Scared of the movie theater!!

Options
MegRuthie
MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
This will be my first weekend since switching to keto. I already have plans to go to a movie tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for snacks I can take in.

Movie theater popcorn is pretty much the only thing that would tempt me. I have no problem passing on sweets and don't really crave pasta or bread like I thought I would.

Should I just plan my day to budget for the splurge?

Replies

• Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    nuts are fine or a little veggie pack. Just be careful with nuts because their calorie total adds up fast.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I also went to the movies with my son on my first weekend of Keto. I love movie theater popcorn! What helped me was focus and knowing it was going to only be 2 hours, I looked up the nutrition facts just to see if there was any quantity that I could have (boo! no way!), armed with that what I did was I smelled my son's popcorn. Yes, you read that right. I took a huge whiff when we sat down. It smelled so good, but just kept remembering the nutrition. Also, I bought a med-large diet soda (which some would poo-poo), and sipped on that during the movie.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I went to the cinema I took a weighed out portion of nuts and a peperami stick.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Go to dinner first. Eat very well. Go to the theater very full. Order a large diet drink.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Summer sausage sticks, a bag of pepperoni slices, a can of blue diamond bold almonds, some macadamia nuts... You really don't need to buy anything at the theatre.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. Movie theater popcorn with the faux-butter is pretty much my only kryptonite, for some reason. I won't eat popcorn in any other context. At one point, I remember seeing awful movies just so I could have so popcorn. That's when you know you have problems!

Just know that a popcorn splurge will knock you out of ketosis for a little bit. According to my blood ketone meter, it took me a full five days, with or without exercise, to get back above 0.5 mM/L. I also gained some water weight that was shed about 4 or 5 days after, as well.

The other strategies noted above are very good in terms of tilting the odds in your favor of eating keto in a tough situation, but if you give in, don't beat yourself up, just be patient and jump back on the wagon as quickly as possible.
  • Shellymimis
    Options
    Kale chips!
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Kale chips!
    Oh god...kale chips..I found out about them here on MFP and they are now the favorite veggie in the house. season them bad boys with some old bay and they are just too good.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Summer sausage sticks, a bag of pepperoni slices, a can of blue diamond bold almonds, some macadamia nuts... You really don't need to buy anything at the theatre.

This! I go to the movies 1x a month with my nephew and I always bring my own eats.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to the movies I had a bag of macademia nuts and a bottle of mineral water with me.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Go to dinner first. Eat very well.

This is the best advice I've seen here. If you've been ketoing for more than 3 days, you really shouldn't feel hungry and the presence of popcorn will not be as severe a temptation as you now suspect