New to the VS Gers group

Options
Hi I am Katrina. I will be having the Gastric SLeeve on January 25th. So, I need all the pointers and support that everyone could give. IF anyone could give pointers of things I need to buy to have ready for the surgery for the first couple of weeks. Also, things I need to do to start in the next phases. Please anyone feel free to add me as a friend. I am so happy this support group is on here.I look forward talking to everyone and reading people's journeys. I just hope my journey will be as successful as some as you guys.

Replies

• JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina, Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I'll add you as a friend, and also feel free to ask me anything. (lots I don't know, but lots I can give my experience on :) )

As for what you need pre/post surgery, your best resource is the program you are going through, and the people who've gone through it there. Most also offer support groups, which I highly recommend you start going to now, as it can give you a lot of insight. One thing you'll notice here in this thread, is that bariatric programs vary widely for the same surgery. Some programs require 2-4 weeks of liquids pre/post, and some programs don't require liquids at all. So keep that in mind when people are telling you of their own experiences. Like I said, your program's Dr's, nutritionists, nurses etc, can give you good guidlines.

I had my VSG in Scottsdale 10 months ago tomorrow! I'm very, very happy with the decision, but it's hard work, and you can't expect the VSG will do it for you. The MFP VSG community is great, and everyone is always helpful! Good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina. I completely agree with Jilly. Your surgeon and his/her support team are your best resource. What you get here is the friend support and cheering section. We do give a little advice about thigs like avoiding certain foods or types of exercises that work well for us, but what you are going to need pre and post op needs to come from your surgeon's office. I had my sleeve July 2011, so about 18 months ago. I still have around 90 pounds or so to go. Please go ahead and add me as a friend if you want. This is a journey and we are all on it at different levels, but we all support one another. Good luck on January 25!
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina! I have to second almost everything Jilly said! She almost took the words out of my mouth. I have found this to be a VERY worthwhile thing. I started my journey with the nutritionist in early August 2011, surgery March 5, 2012 and am so very thankful. Now, I had a lot to lose, so even down 126, I still have another 100 or so to go. Mine is going to be a bit slower, though, since I had a very bad hip for most of that. I finally got it replace in late November and have found a whole new life - I can even go swimming again, which I was really missing!

The different doctors do seem to do the nutrition - when you can start liquids vs heavier liquids, vs soft solids and etc at different times. I personally listened to my nutritionist on all of that, and the guidelines they gave. Now, as for all the rest, this group and my monthly support group at the hospital where I had my surgery are the best things I have. It is really overwhelming if you try to find answers on just general internet sources, where these people are all in this with you - myself included! None of us are perfect and I promise you will make mistakes too -- don't beat yourself up, learn from them and no matter what, know that you are changing your life for yourself more than anything in the world. It can't be about anyone, but needs to be about you.

Good luck and I will send you are request.
    Melanie
  • katrinacolemire
    Options
    Thanks Girls for your comments. I wish I livd close enough to my hospital to attend the meeting groups, but I am almost 2 1/2 hours away. I will keep their phone number handy though and call them with any questions I may have. This website and Gastric Sleeve Talk has helped alot, and I have found alof of people like yourselves, willing to help mentor me.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina, welcome. I'm gettin sleeved on march 13th and am finding if SOOOOO helpful to be able to see what my VSG friends are eating and what they're doing for exercise etc. You've come to the right place for inspiration and support!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrima! The one thing I would suggest is make sure you buy a brand of protein that you like. I spent alot of money trying different brands but just could get them down. The only one I can still drink is Unjury.
  • krista1020
    Options
    Hi Katrina! I will be sleeved on Feb. 13. I'm in the same boat as you as far as living far away from the hospital.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention...I have tried at least a dozen brands of protein powder to find what I like. It if helps, I really like the Body Fortress brand of chocolate powder. I mix it with milk and my two great nieces (ages 6 and 2) steal it away! They call it Mimi's (what they call me) chocolate milk.

I will warn you, the chocolate peanut butter doesn't taste like I expected. I LOVE peanut butter, so I was really excited....once I mixed it, it really tasted more like coffee to me and I am not a coffee fan!
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    Hi Katrina! I second everything that's been said. A note on the protein - I tried a lot! I seem to be very intolerant of most. So finding someplace I could by samples from was awesome (unfortunately, I tossed a lot...bummer). Vitalady.com offers samples of lots of different flavors for $2.99 (the last time I bought some - can't promise they'll always be that price). Some of the brands offer sample packs too - google is your friend. I love the support I get on MFP in this forum. Keep posting! You're on your way!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina! I will be sleeved on Feb. 13. I'm in the same boat as you as far as living far away from the hospital.

