Adding 5lbs each time you do the exercise...

mareeee1234
mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
Is it TOO MUCH??

I've told a couple people about this, and they were like "whaatt?? thats too quick to add more weight"

But I'm assuming this program is designed correctly?

I wont push myself to lift more than I can handle.

I only just started yesterday, but how did you guys go...? Whats your input on this?

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    I'm still rather new, but for me, I started at this group's recommended weight, which is low for me, for the most part, so for example, I just did deadlifts at 85 with no issues. If you have issues, you try again then deload. I haven't had a problem yet, but I did have to stay at 45lbs for my OHP... sigh.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    If you were starting at like 90% of your max weight it would be too much. The point of stronglifts is to start out at a fairly low weight, so you can get your form down and increase weights rapidly. I've been increasing almost everything every workout. Once in a while I repeat a weight. I've been increasing 2.5# for OHP (though that might change soon to 1#,) 10# for deadlifts, and 5# for everything else.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I will do 2 rotations of A and B before adding 5 more lbs..
  • mareeee1234
    I will do 2 rotations of A and B before adding 5 more lbs..

Yeah thats a good idea!
  • mareeee1234
    Thanks for the replies :)

I think I'm going to start low at first and make sure I build it up, rather than rushing to a heavy weight.

But I thought the whole point was that each 5x5 you do, is your MAX weight? But if you do this, it means you're adding too much too handle, when you add 5lbs each time? Possibly ??
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    I did 25 lbs last week.... did 35 lbs today.... Im planning to increase weekly not every other workout..... working on form before increasing weights
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

I think I'm going to start low at first and make sure I build it up, rather than rushing to a heavy weight.

But I thought the whole point was that each 5x5 you do, is your MAX weight? But if you do this, it means you're adding too much too handle, when you add 5lbs each time? Possibly ??

No the whole point is to BUILD there, not to start there. The point is to start low, get form correct, then add weight. You should be starting with an empty bar for everything but deadlifts and rows or even lighter if you are not strong with the bar.

So yes, 5 lbs every time yo do the exercise (per day, not per set) - and no its not too much. I did it - started with my squats at around 65, went up to 155 just adding 5lbs per day (with a couple stalls and deloads in there).
  • mareeee1234

No the whole point is to BUILD there, not to start there. The point is to start low, get form correct, then add weight. You should be starting with an empty bar for everything but deadlifts and rows or even lighter if you are not strong with the bar.

So yes, 5 lbs every time yo do the exercise (per day, not per set) - and no its not too much. I did it - started with my squats at around 65, went up to 155 just adding 5lbs per day (with a couple stalls and deloads in there).

Okayyyy, I think I am understanding better now! Its not too much, because we are starting low so we can BUILD from there and also get correct form ect..
    I think I get it !
    This is good, cause I am starting low..I only did 15kg (33lbs) yesterday with workout A.
  • mareeee1234
    I did 25 lbs last week.... did 35 lbs today.... Im planning to increase weekly not every other workout..... working on form before increasing weights

Yep, I reckon I'll be doing the same thing :) thanks for you input !
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    I think it all depends on where you start.

If you start from absolute beginner, never before lifting...then you will be starting low and learning form, like others have mentioned.

I started SL a few weeks ago after doing NROLFW for 3 months, so my lifts were already at a higher weight. I'm just now at the point where I'm slowing my progression. For example...I just got the squats at 125lbs for 5x5. That was after I failed the workout before. I'm not going to add 5 more lbs for at least another week.
  • mareeee1234
    Thank you! Any other replies appreciated toooo!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hmmm, if you start at the beginning with just the bar then adding 5 lbs is the way to go. As you lift heavier, you get closer to your maxes and the increments become smaller. Take advantage of the newbie gains in strength and push really hard, you will surprise yourself and also have that great sense of achievement, how do you know you cannot do something until you try?!
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    I purchased lengths of chain from the hardware store to weigh 1.25 lbs each. That way, I can increase my weight each workout by a total of 2.5 lbs instead of 5 lbs, which was getting a bit too much as I moved further along in the program. You can find web pages that talk about micro-loading to find which kind of chain to use. Waaay cheaper than buying ready-made micro-loading plates.
  • mareeee1234
    Thank you for responses!