375lbs c25k

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
Hello,
im 37 375lbs and dream of running and i want it bad.
Need some advice on how to start for my weight range. I have been jogging this week but compared to the weight loss c25k plan i have just downloaded it seems i was going at it to hard which explains why i have had some fatigue , pain and was unable to workout the rest of the week.
these are my questions
1. What pace should I be running and walking( is jogging ok)? should i be going all out during the run phase?
2. Can i lift weights on the rest days or should I just do upper body on rest days? how do i fit in weight lifting?
3. I read some people use a heart rate monitor to set the pace when they are running, do any of you?
4. Could/should I switch out the running once once or twice a week for an exercise bike to limit the strain on my body the first month or so?
5. I have a dog I walk every day and do about 20-30 min at a pretty brisk pace. how would this effect my training?
6. How do you keep motivated during and before workouts?
7. What kind of stretching should i be doing before after?
8. I read for weight loss ending in 30 sec - 2min sprints keeps the metabolism burning longer. any thoughts on incorporating this into a c25k program.

Feel free to add me if you would like to watch me melt away.
Thanks in advance.
Remember : I am a big guy and not all the answers will be the same as they are for you.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't have answers for all of your questions but I'll try to answer a few.

1. I trot (not run) for now. My goal is to do the program and worry about speed/time later. For me, it's about being able to do the 5K eventually.
    3. I don't use a HRM. It may be helpful; I don't know because I've never used one. I listen to my body. If my heart is thwacking away, I slow down. If my muscles are complaining, I try to ignore them and only slow down if they really complain hard. :D
    4. I wouldn't switch out any of the running days for a stationary bike. So far, the running periods of the program are lengthening all the time, which gives my body a chance to keep up. Switching out a running day may make the next jump in running time really daunting. You don't want to quit because you're feeling overwhelmed.
    5. Once you're on your way with the program, can the dog jog along beside you? You can do both activities at once that way and it would be fun to jog along with the dog.
    6. I get a lot of motivation from the people here. People here are really great.
    8. So far, I've been doing the workouts on a treadmill (horrible weather) and have been doing longer workouts (45-60 minutes). I do the C25K program first (about 30 min) then do a combination of walk & short jogs for the rest, with the last 10 minutes being a walking cool-down & slowly slowing the pace every few minutes.

Whatever you do, just keep at it and stick to it. We're here to encourage and help each other along. You can do this.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    go slow the stress on your body is jaring
    do your runs on set run days
    If you need to repeat a week do it never be afraid to repeat a week
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Start slow and steady, you may have to walk more for a start, repeat a week if need to.

HRM is useful, I use it to pace myself, as I realize I was pushing myself very hard, and took me longer to recover. Now, with HRM, I was able to ensure that my heart rate is below 80% and most of the time within 50-70%, to enure that I don't hurt my body in the long run.

For before workout, i usually do the lossening of the joints exercises, swing arms, roll head, roll knee, ankle, knee kick. For after workout stretches, I usually incorporate yoga/Pilate moves that stretches the calfs, thighs, back, for a good 15 mins. That helps to relax the muscles after the run.

Yes, you can do strength the following day, I would work on strengthening the thigh muscles, core, abs, back. That helps in running. Just ensure that you start with lighter weights.

After you are able to so the 5k, you may incorporate sprints into your runs, that helps with burning more calories as it brings your heart rate to max, but there are many other exercise to burn more calories too.
  • dubist
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice.
    I have been doing my 30 min walk and adding a min of jogging every week on (4 min jogging every other day).
    I will start the program on the 20th of this month.
    I still feel very awkward jogging @ my weight I guess its something I have to get used to.

