First week still feeling tired/ out of it

Options
Just finished my first week of paleo and I'm feeling pretty tired and a little out of it. I've read on other sites about the "carb flu" and wanted to see if anyone else experienced this? Should I just try and get some extra sleep or just wait it out? Thanks!!!

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and increase your salt intake. Broth or salted nuts is a good choice.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have experienced carb flu to one degree or another. We're all different, though. Listen to your body. If you're tired, take a nap. It will pass soon enough. :wink:
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now, I think it's my brain trying to convince me to eat some carbs so it's making me tired and cranky! I've got an internal battle going on right now, one part is telling me to "just give in, have a cheat day".. and the other side is telling me "no! you've made it a week and a half, don't throw it away now!! " It's tough to get through, but it WILL pass.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you get through to the other side, it's worth it! Mine usually hits a little later than the norm seems to be, but upping my fat a bit definitely helps me get through.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i had it for about 2 weeks, increase your fat intake , once I did that my energy came back, avocados were my saviour!! :bigsmile:
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think the fat advice is pretty solid. Just hang in there. It gets better, I promise.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think the fat advice is pretty solid. Just hang in there. It gets better, I promise.

Agree!
  • lilbrowngirl
    lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I definitely will be picking up some avocados and sweet potatoes to get some extra fat and healthy carbs. But aside from feeling a little sluggish my body does feel a lot better especially after meals. I'm just gonna take it easy on the working out until my body gets a little more adjusted.
  • jaesmad
    jaesmad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I definitely will be picking up some avocados and sweet potatoes to get some extra fat and healthy carbs. But aside from feeling a little sluggish my body does feel a lot better especially after meals. I'm just gonna take it easy on the working out until my body gets a little more adjusted.

Deff do the avocadoes sweet potatos not my thing lol.

It does get better. Good work on your first week
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    It's totally normal. and don't forget to keep eating. Sometimes when we totally cut out something, we forget to replace it with something else. Just because you're not getting carbs and calories from grains doesn't mean you can't eat bananas, sweet potatoes, yams, whatever, to get some more energy. Paleo is not about total deprivation! :)
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 1 and for the first week definitely felt like crap. I think I was under eating fats (it can be hard to realize fat is not the enemy). I basically vegged on the couch or surfed the web. Didn't feel like doing anything and I really didn't (no exercise).

Now I feel great. In fact I'm thinking of starting some exercise (never been a fan) just because my energy level is so much higher than I'm used to.

Before, doing exercise seemed like a chore and I had to make myself do it. If my energy level stays the way it is now then I can see doing it being easy since my body seems to want to do something. It's a very strange sensation. It makes me think "what the hell have grains and sugar done to us?"