New to LCHF..a few questions...

Options
tabathavm
tabathavm Posts: 99 Member
Hello everyone, I am new to this LCHF lifestyle and had a few questions.
1. Do you prepare the same LCHF meals for the entire family. A baby?
2. I get diarrhea easy when i eat fast foods and such, do you think I will have the same results with eating a higher natural fat? ( dont know if it matters with this or not but i dont have my gallbladder)
3. Can we eat corn? Sweet potaotes?
4. Do any of you use stevia or raw honey?
5. Any recommendations for a website loaded with LCHF recipees??? :):):)
6. This morning I had 2 egss fried with olive oil, ham with melted cheese, and a cup of milk, and i feel gassy and crampy..Is this normal?
7. WHat kind of milk do you drink?

Replies

• dtron87
    Options
    1. I only prepare meals for myself and my husband. So, no help with that.
    2. Fast foods often upset my tummy too but, since starting keto (only 3 weeks in) I've had very solid "movements." I even had McDonalds one day.
    3. I think you can but they are pretty high in carbs so I stay away. I prefer to save mine for something I like more.
    4. I used stevia in the raw for some brownies that were pretty good. There is also NuStevia which has a no carbs blend that is a pretty expensive but, tastes better. Found mine at GNC, Amazon was cheaper.
    5. OMG do I.
    cavemanketo.com
    sinorslim.com/
    healthylivinghowto.com/
    carbgenie.com/low-carb-recipe-ideas
    ibreatheimhungry.com/

Also, Pinterest and a few more that are mostly Paleo.

6. Use Bacon fat! I'd guess it was the milk making you gassy.
    7. Unsweetened Almond Milk only 1 net carb per cup. Usually only with protein powder. Mostly I drink water, water, or Crystal Light.
  • vivipr
    vivipr Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1. For me and my husband, but I dont give it to my 17 mths.
    2. The majority of people on this diet reports constipation... I take 2 pills of Metamucil fiber with each meal, to be safe...
    3. No on your low carbs day / No sweet potatoes (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=103963&page=1)
    4. I use splenda but I heard the best is truvia.
    5. yourlighterside.com; reddit/r/keto.com, eatketo.com besides those Dtron87 mentioned.
    6. No milk! coconut oil is more healthy :)
    7. none... but my hubby drinks almond.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    first, welcome to LCHF lifestyle, you'll love it once you get a few weeks into it.
    1) I cook for my teenage son and my brother, all of us eat a keto lifestyle though the 2 of them are in maintenance so eat more carbs then I do.
    2) I don't have any issues, in fact after a little bit on keto you'll be surprised at how little you have a bowel moment compared to before. Having said that if you don't get enough fiber from vegetables then take a fiber pull or some sort of supplement.
    3) stick to broccoli, cauliflower, green beans mainly myself.
    4) I use splenda
    5) lots of great recommendations from others already!
    6) milk is bad, we use almond milk here and water, lots and lots of water.
    2. I get diarrhea easy when i eat fast foods and such, do you think I will have the same results with eating a higher natural fat? ( dont know if it matters with this or not but i dont have my gallbladder)
    6. This morning I had 2 egss fried with olive oil, ham with melted cheese, and a cup of milk, and i feel gassy and crampy..Is this normal?
  • tabathavm
    Options
    WOW thank you guys sooo much!!
    I am excited and nervous about starting this.LOL I plan on excersing 5 days a week also, light aerobics moslty.
    Can I take a stool softner if i need it?
  • vivipr
    vivipr Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    take the fiber pills after each meal with a huge cup of water and you will be fine :) after your body gets used to your new lifestyle you are going to be more frequent lol!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    answers to your questions:

1. Do you prepare the same LCHF meals for the entire family. Yes. A baby? Depending on how old the baby is, natural breast milk and steamed veggies are appropriate. According to the baby's age, stay on a high fat diet with the baby, slowly introduce veggies, herbs, berries with cream or cheese. Babies need a high fat, some protein diet. Babies do not need starches from cereals. Introduce baby to starches in plantains, yams, sweet potatoes, organic squashes only.

2. I get diarrhea easy when i eat fast foods and such, do you think I will have the same results with eating a higher natural fat?
    If you lack the enzymes to digest fat, then yes. Have you tried adding more fiber to your diet with the fat you eat? Add enzymes to your diet! Most diarrhea comes from lacking enzymes. Add AZO yeast pills for a while too to increase your good bacteria. IT IS NORMAL to have diarrhea when reducing sugar and carbs in the diet for the first 2 weeks, since you are actually eliminating mostly bacteria that is dying off. All that gut bacteria and fecal matter that caused bloat and excess weight in the gut is leaving the body.

