New to Paleo

Options
Mjbiggs66
Mjbiggs66 Posts: 4 Member
I started eating Paleo one week ago, have had 3 pretty intense 1-hour workouts, and haven't lost anything! Is this normal? I really expected to lose SOMETHING! I have had a couple of tiny cheats -- a Hershey's kiss here and there, a couple glasses of wine over the weekend. How did everyone else do in their first week? Thanks for the help ...

Replies

• sarahgaye
    sarahgaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think that's totally normal. As your body adjusts it might take a little while for any weight to come off. Plus, if you're doing intense strength workouts and building muscle, muscle weighs more than fat.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    thats ok I think, I lost 1 pound the first 4 weeks, then the next 4 weeks I lost 6 more ....so it was slow at first, then a big loss...but I was pretty strict, no sugar at all, and very little wine :) also more strength training than cardio.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Overall very normal. Your body goes through a lot of changes. Many even gain a little in the beginning.

Of course, the "couple of tiny cheats" can be a red flag, as the "tiny cheat" is in reality a slice of pie. ;^)

Lastly, don't equate exercise with weight loss. I can't seem to drum it up, but someone said, "Exercising to burn calories is about the stupidest reason you can give.".

Exercise to gain a level of fitness, to supplement a sport or activity. But don't fall prey to the "working off a cheesecake" mentality that leads people to "chronic cardio".
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started eating Paleo one week ago, have had 3 pretty intense 1-hour workouts, and haven't lost anything! Is this normal? I really expected to lose SOMETHING! I have had a couple of tiny cheats -- a Hershey's kiss here and there, a couple glasses of wine over the weekend. How did everyone else do in their first week? Thanks for the help ...

Give it time. If you have changed up a routine then your body will need time for adjustments.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat and it actually takes lots of work and time to gain muscle mass. But what the body will do is hold on to some h2o for recovery! So there could be a number of factors involved. Give yourself time and at some point all the other amazing benefits will be revealed!