 4 and it was another great burn 313 calories :) it was a killer on my shoulders though those surrenders and was it terry pulls?....they kill! But just got to think how great my arms will look in the summer yay! Did anybody else feel that the cool down at the end didn't stretch the shoulders enough for the amount of work that is done on them in this workout? I did a couple extra so I can make sure I am able to lift the children out of their cots :D
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Did this for the first time today. The kneel downs were a lot tougher than I anticipated but I made it through the rest pretty well. I had to bump down in weight on the bent over rows because they hurt my lower back. Any ideas on how to adjust for that?

I definitely prefer this one to workout 3. I predict I'll need more than two weeks with this set and that's okay.

I'm debating going to Zumba again tonight. It seemed to stretch things out yesterday.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    So today was my first day on workout 4 and it was another great burn 313 calories :) it was a killer on my shoulders though those surrenders and was it terry pulls?....they kill! But just got to think how great my arms will look in the summer yay! Did anybody else feel that the cool down at the end didn't stretch the shoulders enough for the amount of work that is done on them in this workout? I did a couple extra so I can make sure I am able to lift the children out of their cots :D

My arms felt those terry pulls, especially as i was using 4kgs! I quite often do a few extra stretches, you kinda have to listen to your body and go with it when you need it. I think it helps prevent soreness the following day to some extent.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Did this for the first time today. The kneel downs were a lot tougher than I anticipated but I made it through the rest pretty well. I had to bump down in weight on the bent over rows because they hurt my lower back. Any ideas on how to adjust for that?

I definitely prefer this one to workout 3. I predict I'll need more than two weeks with this set and that's okay.

I'm debating going to Zumba again tonight. It seemed to stretch things out yesterday.

bent over rows used to hurt my back. Its all about form. Keep your core tight and your back strong, its all about positioning, try adjusting it slightly until it feels more comfortable.
  • cristino1985
    Options
    HOLLOW MAN.....today jillian, I hate you! Haha feels good though!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    HOLLOW MAN.....today jillian, I hate you! Haha feels good though!

We can all relate to your love/hate relationship with Jillian!!
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I did WO4 yesterday for the first time. WHAT THE HELL? That woman is trying to kill me, I just know it. I'm still sore from WO3 so lord knows how I'm going to feel toorrow. I never thought I would say thank God its Cardio Day today!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The backs of my legs hurt... Hamstrings, but only in the middle-ish of them, wrapping around the sides. lol Yesterday was my first time with WO4. Shoulders & mid-back are tight & sore as well. :happy:
  • cristino1985
    Options
    I really prefer wo4 over wo3 though I must admit I do find them both difficult, I don't know what muscles they are working different from wo1+2 but once again my right hip and left calf are feeling it. I will struggle on though because I know it will all be worth it. I'm just slightly disheartened the scales haven't moved in two weeks, I wasn't too good on the diet last week but this week I've been amazingly good for me and still no shift! Oh well patience is a virtue!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I really prefer wo4 over wo3 though I must admit I do find them both difficult, I don't know what muscles they are working different from wo1+2 but once again my right hip and left calf are feeling it. I will struggle on though because I know it will all be worth it. I'm just slightly disheartened the scales haven't moved in two weeks, I wasn't too good on the diet last week but this week I've been amazingly good for me and still no shift! Oh well patience is a virtue!

I seem to prefer even numbered workouts over odd numbered workouts, eg i prefer 4 over 3, and 8 over 7.
    Make sure you take time to warm up thoroughly, even if that means doing extra stretches not included on the DVD before the main workout. You can only try your best, and do what you can, i loved this quote from Jillian in one of her other DVDs:

"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs"

So true!

It's really important that you know how to distinguish between "good" pain (muscle soreness) and Injury, if you are at all worried about your hip and calf maybe you should get checked out. It's great for you to be keen to push through but we only get one body, and we need to take care of it!

I'm sorry to hear the scale hasn't moved, do you drink plenty of water? This can flush out excess sodium and keep you hydrated. Even though your weight hasn't changed i'm sure alot of other changes are happening, your muscles are getting stronger and you stamina is increasing, little by little, day by day.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Not-Perfect-Effort_zpsb98cbfc0.jpg
  • cristino1985
    Options
    Thanks dawn, you are so supportive, I have slight osteoarthritis in my hip so it's normal for me to get a bit of pain with it, it is a lot better than it used to be so that is progress which I can only thank jillian for! I don't know why I love doing her DVDs so much when any others just bore me but I definitely love the change I'm seeing in my body and stamina, even when the scale doesn't move!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Thanks dawn, you are so supportive, I have slight osteoarthritis in my hip so it's normal for me to get a bit of pain with it, it is a lot better than it used to be so that is progress which I can only thank jillian for! I don't know why I love doing her DVDs so much when any others just bore me but I definitely love the change I'm seeing in my body and stamina, even when the scale doesn't move!

Ah i see, good on you for still getting stuck in though, some people would use something like that as an excuse to not workout, but keeping active actually helps!

I am a big fan of Jillian's DVDs too, i have bought lots of non Jillian's in the past and got bored after 3 days! I've stuck with Jillian for almost a year now, and lost all my weight with her, so she's definitely doing something right!
  • lolaluv4
    lolaluv4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Luv luv luv workout 4! The first half made me sweat second half not as bad but i definately feel like i did something today!