Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
Any help would be appreciated: http://youtu.be/z87VXhu1CEA

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with this lift, but generally, you drop your chest and round your shoulders, rather then keeping that tight. Also, I can't tell how wide your grip is, but making that more narrow will lower the end point position of the bar.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I have no experience with this lift, but generally, you drop your chest and round your shoulders, rather then keeping that tight. Also, I can't tell how wide your grip is, but making that more narrow will lower the end point position of the bar.

Thank you. I should have posted the question that I asked in the photos that I had put up last week. The question I had was how to keep from having to round my back and shoulders in order to get the bar past my hamistrings and the donk. If I maintain posture the bar gets stuck at my mid thigh and it ends up tucked up under my *kitten*.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Never liked this movement, you can easily replicate it using a.........wait for it........... smith machine(!!) with less effort and get the same result.

For certain people with certain Leverages it's just not going to be suitable. I wouldn't spend too much time messing about with what is essentially an accessory lift anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXwgLUlUAWU
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The previous answers pretty much cover it, but my one thought is would a trap bad solve the problem of the bar getting stuck?

Just a thought, but I've never even tried this move, let alone fully understand it, so I might be missing something!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you could post a vid of it getting stuck it might help. I saw your other thread, that's why I added the grip part. As far as I can think, bar grip distance is the only way to change where the bar falls when you fully stand up. Maybe stance a little as well. Also, it's not supposed to go over your *kitten*, which is looking great, btw!
  • billthekill
    Options
    Do you deadlift?

Like it was pointed out earlier, this is an accessory exercise. Deadlifting would be 10x more important for your body.

If you have trouble with good form on deadlifting, you can try "Sumo" style which keep your back more upright through out the movement.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Yes, I definitely dead lift. I've moved over to a hack squat machine, but my other gym doesn't have one. I've never done them before, but they're a part of PHAT so during the first few weeks I wanted to do the program as written before I sub in other moves.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely dead lift. I've moved over to a hack squat machine, but my other gym doesn't have one. I've never done them before, but they're a part of PHAT so during the first few weeks I wanted to do the program as written before I sub in other moves.

PHAT is very customisable. There is nothing particularly specially about the hack squat which can't be easily replicated by doing something else.

As far as I know Layne Norton actually uses a hack squat machine for his hack squatting not a free bar anyway.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Your hip thrust looks exaggerated. Like your either: 1. trying too hard or 2. the wait is too heavy. That being said, the smith will allow a more controlled motion. If possible use a hack squat machine.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason you do this vs traditional squat/dead? You round your back trying to get the bar up passed your butt.