Prone Jackknife

Options
fuego84
fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
Today was my first day of NROL and I discovered I absolutely, positively suck at prone jackknifes. My core is so weak and I was very shaky on the ball. Would you recommend doing additional prone jackknifes or planks, etc to help strengthen those muscles? I don't feel like they will get as strong as they need to be with just sticking with the program as it is. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your core will strengthen quickly. I noticed a huge difference from the beginning to middle of the first stage when I was doing prone jackknives. Just keep at it, you will start to see results!
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can do it, promise. The first time I attempted to do the prone jackknife I fell off the ball multiple times and could barley complete the manuver. It took a few sessions but now I can knock em out no problem.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    100% agree with PP's, you'll get better very quickly, just keep trying. I couldn't believe how ridiculous they were the first time, now - super easy to do, I even like them.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't add. Just stick with it and you'll improve quickly!
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I thought I'd never be able to do them but they get easy surprisingly quickly! (Though I do still have the odd embarrassing moment where I fall off and the ball shoots away from me :( )
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Follow the program and you will get stronger, develop better endurance, coordination and balance. Your problem is a combination of the 4, and this program does a great job of helping you to become more fit and make gains in all these areas.
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll stick with the layout of the program. It's good to know I wasn't the only one that has fallen off the ball LOL!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First of all, the real name for these exercises is "prone jackknives from hell." Just so you know. :) I felt the same way as you when I started. And just like everyone else says, just keep at it. They WILL get easier. I don't think any extra exercises are necessary. Just following the program makes you get stronger day by day.

PS. I win the award for "worst dismount." Trust me!
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.. I failed miserably as well. But I am going to give it another shot as you ladies recommend and will keep at it, I have faith I will get it. @kmsairam LOL "worst dismount" that's awesome!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I did my first workout this morning, I CANNOT do these. I have a ball at home and have been practicing not falling off.
    I hope they get easier.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I think everyone says they can't do them after the first one, like how can this even be a real exercise?! It gets easier, you'll be a pro in no time, stick with it!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Last week was my first time doing these. I slipped and the ball shot out and bounced off of a wall and hit some machines. I would have been embarrassed but luckily I was in a room all to myself. They do get easier! I noticed a difference when I did them for a second time. I was still shaky but I at least felt like I could do them and my balance was much better.
  • Pokermom10
    Pokermom10 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First of all, the real name for these exercises is "prone jackknives from hell." Just so you know. :) I felt the same way as you when I started. And just like everyone else says, just keep at it. They WILL get easier. I don't think any extra exercises are necessary. Just following the program makes you get stronger day by day.

PS. I win the award for "worst dismount." Trust me!

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I'd know there would be an award for "worst dismount", I'd have videotaped my first attempt. :) I still have trouble with the "dismount" sometimes. Like everyone says, they DO get easier. And, I've grown fond of them now too.
  • HSMyTwins
    HSMyTwins Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is just my 2nd day doing these evil things.

The first day I didn't think to tuck in my t-shirt, so of course while doing them, my t-shirt slid up to my bra and exposed my giant stomach for everyone to see.

And the dismount. LOL. Is there a way to get off the ball w/o it shooting out towards other people?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh: So glad I'm not the only one struggling with this, and that it gets easier. I work out at home, so luckily no witnesses to my first several times of this (three times in now). Seems to take me a few tries getting on the thing and in the right position, forget actually doing the reps. Maybe that is part of the challenge! I try to make sure there's nothing dangerous for me to go smashing into when me or the ball go flying off away from one another.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yes they are very very difficult in the beginning, but they do get easier.

And once youve got it down, it si much easier to get back into. I got through stage 1 last summer, then took a break and never went back. So I started over a few weeks ago, and was dreading the jackknifes, but they are startng to be fun, and I can see that I've made progress with them even six months later.

just keep at it.