Felt like fool!!

Options
Started the program today, felt like a fool lifting empty bars!! It looks like the program works from the posts on here, but... I am 6' 204 lbs, should I have started at a reasonable amount of weight on the bar??

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! I did the same thing when I started less than 2 weeks ago. I think the program is popular enough that most people in the weight room can guess what you are doing. Even if they are not familiar with the program they will just assume you are working on proper form.

For me, starting this way really helped me feel better about my form being correct and with 5 pounds being added each workout it won't be this way forever.
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks, at least it wasn't just me!
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4 330lbs. If you think the empty bar is bad, wait unit you look at it with those itty bitty 2.5 lb plates on either end! It's not about what it looks like, it's what you end up with. Stick to the guide. It'll get hard soon enough.
  • donkraft
    donkraft Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Linear progression. Dont worry about it. Get the form down now. Weight comes later. Its a very boring program but stick with it for 12 weeks at least.
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you read Rippetoe's stuff, he says if you have experience lifting or it’s just ridiculously easy, you can increase by 10 lbs instead of 5 for the first few weeks or so.
  • RMeDude
    Options
    Finishing week 3 up today, still light, but the habit is formed and that is probably the goal. I am excited about the program, and the iPhone app makes it extremely easy to manage!
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @RmeDude I hear ya on feeling kind of silly. I just finished week one and feel like the biggest challenge was finding the 2.5LB plates at the gym. But I do like the idea of it being a process, reminds me of when I started running; walk first then run.