Weekly chat Jan 7-13

Options
shorty313
shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
Welcome to our weekly thread! Please feel free to repost the thread on Monday of each new week. Just remember to change the dates in the topic title.

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

☞ Name/nickname reminders -
Carrie (camsmommy2008)
Sara Grace (SaraGrace82)
Susan or Susie (susieq101178)
Debbie (shorty313)
Jackie (jaxygirl)
Sonya (sonyachan)
Ellie (ellie78)
CurlyPep (lilpe5512)
Harold (hcdawg)
Jill (Blueyz82)
Dan (G3tR1pp3d)
Stacy (chanstriste13)
Cristi (blueeyedcrist)
Amanda (AmandaK3)
Bishop or Todd(BishopSmurf)
Kelli (daisy51981)
Sarah (SarLem81)
Clare (clareeast)
Amanda (WhiteCloud)
Emma (elstein)
Cynthia (saihtnyc)
Emily (emom3boys)
Randy (Randyamc)
Sandra (Leeloominai01)
Toni (Themoodys13)
Corey (coreyisaacs)
Joe (misterbigg36)
Dee (Dedee36)
Tawnya (RubytOU)
Mariesa (princessmariesa)
Sri (slimntrim77)
Becky (altheiathepixie)
Melissa (MdmAcolyte)
James (Wolfjj79)
Ijs_leggo

Replies

• WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll go first...

Today was my first day of running since October and I quickly realized that I never should have stopped running. I started again with the first day of the C25k program. It wasn't too bad to get through 60 seconds of running at a time, but I could tell that anymore than two minutes of nonstop running would have been pure hell. I ran outside today since it was such a pretty and warm day. I had to dodge leftover snow and ice from our Christmas snowstorm, and all the goose poop on the sidewalks near the lake. I will definitely run outside on Wednesday and Friday since it's supposed to warm up into the 50s. (I love Colorado weather!)

I'm debating on posting my weekly fitness goals in these chats to help with my accountability. Do you all think that is a good idea? I'm not sure another place to post them that would generate comments, accolades, tips, tricks, etc. I'm going to write blog posts on MFP but those aren't viewed as often as message boards.

Hope you all are having a great start to your week.

~Amanda
  • shorty313
    Options
    Amanda - we used to have weekly exercise challenges - would you be interested in starting that back up? It was three tiers of minutes exercised, and people wrote their personal goals too.

I took a long break from running since Sept and have only done a few fits and spurts here and there and it is definitely a struggle! It's amazing how quickly your body can un-condition.
  • wolfjj79
    wolfjj79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is my first time posting on this group's weekly chat so my name is James.

I know what you both mean about your body de-conditioning. I was 235 before my Christmas vacation but didn't really exercise the whole two weeks. I gained 5lbs and I'm back to working it off now...again. I usually run 5 to 6 days a week, jus a mile or two at a time, and do a quick routine of pushups, situps, and plank after. Before the vacation I was running a 9 minute mile but after I'm closer to 10 minutes again, ugh. Also, I was up to 35 pushups without stopping, 25 situps no stop, and 1:30 doing plank. All of that has dropped as well.

I started backup last Friday and have dropped 2+ lbs since, and I'm building up my reps again, but slower than before this time. It always seems harder the second time around.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes I would love to have weekly challenges! I went back and read some of the previous challenges and wondered why I didn't participate?

James - It's nice to digitally "meet" you! Hope you stay a while.

Today I should have gone for a walk since the weather was so nice, but instead I stayed inside, got some laundry done, and cooked my chicken for dinner tonight. The second batch of the chicken was barely finished when I had to leave for work so I really hope it was done. :ohwell:

I'm not too sore today although I expected I would be. I think it's harder to do this the second time around because I know where my fitness level was when I stopped exercising. Oh well, my fault and I've got to work my way back up.
  • wolfjj79
    wolfjj79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you too WhiteCloud! I hop you're feeling better today and having a nicer day than I am. It's been raining since last night here, and I am not jogging in the rain so that curtails most of my exercise for the day. I plan on doing my indoor stuff after work.

I hope y'all are having better weather than I am!

~James
  • pjunge11
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and the group. I'd love to partake in weekly challenges. I keep trying to find challenges, but I stumble upon them too late.
    I need to start my exercise routine now before the next semester starts, otherwise I'll find way too many excuses to avoid the gym.
    Luckily I remember what that rush of exercise feels like - and as I sit here, very aware of my bulging, jiggly muffin top, I'd rather had the rush than the down.

How did the challenges work in the past?

And it's nice to meet everyone, I hope to find and offer motivation and support!
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to all,

My first time posting in this group - so HELLLOOOO!! Excited to find a group of like-minded people (based on the other posts). Food journaling and being accountable to my health has worked well for me in the past, until I stopped paying attention. Also having a group of people with similar goals also helped my health and weight loss in the past, so I can say with all honesty I am glad to have stumbled upon MFP.

I have a lot of motivation to get back to a healthier me, as I am getting married later this year. And while my amazing fiance loves me the way I am, we both agreed being healthier versions of ourself is key - especially as we start our married lives together. He is super supportive, so I got that going for me :)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I hope to make it a point to visit the group often!

Cheers!
    ~Andrea
  • shorty313
    Options
    If you look down in the posts there should be challenges from the summer. Basically we had three levels, with different minutes of exercise. At the beginning of the week, everyone participating would state their level to achieve, and whether they had any personal goals, and total consecutive days logging food. We also had a rotating monthly challenges. Each week we checked back in to give our stats, and the next week that info was summarized in the new challenge.

The woman who organized those challenges (and who I think also started the group!) has moved on, so if someone wants to take the lead and pick it back up, you can copy most of that info into a new post, I'll sticky it, and we can go from there. I just don't have the time to take that on right now (the summary part, though I guess we could go without, it was kind of fun though!).

Thoughts? Volunteers?
  • Leeloominai01
    Leeloominai01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I guess we could start by copying the older challenges right? I can do that relatively easily right now, once a week won't be too much for me.
  • Leeloominai01
    Leeloominai01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can start on Sunday, seeing that this week is more than halfway gone already - would that be ok?
  • shorty313
    Options
    Sandra...I think we did something similar before...reporting and goals tarted fresh either sun or mon.