First Day on the 21 Day Daniel Fast

Options
I am feeling motivated on this first day of fasting. I feel that my body is overdue for a cleansing. Although this will be extremely challenging for me, I believe that I can accomplish this task. I fasted last week until 2:00 p.m. everyday and although it was focused more on spiritual connection with God, it allowed me to feel empowered knowing that God gave us the free will and choice to say "NO" to ourselves. Sometimes we have to deny self in order to gain. By fasting last week, it helped me become more consistent in all aspects of my life, but especially with food and not having to constantly think about what I was going to eat or what I'm putting into my mouth. My mind was more focused on becoming spriitually stronger. At times throughout the day, when those hunger pains at away at me and I felt my stomach folding within myself, I remembered that scripture Luke 9:23 New International Version (NIV)

23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

I will hold on to this scripture for strength in completing this fast.

Restriction List Below:
All animal products including all meat, poultry, fish…
White rice
White bread
All deep fried foods
Caffeine
Coffee (including decaf b/c contains small amount of caffeine)
Carbonated beverages
Energy drinks
Foods containing preservatives, additives
Refined foods
Processed foods
Food additives
Refined sugar
Sugar substitutes
Raw sugar
Syrups
Molasses
Cane juice
White flour
Margarine
Shortening
High fat products
Butter
All leavened breads
Baked goods
All dairy
Milk
Cheese
Yogurt
Cream
Eggs
Alcohol
Mayonnaise

Replies

• 2tang
    2tang Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi All,

I am in week 2 of my fast - I started on the 6th...this is my second year doing the fast and it really does help to start the year off right spiritually. Last year, I gained some weight while on the fast because it predominantly high carbs, so please be mindful of what your eating.This year, I started preparing myself for the fast right after christmas (reduced meat consumption and started looking diet friendly vegetarian recipes; planning devotion) and so far I have not had any issues.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am also on week 2 of the Daniel Fast. Each year my church does a corporate fast and it's between the individual and God the type of fast they will do. My first couple of days was supposed to be water only, but got the flu. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the medication on an empty stomach so I transitioned on to the Daniel's Fast. I started preparing for the fast right before Christmas, by increasing my water consumption and decreasing my food consumption. I also stopped logging my food on MFP.

I had a focus each day that I was praying and reading about. For the last 8 days, I am determined to finish reading "Loving God With All My Mind" and "The Eden Diet" I realize that a transformation of the mind must occur if we are to see the rewards of denying our flesh and not going back.

I remember when the fast ended last year and I woke up to "I Won't Go Back" By Vishan Mitchell I think. It was a great declaration. I started that fast (2012)weighing 225 and ended that fast weighing 206. After returning to normal food I leveled out at 211 and by the third month after the fast ended weighed 196. I probably would have kept losing but got caught up in "eating more to weigh less" and ended up weighing 203 January 3 of this year. So far I think i'm down to 198 as of my follow up doctor's visit. Oh that's another thing, i put the scale away, so that would not be focus while on the fast.
  • SunshineSacker
    Options
    Hi, My name is Laura and I am new to the Daniel Fast. I am also discovering the groups on my fitness pal. And so I am excited to be part of this group. I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I get into this fast and hope that I will be able to come here for help if I need it.
    Blessings on you all,
    Laura
  • SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have a menu plan, what does a typical day look like for any of you? please help
  • knocklives4life
    Options
    There were several websites dedicated to recipes and sample menu plans for Daniel Fast. I believe if you search vegan sites or do a Google search for sample menu plans for Daniel Fast, you will get some results. I'm refraining from eating any meat products including fish, with only consuming water as beverage, brown rice, lentils/ beans, fruits and vegetables. I noticed that some people incorporate whole grain pasta and some potatos into their Daniel Fast, but I didn't. I felt those items would lead me back to incorporating more sugary or high carb items into my diet. Sample of my diet plan today was:

Breakfast:
    -whole banana
    - hummus, carrots, celery
    - 15 almonds

Lunch:
    vegetable soup

Dinner
    black beans
    whole grain brown rice
    stewed tomatoes
    corn
  • 2tang
    2tang Posts: 44
    Options
    Do you have a menu plan, what does a typical day look like for any of you? please help

I try to keep it simple, so I dont focus so much on food:

Breakfast - oatmeal and fruit (I add almond butter to my oat meal for protein)
    Lunch - left overs from previous night dinner and vegetable soup
    Dinner - Salad or Tofu dish or bean dish such as chili or lentil stew or a curry dish
    Snack - homemade oatmeal bar or fruit

I make a big batch of vegetable stew every weekend and just keep eating bowls of this through out the week. I also make a oatmeal bar (baked oats, dried fruit, almond butter and water - bake at 350 until harden) to snack on during the bake.