3. Can we eat corn? NO!
    Sweet potaotes? In your case, a very small portion of yams or sweet potatoes may help your no. 2 problem. Stay under 50 g carbs a day!!!

4. Do any of you use stevia or raw honey? STEVIA only

5. Any recommendations for a website loaded with LCHF recipees??? marksdailyapple forums

6. This morning I had 2 egss fried with olive oil, ham with melted cheese, and a cup of milk, and i feel gassy and crampy..Is this normal? no. ELIMINATE the milk. Go raw dairy heavy cream instead or coconut milk. Or red roobios tea! NO MILK

7. WHat kind of milk do you drink? NONE
    Do unpastureized, raw dairy cream or coconut milk, or coconut oil.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

1. Do you prepare the same LCHF meals for the entire family. A baby? Yes. My hubby is now eating "lower" carb. He supplements additional carbs to reach his carb and calorie needs. I can't answer to how best to feed a baby on low carbs other than most baby diets shouldn't include empty calories, starchy carbs anyway.

2. I get diarrhea easy when i eat fast foods and such, do you think I will have the same results with eating a higher natural fat? ( dont know if it matters with this or not but i dont have my gallbladder): It's hard to say if your diarrhea is a result of the fat or high amounts of wheat gluten in fast food.

3. Can we eat corn? Sweet potaotes? No corn. Sweet potatoes are fine if your carb limits allow for it.

4. Do any of you use stevia or raw honey? Honey is just like eating sugar. I use Splenda. I tried stevia but it gives me heartburn.

5. Any recommendations for a website loaded with LCHF recipees??? :):):) Check out George Stella.

6. This morning I had 2 eggs fried with olive oil, ham with melted cheese, and a cup of milk, and i feel gassy and crampy..Is this normal? I'll go along with Busywaterbend, cut the dairy and see if that eliminates the gas problem. If not it could be the eggs. Some people without gallbladders can't handle eggs by themselves. Eggs in something else they can usually handle. Check out the MIM thread. A MIM (muffin in a minute) is a good way to get the protein of eggs in a package full of fiber.

7. WHat kind of milk do you drink? I have eliminated dairy for hormonal reasons. I prefer unsweetened almond milk. I recently tried coconut milk and I'm not crazy about it. Blue diamond's unsweetened almond and coconut milk blend is okay.
  • tabathavm
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! i havent tried coconut milk, But i want too! Thanks again :):)
    BTW my baby is 9 months. He already eats solids, no meats though. Ive heard that babies shouldnt have meats till they are 2 years old, that their bodies can't digest it. Has anyone ever heard of this?
  • BarryLouis
    Options
    YOU USE SIN OR SLIM!!!

the shakes, how do us Ketoers go about with protein powder i want to loose weight. have you heard of ISOPURE or do you use a substitute such as sugar free pudding mix or benefiber?
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me:

1. It's just me and my husband and we both eat the same LCHF food. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't give kids the same food, too, if I had any.

2. Not having a gallbladder will have an effect on fat digestion, I'd imagine. However it could just be your system will just take a little longer to get used to more fat. It's possible to be on high fat without a gallbladder, I know, but I would guess that might be causing your diarrhoea. For me my digestion's never been better, heh.

3. I personally wouldn't go near corn and would only use sweet potato rarely and in very small portions.

4. I use stevia. I think it'd be even better to wean your taste buds from sweet, but I'm not quite there... trying though.

5. I tend to google individual recipes myself. Must check out some of these suggested websites here!

6. I can't think of anything in your breakfast that would normally cause one to be gassy and crampy, unless you have problems digesting dairy, or if it's do with the gallbladder issue in point 1.

7. I don't drink a lot of milk, but if I do, it's unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. I've not gone no-dairy, and I use butter, cream and cheese, but not cow's milk (too many carbs for me).
  • SCD22
    SCD22 Posts: 3
    Options
    1. My husband and I are both on LCHF even though he is just maintaining now. We are working on starting a family so I have been doing research on the best foods for babies and when they should be introduced. I have not read anything about not being able to feed babies meat until their 2. Actually I have read that a baby's first food should be pureed liver as it is easy to digest and is the most nutrient dense food and that is should be fed at about 6 months. Basically after the 10 month point your baby can eat whatever you guys are eating with the exception of egg whites until 1 year they are hard to digest but do not let that keep you from feeding them egg yolks as the cholesterol helps brain development . Also it is still best to feed liver once a week. Here is a link that explains all of this more in depth http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/feeding-babies.

2. I am also easily prone to diarrhea especially after fast food. I still have problems whenever I am stressed or anything, but I have not had any problems with this diet causing problems with bowels. I would say though it is possible that whenever you first start on the diet give your body about 2 weeks to adjust to the new foods.

