Protein/Macros

Options
Hi, all!

How much protein do you try to eat per day? What about the other macros?

Thanks!

Replies

• yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The book says 40carb 30fat 30pro

That's what I do. It isn't always easy to get all the protein in - sometimes you have to get creative!

:)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    My macro %'s are set at 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat.

If you're lifting heavy weights, you need around 0.75g of protein per pound of total body weight, which is around 30% of total calories.

So if you weigh 150 lbs. you need about 112.5g of protein per day (0.75 x 150).
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What happens if I go over on protein?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat.

Nothing will happen if you go over on protein. The main point is to hit the min. amount.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat 85-115g of protein a day, which is only 15% for me. So my macros are 55c/15p/30f. Any more than that and I bloat like crazy and feel sick. And I've lost a pants size, lots of inches, and about 5% body fat and I'm only in Stage 2. So not everyone needs to eat lots and lots of protein!
  • allie_girl
    Options
    I don't follow the book program much anymore but I do a 40/40/20 split - 40 protein, 40 carbs, 20 fats. I think the recommended protein is 1 gram per pound you weigh. IE: A 140 lb person would need 140 grams of protein while a 120 lb person would need 120. I shoot for over 120 daily.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    40p/35c/25f, but I haven't been following the book for a while.

My general rule of thumb has been to eat at least 1g of protein per lb of your lean body mass (LBM). 1.5g of protein per LBM if you're looking to bulk up.
  • holleysings
    Options
    Actually, getting 1g/lb can overwork your kidneys, cause bloating (which if you're lifting, does not help), and other lovely symptoms like nausea. I understand that you want to build muscle, but 30% or 1g/lb can be way too much depending on how many calories you're eating.

This link is another option if you think you're getting too much:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_daily_protein_recommendations_for_people
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40/30/30, but usually end up getting a weekly average of 24%. I'm losing weight and getting stronger, so I guess I'm OK. I think the macro suggestion in the book is a good guide, but you have to do what works for your body. And that'll probably involve some trial and error.
  • brits111383
    Options
    Hi, all!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think a light bulb finally went on for me!

I have been a vegetarian for 14 years and I really just do not enjoy eating meat (this is not commentary on anyone else's food choices, only mine. Please do not think I am pushing my very personal lifestyle choice on you -- I promise I fully respect people's choices on food!). However, I have thought that veganism might have been a way to kick-start weight loss for a while due to the low-calorie status of veggies. I read up a lot on raw veganism, too.

Reading up on NROL4W and the Lean Gains website, it seems I was really doing myself a disservice by not paying attention to protein and worrying more about overall calories.
    Studies have concluded that a protein intake of 2 g/kg body weight is needed to optimize muscle gains. However, these studies are based on non-vegetarian diets. Why is this important? It's not only about total protein intake, it's about the BCAA content of the diet. BCAAs, and particularly leucine, are the amino acids most intimately involved in controlling muscle protein synthesis. BCAA content in relation to total calorie content of different foods:

Whey protein: 25% BCAA

Animal protein: 17-18% BCCA

Egg white protein: 18% BCAA

Soy protein: 15-18% BCAA

Cottage cheese: 10-13% BCAA

Beans and peas: 4-5% BCAA

Nuts: 2% BCAA. Speaking of nuts, they're probably the most overrated food deemed "healthy" by the mainstream. I talked about this in "Scorch through your fat loss plateau."

-- Vegetarian diets and muscle growth (about a quarter of the way down the page): http://www.leangains.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

I have increased my protein intake to at least 100 grams per day, and just this second half of the week I feel like there has been a difference. I have been a ff greek yogurt fiend for a while, but now I'm eating a lot of ff cottage cheese, which for some reason felt like a bad food choice for a while. It's not! It's full of BCAAs, which are essential for building muscle. I'm also eating more eggs, egg white liquid, and whey protein. Gone are the Lents where I go "visual vegan" and think I'm actually doing something good for myself!

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'll definitely be on the forums to get more ideas and to share what is working for me!
  • holleysings
    Options
    You should check out Brewer's Yeast or Nutritional Yeast too. You can get a lot of amino acids from that!
  • brits111383
    Options
    You should check out Brewer's Yeast or Nutritional Yeast too. You can get a lot of amino acids from that!

Yea! I love nutritional yeast! Would you happen to know how it would rank in that list above (% BCAA versus total calorie content)?
  • holleysings
    Options

Yea! I love nutritional yeast! Would you happen to know how it would rank in that list above (% BCAA versus total calorie content)?

http://www.lewis-labs.com/products/facts/brewers-yeast-facts.htm#buds
  • brits111383
    Options

http://www.lewis-labs.com/products/facts/brewers-yeast-facts.htm#buds

Thanks! :D
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    40p/35c/25f, but I haven't been following the book for a while.

My general rule of thumb has been to eat at least 1g of protein per lb of your lean body mass (LBM). 1.5g of protein per LBM if you're looking to bulk up.

Off topic.. love your shirt! where did you get it?