jerkkkky

Options
I'm new to paleo, just finishing up my first week. I was wondering about meat jerky. I've seen some paleo meal plans where it can be included in snacks with fruit. What kind do I buy? Isn't it all considered processed?

Replies

• 5mommy
    5mommy Posts: 2
    Options
    We make our own jerky at home. There are lots of paleo jerky recipes online.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I make my own...so then there is no added sugar, wheat or soy :smile: made a batch yesteray and its gone already!! :laugh:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I make my own by blending a can of chilies in adobo with some cider vinegar, a little chili powder and cumin, salt and pepper (you can even add some honey if you want a hot/sweet jerky) and then dehydrate. Steve's Original (stevesoriginal.com) apparentlymakes ssome pretty good paleo jerky in packs that include either just jerky or with fruit and nuts.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Isn't it all considered processed?
    Depends on what you mean by 'processed'. Jerky is just thinly sliced steak seasoned in a marinade and then cooked/dried over a low-heat source to preserve it at room temperature. Basically a steak.

Generally a 'processed food' is one where you are modifying the ingredients (like extracting protein isolate from soy) and then adding back chemicals/ingredients to make up for the loss of nutrients or flavor. Commercial jerky that has hydrolyzed vegetable protein added for 'flavor' and BHA/BHT for additional 'shelf life' could be considered processed. Making your own isn't.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some people like to play word games and say that everything we eat is "processed". If you cook it, it's processed, they'll say. So all the distinction is gone. Stick that in your ear. Seriously.

Jerky is good and it is perhaps the drop-dead simplest thing to make in all the evers.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I haven't made my own yet. Steve's Paleo "just jerky" is good. Sophia's survival jerky is much drier and thinner strips, but I think I actually prefer it.

Most jerky in stores is loaded with sugar and soy.

I also have tried tanka bites. Blech.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I third Steve's Club jerky! very tasty. I find even the "health food stores" sell jerky with a lot of sugar and things in the ingredients that don't seem to be necessary. I bought Steve’s since I’m new to paleo but I hope to start making my own. I’ve seen some recipes that don’t require a dehydrator.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: Found this on Everyday Paleo blog: It's free shipping week for Steve's Original. I might have to check some of this stuff out!

http://everydaypaleo.com/jerky-good-get-some-steves-original-free-shipping-week/
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: Found this on Everyday Paleo blog: It's free shipping week for Steve's Original. I might have to check some of this stuff out!

http://everydaypaleo.com/jerky-good-get-some-steves-original-free-shipping-week/

You got to be kidding! I JUST ordered $70 worth of food last week :( haha Murphy's law. Definitely a GREAT opportunity the food has been great. I ordered two sampler packs.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Those who make their own, what kind of meat do you use?
  • ssparks5849
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I just placed on order, although the code did not work for me (tried twice). Oh well, excited to try something different. I'm a little over a week in and my fiance is a week and a half in and collectively we are down 15lbs.