3. Same as everyone else said. No corn. Sweet potatoes are a healthy carb which is essential during maintenance, but will slow weight loss if eaten to often or in large quantities.

4. I don't use stevia or raw honey. Stevia is still an artificial sweetener and I try to stay a way from all artificial sweeteners. Sweeteners will still knock you out of keto. Even though the blood sugar doesn't rise the body still sends out an insulin response in response to the sweet taste which can knock you out of keto for hours, also they are not natural and thus have 0 nutrients in them. With that I would argue that raw honey is better but still not optimal because it has a higher sugar content but at least it is packed with good nutrients. My suggestion would be to cut out as much sugar artificial or not that you possibly can. If I need to make a sweet snack I use coconut nectar. It can be found in most health food stores in either granulated or liquid form. They tap the coconut tree just like a maple tree. The nectar is absolutely packed with nutrients and it has a low glycemic index, so the sugar in it digests more slowly so they don't enter the blood stream so fast and raise blood sugar nearly as bad.

5. yourlighterside.com
    nomnompaleo.com
    paleoperiodical.com
    dietdoctor.com/lchf (not a whole lot of recipes but tons of great info)

6. It could be the eggs or the milk. I would cut one out at a time and see if you can narrow down the culprit. It is possible that your body just isn't used to the change in the way you are eating yet.

7. I don't drink milk never liked the taste of the stuff. But my husband drinks it. If your body has no problem digesting milk I would say you should go ahead and get whole milk raw or pasteurized which ever is available to you. There has been some studies that have shown that lactose (the sugar found in milk) does not break down like other sugars and will not raise blood sugar. My husband has never counted milk in his total carbs for the day and has had no problem with it stalling his weight loss, though I would suggest not drinking more than one glass a day. If you have problems digesting milk which your body will tell you or find that you are stalling because of the milk then I would try unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
  • NatalieFWright
    NatalieFWright Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. I do for my 10 yr old and husband, but my 3 yr old is the world's pickiest eater (was before we started keto) so we don't give her the same.
    2. I don't know since you don't have your gallbladder, but I have the opposite problem now and tend to get constipated easily. I think I had diarrhea more before from the wheat products I ate since I have gluten sensitivity.
    3. Absolutely no corn for me. I don't eat sweet potatoes either anymore... too many carbs when you are trying to limit to 20 g or less per day.
    4. I use stevia, Splenda, Equal, Sweet-n-low, sometimes sugar alcohols (rarely though), definitely no honey. That being said, I use maybe 2 packets of sweetener to sweeten coffee per day, generally not more, so I think the amount is negligible.
    5. I bought the Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks and love them.
    6. Not really normal, but your body adjusts over time, so give it a few weeks... and cut out the milk.
    7. I don't drink milk anymore. I only use heavy cream, or if that is not available I use half and half. Even skim milk has a ton of carbs. I used to only drink skim milk and just got used to the cream. I actually like it now. I have heard almond milk or unsweetened soy milk is low in carbs too.
  • the_lo_rider
    Options

I'm not sure where you learned that a baby shouldn't have meat - I have five kids and they have all eaten meet before a year :) No digestion issues.
    Yes I prepare the same foods for all of us. Although I do prepare carbs for the kiddos as well (rice, potatoes etc - not so much wheat based carbs anymore)

I don't have a gallbladder either and I haven't noticed a problem. It will vary from person to person though. Some require enzymes. I never have.

No corn - I eat a small amount of sweet potatoes occasionally.

I really, really, really do not like stevia but I know a lot of people that do. No to honey unless I'm baking for the kids. (not for your baby though :)

I use Reddit a lot - http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ - you can get a lot of your questions answered there too. By people who know a whole heck of a lot!

I get almost no gas at all while eating LC - I suspect the milk as well.

7. WHat kind of milk do you drink? I don't. I occasionally have coconut milk with nuts and berries for breakfast. It does not taste like real milk though so you need to prepare your taste buds :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options

Hi there, I've been at it since last June. Just to give you an idea of my outcomes, Since June 10, 2012, I have lost 22 lbs, lowered my cholesterol (282 to 228), reduced my glucose (135 to 107, A1C is 5.6) from borderline diabetic to normal and brought my BP down from pre hyper-tensive (roughly 140/90 to 110/70).

It's me, my wife, a teen-ager and two 9 year old girls. We prepare the same protein and veggies for everyone, and then small amounts of carbs/starch for the kids. We don't try and put them on a LCHF lifestyle.

I stopped eating McDonald's years ago for that very same reason. I have come to realize that the issue is NOT fats, but very high levels of carbs. Everytime I eat anything that is very carb dense, now, I have that problem again.