I am using the runtastic app and it works great so far. great way to look back and track progress.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Im starting tonight at 249 pounds. I also walk the dog daily and do 30 day shred, so this is to build stamina while the others are to build muscle and wear out the hyperactive puppy :)
  • dubist
    Options
    just completed my first week of c25k. love my new shoes.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    yay that is just all kinds of awesomeness on your part :tongue:
  • demilade
    Options
    Finished day 2 of week one. My butt cheeks are really sore? Otherwise going ok.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So I was 330lbs when I started my C25K adventures. And somethings that I learned I am willing to share:

1. Invest in your shoes. Otherwise pay in surgeries for shins, knees, feet and back later. Also invest in your inserts. Military recommends replacing your shoes every 3 months with daily use. So I go by that and the feel of the tread. Always replace your inserts as well.

2. Yeah weight loss is defiantly going to happen. No magical trick behind it- just get up n'go! Keep track of your calories and eat sensibly! Invest in a HRM to really know if you're phoning it in or actually pushing for the burn (they're really aafforidble, used ones as low as 35-45).

3. Music. Having music tunes out your brain and pushes you. I notice my cadences are better when I jog to high speed/fast paced music. I also try to keep my foot falls to the beat of 4/4 time with 'I wanna be an airbourne ranger...' (It helps me at least if there is a pause inbetween songs, or if the song is to slow for me).

4. Don't stop. Keep going. The results will happen. :3

Feel free to add. I'm a bit of a jerkoff at times, because I'm an angry video game nerd- but eh! I come by it honestly.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Yay!!! You did it! You're off to a great start.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Great! new shoes can make a world of difference. Especially ones that cost so much that you don't dare quit yet. :laugh:

Jogging is perfectly fine. I don't think I added much speed until 3/4 of the way through the program. I spent the first part just building up stamina. I think that's more important than speed for just starting out. Speed comes later. I agree with music to tune out your brain. Pandora is a great app. I found that Eminem's "Lose Yourself" gave me a good rhythm, but I mixed it up, too.

I remember week 1, thinking that I was going to die every day. But I kept at it and it got easier. Those 90 seconds turned into 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, and the next thing I knew I was going 30 minutes straight, not setting any speed records, but I wasn't looking for that. I was just amazed that I did it. :drinker:

You'll amaze yourself, too!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Well done!! :drinker:

Keep up the good work!! I'm starting week 2 tonight :bigsmile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I jogged slower than I walked at first. I interpret the rest days to be "normal activity" so if you walk the dog normally, then keep doing it. Congrats on getting started.
  • dubist
    Options
    Just completed week 3.
    Totally kicked my *kitten*! thinking I should repeat the week before moving on to week 4. my feet are sore but i managed to walk an extra 12 miles this week and I have lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks and 4 in the last week , so double bonus!!
    I got an HRM, still trying out how to use it with the c25k. Do I want to keep my heart rate above a certain rate evan when during the walking sections? plus the strap keeps flipping over.
    Will keep an eye out for new shoe inserts.
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Some weeks will kick your *kitten*.

But if you complete them, then you've done what the program needs you to do.

If you really want to re-do a week, go ahead - the designers point out that this is your program for you. However, if you want to move forward, know that if you completed the previous day, you'll be able to do the next one if you just go slow and concentrate on being able to jog when they say run and walking when they say walk.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well done! And congrats on the weight loss.

For the HRM - u have to tighten the strap such that it confortaby sits on chest.