Me too... I live in Pennsylvania... getting sleeved in Tijuana. I get my support from here and from the VST forum.
  • scrapingd
    scrapingd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    always best to follow your dr's plan, but I also know that you are looking for things beyond that, maybe the little things they don't tell you? I agree with getting a protein down that you like.. I HATE shakes and I don't drink them. I use the hot chocolates, soups and puddings instead. The one protein i can handle is nectar double stuffed cookie.. I also liked to have kool whip free in the house.. popsicles were my friend and sugar free pudding.. I am only 5 weeks out so i am still testing the waters with regular foods. So far i have no issues with anything. once you move to the soft foods, laughing cow cheese is great, i lived on eggs and on tuna. I put the cans in the fridge it just tasted better cool, lol. UMMM oh i also bought a bunch of drink mixes for water. You will be drinking A LOT and i didnt want to get burnt out on a flavor. Make sure you have a chewy multi vitamin lined up that is not a gummy... bring a small pillow, it hurt like hell on my left side for a long time, i swear i couldn't lay in the bed for two weeks (and i have a high pain tolerance, but i had a longer more extensive surgery) the pillow helped while i walked i held it against my belly.. oh a heating pad also felt good on my tummy after surgery... chapstick, and oh sugar free candy. I lost a lot of weight fast and my body went into ketosis and that left a horrid taste in my mouth no matter how much i brushed.. i hope some of this rambling helps you
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others on finding a protein powder that you like.

Pre-surgery, I REALLY liked the Bariatric Advantage shakes.
    Post-surgery, nope. My favorite shakes are by Syntrax Nectar: Chocolate Truffle, Cappuccino, Strawberry Mousse, and Vanilla Torte. (Cookies & Cream is okay, but the teensy cookie pieces just settle at the bottom.) I don't care for their fruity drinks (like fuzzy navel, etc.)

Pre-Surgery: I liked using a blender and ice cubes to make the shakes.
    Post-Surgery: I prefer to use a Blender Bottle to mix shakes. I have three of the 20 oz. sizes that I rotate through.

Pre-Surgery: I switched to making shakes with light soy milk because I had read that some people find they are lactose sensitive after the surgery.
    Post-Surgery: I've found I like the taste of shakes made with light soy milk better than with skim milk. I don't know why!! I like the taste of skim milk and it doesn't seem to bother me.

Other things that I still use:
    Small bread plates as my dining plates (we bought extras of these at a Corelle outlet store)
    Ziploc containers in the 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup sizes
    Nightly we still have a sugar free popsicle or sugar free fudgesicle (the Hubs likes both of these too, and it takes care of the sweet tooth without breaking the calorie budget)
    Nature's Best Isopure unflavored protein powder - mixes great with hot cocoa or other protein shakes. Tastes nasty in oatmeal.
    Vitamin organizer, 4 a day, seven days - link to Amazon: http://amzn.to/10e6sFG

Things I bought but didn't use:
    Toddler size utensils
    Cuisinart smoothie maker (basically a one-person mini blender) -- Shakes made with this have too much air in them. Just my opinion. I know others really like their Bullets, etc. I guess I DO use it when I make pudding.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    OH... and one of the important things is that I switched to Dial antibacterial body wash. It's antibacterial and seems to keep the ketosis body stench at bay. :)
  • katrinacolemire
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have never heard of the Ketosis before. Is that always common when losing alot of weight? When you put the extra powder in the Coco, how much protein did that add to it? Where can you buy it at? I guess everyone just has to play trial and error for their shakes. Now with my surgery I am only required to do the shakes for the first 3 months. Do you think it would benefit to do the Protein stuff afterwards? The ziploc bags were a good idea. I also liked the idea of the sugarfree candy. I probably wouldn't have thought of it.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • CollieDebbie
    CollieDebbie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina, I just friended you and wanted to add my agreement to the above posters. I worked with a bariatric md for 3 yrs until we decided that the VSG would be a good choice for me. Nothing else having worked, of course. 9 months out and I am very satisfied with how it's gone. Now I am entering the last 25 lbs to goal and am finding that I must apply lessons learned. The sleeve isn't the total answer, it's perhaps 80 percent of the answer. The other part is what I choose to do. Having PCOS insulin resistance doesn't make it easy for me but I know what the carb cravings mean and hopefully handle them much better with a key part of my stomach gone. Have you been told what size bougie your surgeon will use? Smaller the better.