As others have pointed out, make sure you are getting a reasonable amount of fiber. Be careful, too much fiber and not enough water can lead to constipation. More importantly, I think, is to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes in your body. You need to drink quite a bit of water and you need a good source of electrolytes. Simplest thing is 2 cups of chicken broth a day. If that isn't to your liking, PowerAde Zero is good, no sugar, less than 1g of carbs in a 12 oz serving, tons of electrolytes and mineral supplements that your body needs.

Corn is way too carb dense. Sweet potatoes are "okay" depending on how low carb you are going. I look for a serving of a food to have no more than 5g net carbs (i.e. carbs minus fiber). Preferably lower than that, although I cheated today and had 2 dark chocolate hershey's kisses.

I don't like any non sugar sweeteners I have ever tried, so I don't bother using them. I love honey, but check the sugar content. 2 teaspoons is about 9g carbs, almost all sugar.

Lots of great recipe sites already ... but I highly recommend Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfillipo .... great cookbook and TONS of great information about foods, minerals, etc.

Like others noted, it's probably the milk. I don't drink milk at all. I have always felt a bit gaggy and bloated after drinking milk, so I gave it up years ago.

I don't drink milk, so not sure what is good or not good. The only milk products I ever have is cheese, occasionally, and butter.

I also recommend Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat, to understand the nutritional science. Plus you might considering visiting the Low Carber Daily Forum on here as well. Also, Gary Taubes has his own website, tons of good info there: http://www.garytaubes.com/.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

1: I'd talk to a pediatrician about baby's dietary needs, and probably just feed them baby food. My girlfriend and I both eat ketogenic foods together.
    2: Don't go and swallow 3 or 4 tablespoons of coconut fat, you'll get diarrhea. Otherwise, just eating meat and cheese and heavy cream, your body tends to be able to break that stuff down into energy much easier with less waste byproducts. You might find yourself going a day or two without pooping, and it's okay.
    3: Corn is the devil. Sweet potatoes are pretty carby too. If you can find a way to get it to fit your macronutrient ratios, I don't see why not, though.
    4: I love splenda. Honey is sugar and sugar is bad, and Stevia leaves a bitter chemical taste in my throat and mouth.
    5: www.ibreatheimhungry.com cavemanketo.com http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/induction_menus/induction_menus.html
    6: I rarely get gassy on keto, usually the only time I get gas/cramps is when I cheat and have a pizza or something. But milk is a no-go, too much lactose. Try tea with heavy cream, or coffee with butter, instead. :)
    7: A little bit of heavy cream in the morning and I can go for hours without needing to eat again!
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Let's say that for dinner, I eat a steak and a protein shake. My husband will have the steak, a salad, and an orange for desert. Sometimes I will give him a couple mini-ears of corn or some other vegetable like mashed potatoes. but that's for him.

to be honest, it's better if we eat separately.

I do not have diarrhea, though some do when they suddenly vastly increase their water intake - which is essential. This passes. I used to have sudden post-eatiing diarrhea attacks before I changed my food lifestyle. Now no more.

Corn, peas, sweet potatoes, even regular potatoes are not on MY diet. (Of course, no vegetable is. Though I did have 0.7 ounces of lettuce the other day with a measured 0.5oz of Ken's Blue Cheese Dressing - for a total of one carb)

I use artificial sweetner (along with heavy whipping cream) in my coffee. Honey - raw or otherwise - is a no-no.

Re: Your breakfast. I suspect that you might be lactose intolerant to one degree or another. Try giving up the milk for a while. If you fear the lack of calcium, take a supplement. But ALL keto people should be taking a VERY GOOD suppliment of vitamin with chileated minerals. (the chileating makes them more digestible.) Your body won't miss it.

The two eggs is good. Olive oil - also good. Melted cheese - be sure to limit your amounts because it is so high-sodium. Ham is off my diet. Sodium is very high and that causes water retention which is not good for you on a ketosis driven diet. You need to keep that system flushed.

I do not drink milk. I do drink protein shakes made with water. Some of them taste like milkshakes or chocolate milk, but they have 100 carbs, no sugar, and 25 g protein. My favorites are Strawberry Mousse and Chocolate Truffle - both made by Suntrax in their Nectar line.

You may be thinking of low-carb diets. Ketosis-driven diets are low-carb on the equivalent of steroids. Where a low-carb diet may allow a couple of hundreds of carbs per day, I limit myself to 10. Others do not go over 30.

I know that I am in ketosis when the "Keto-Styx" turn purple, which is really nice.

Ketones are impartially burned fats. The idea of staying in ketosis is to get rid of ketones (through urine, breath, etc) before the body has a chance to use them for energy, thus forcing the body to find its fuel elsewhere - that crates more ketones. I think of it as (metaphorically) more bang for the buck.