For the heart rate, you need to check what's your max HR. it is recommended that you don't push yourself higher than that, and less than 20 mins on 80% of max HR because only those athletes can keep to that stamina. Anyway, listen to your body.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    im 37 375lbs and dream of running and i want it bad.
    Then you shall have it. Period.
    Need some advice on how to start for my weight range. I have been jogging this week but compared to the weight loss c25k plan i have just downloaded it seems i was going at it to hard which explains why i have had some fatigue , pain and was unable to workout the rest of the week.
    these are my questions
    1. What pace should I be running and walking( is jogging ok)? should i be going all out during the run phase?
    Any pace that is comfortable for you is fine. There is no speed requirement, the focus of the program is to build your endurance at higher intensity. "Higher" is different for everyone. No, you should not be going all out during the run phase. A slow jog is perfectly fine. Don't feel obligated to push your pace on the walking parts, use that time to recover so you can jog again.
    2. Can i lift weights on the rest days or should I just do upper body on rest days? how do i fit in weight lifting?
    You absolutely should do strength training in between run days, 2-3 days per week is a pretty common recommendation. Don't just focus on upper body, try to get total body workouts in. You can either do full-body workouts 2-3 days a week, or do upper one day, lower another day, etc. Your preference. But don't ignore those legs, running alone is not enough. You need exercises that will strengthen your hips, glutes, hamstrings & calves to prevent injury & make you a better runner.
    3. I read some people use a heart rate monitor to set the pace when they are running, do any of you?
    I do use one to set my pace, but only because I am currently going through a heart rate training program. Don't worry about that yet, get yourself to 5k first.
    4. Could/should I switch out the running once once or twice a week for an exercise bike to limit the strain on my body the first month or so?
    That's your call. When I first started running I was about 300 lbs & for the most part running 3x weekly was ok, but sometimes I did swap out a session here & there with elliptical. I still mirrored the scripted workout for that week with low-high intensity on the machine though. If you're having a lot of issues with body soreness & stuff like that, it's a good idea to mix in some cross-training.
    5. I have a dog I walk every day and do about 20-30 min at a pretty brisk pace. how would this effect my training?
    It should help your training by improving your cardiovascular endurance. Keep walking!!
    6. How do you keep motivated during and before workouts?
    I stay focused on my end goal. Every training program I use is because of a goal I set, so knowing that the only way I'll be able to do my very best at that target race is to stick to my training helps me get through the workouts. Good music helps too, a friend recently turned me on to RockMyRun.com & they have sweet running mixes to keep your energy up! Also, keep track of everything you're doing. I have a big spreadsheet I've been keeping of everything I've done since I started losing weight & when I compare my mileage/pace from then with what I'm doing now, I can't help but see progress.
    7. What kind of stretching should i be doing before after?
    I don't really stretch beforehand because you're not supposed to stretch cold muscles. The warm-up walk is enough for me. I do stretch after the cooldown though, just 4 basic stretches to hit the calf, shin, hamstring & quad.
    8. I read for weight loss ending in 30 sec - 2min sprints keeps the metabolism burning longer. any thoughts on incorporating this into a c25k program.
    The C25K program already incorporates sprints...that's what the jogging is. Your metabolism will burn just fine following the program as written.

In general, I would say stop worrying so much. The more you read, the more you'll confuse yourself. There's just no way to incorporate everything you read into your workout program, so don't try. Yes, there may be merit to a lot of the extra things you mentioned, but you're overthinking it.

Keep in mind the program was designed for people who are not morbidly obese, simply inactive. Not to say you can't follow it, but because you are still considerably overweight, the progression of the program may be too aggressive for you so take that into consideration. Only you can determine how much you can handle, & it's perfectly ok to repeat workouts as many times as you have to to complete them. It took me months to get through the program when I first did it.

All that said...you are AWESOME for wanting to be a runner & I have no doubt you'll be running that 5k before you know it! Happy Running!
  • demilade
    Options
    Stupidly left my phone at work over the long weekend, instead of skipping my workouts I'm still doing them but jogging as far as I can, then walking a bit, then jogging again. I think I'm actually jogging longer and walking less then my stage of the program, so I'm happy I'm on track.
  • dubist
    Options
    just completed w4d1. didn't feel it till after the workout my legs are jelly. It was not as hard as anticipated. looking forward to my next workout words i have never uttered in my 37 years.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    you're doing great! I just started this week and am psyched about it... great answers posted here and the only thing I will add is to listen to your body... and if you find you need to repeat a day or a week or whatever, then do it! I am not as concerned with my speed as much as I am focused on just trying to be able to get to the running (jogging) of a 5k. ; )

Good Luck! You are doing it!!!

-lindy