Not so great check up

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
So I had a 6 month check up and it didn't go as I had hoped.

My A1C is 6.3, my fasting blood sugar was 132, cholesterol was 232, HDL 67, Triglycerides 55 and my LDL 154. My liver and kidney functions are normal. My doctor said that I should continue with my diet and exercise program and see him in 6 months. No changes at this time.

I must admit that I haven't been testing as much as I should have and been kinda dismissive of my condition. Do you think it is time to starting with a new doctor or try to change things on my own? I am kinda suprised by the fasting number for the day. I wonder if my meter is really off. When I took it before my appointment my meter read 109. His results said 132. that is a big jump in only an hour.

Thoughts?

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How often do you check your BG? Do you check after meals? Are you on medication?

You can check your meter with the control solution. Make sure your meter is coded correctly to the strips. But, it's not unusual to jump like that.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Right now I use the Freestyle meter and the strips that come with it so I am guessing they are coded to the right meter. I used to test in the am and after every meal but my readings were consistant enough (my breakfast is the same every day and lunch is usually a left over from the previous night) that I only test when I eat new things after a meal. I test in the am when I wake up and before I go to bed so I can see if I spike at night.

Not on any medication at the moment.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You admit that you have been dismissive of your condition. There is not a doctor in the world that can overcome a patient not taking their diabetes seriously. It is up to us to control it, with or without the help of a doctor.

I think that after a while we can get away with less frequent testing, but only after we have come to understand how each of the foods we eat cause our BG to react. I don't test nearly as often as I used to, but I stick to my diet. If I'm not adhering to that diet, I would need to check my BG more frequently.

But the best way to get our diabetes under control and keep it there is to always take it seriously.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    You're right Travis. I think I became dismissive because I was sticking to my diet and everything being status quo. It also does not help that my husband keeps saying it won't kill you if you have a little of this and a little of that. I guess I started believing him and had a little of this and little of that too much. I know what he is going to say about these results. I can hear it now. LOL

"It's not too bad and the end of the world." Maybe not for him but he doesn't have diabetes. LOL

I am concerned about my cholesterol level but I have to go back and see what it was on my last visit. I think it is a bit higher than my test 6 months ago.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Right now I use the Freestyle meter and the strips that come with it so I am guessing they are coded to the right meter. I used to test in the am and after every meal but my readings were consistant enough (my breakfast is the same every day and lunch is usually a left over from the previous night) that I only test when I eat new things after a meal. I test in the am when I wake up and before I go to bed so I can see if I spike at night.

Not on any medication at the moment.

You may want to start testing after meals again to be sure that you have not become more carb sensitive.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My A1C is 6.3, my fasting blood sugar was 132, cholesterol was 232, HDL 67, Triglycerides 55 and my LDL 154. My liver and kidney functions are normal. My doctor said that I should continue with my diet and exercise program and see him in 6 months. No changes at this time.

When I took it before my appointment my meter read 109. His results said 132. that is a big jump in only an hour.
    My first thought is that I've seen a lot worse numbers and the HDL and Trig. numbers are actually pretty good, don't you think? You're right that there's room for improvement there though. The lab results are always higher than my meter results but if you really want to minimize any time difference, take your meter with you to the lab and do a test as close as possible to their blood letting. There will most likely still be a difference but at least you will have eliminated the possibility of a jump. If you know of someone who has a good doctor for diabetes then changing might help. But if you just change doctors at random then it might take you awhile to find a really good one for your circumstances. Out of curiosity, what exactly are your expectations from your doctor?
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what exactly are your expectations from your doctor?

I am not sure. I know a few diabetics who see their doctor every three month due their condition. I don't know whether it is controlled or not. I also know someone on medication that has an A1C of 6.4 and his doctor told him that he wants to see him at 6 before he takes him off his medication. Is my doctor ok with it being under 7 that any A1C under 7 to him is acceptable? I by no means want to go on medication and that is not what I am fishing for. I am not sure what I should be expecting from my doctor since this is really only my second time seeing him since being diagnosed.
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Hello everyone and Good evening! Since my doctor sprang the news on me 9 weeks ago that my A1C was 6.5 and fasting was 101, I have been very strict with diet and exercise. It has always been in the 5.7-5.9 range and fasting was almost always under 100, except twice in last 3 years 103 and 107. Typically it is 95-98.

Now here is my questions and any answers will be appreciated. First, It takes two reading of 6.5 or higher to be classified as diabetic. This is what I have read and wondering what others thought. My next reading will be in mid- November.

Second, I am not on medication but I do have glucose meter and my endocronlogist after my first reading in her office two hours after eating was 91. She is excellent DR. and this is why she suggested just weekly. Every reading once a week was in high 80's to mid 90's, except last night after what I thought was 2 hours after eating but probbaly closer to an hour an half, my number was 123. Question, if my timing was off a half hour could that have been change or the fact I had a huge serving of Brown whole grain rice and chicken, cause these numbers?

Again, any response will be very appreciated.

Thanks to all and have a good Friday.

WCUCATS 77
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    An A1C of 7 is an average BG of 172. No way is that acceptable. But most doctors are trained to think so (this is beginning to change). This is your health, your life, your future, and you need to take control of it. There is an argument that diabetics are entitled to the same BGs as a nondiabetic person--Entitled. That means 70 to 110 everyday, 24-hours a day. We have to think of not right now, but 20 years down the line and the significant and degrading affects a 'not normal' BG may have on us.

So, please, if it is within your power, please take care of it now. That doesn't mean you can't have crackers or chocolate cake.. it just means that you make your crackers from almond meal and psyllium husks, and your chocolate cake from almond meal and a few black beans.. it's just as good (or better). There are so many recipes out there for us which won't raise our blood sugars beyond normal. And exercise must be part of your lifestyle. It may be that you have to go on something like Metformin for a little while until you stabilize your blood sugars.. but with an A1C of 6.3, you may well be able to bring it down in the 5's with just a few modifications to diet and moderate exercise.

Forgive me for being so forward. Recently diagnosed exactly one month ago, I've done almost nothing but research on the latest studies concerning diabetes. Things will change down the road, I understand. The new recommended BGs and diet plans won't be in our textbooks for about 25 years (pathetic, I know). Please don't wait until then.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    An A1C of 7 is an average BG of 172. No way is that acceptable. But most doctors are trained to think so (this is beginning to change). This is your health, your life, your future, and you need to take control of it. There is an argument that diabetics are entitled to the same BGs as a nondiabetic person--Entitled. That means 70 to 110 everyday, 24-hours a day. We have to think of not right now, but 20 years down the line and the significant and degrading affects a 'not normal' BG may have on us.

So, please, if it is within your power, please take care of it now. That doesn't mean you can't have crackers or chocolate cake.. it just means that you make your crackers from almond meal and psyllium husks, and your chocolate cake from almond meal and a few black beans.. it's just as good (or better). There are so many recipes out there for us which won't raise our blood sugars beyond normal. And exercise must be part of your lifestyle. It may be that you have to go on something like Metformin for a little while until you stabilize your blood sugars.. but with an A1C of 6.3, you may well be able to bring it down in the 5's with just a few modifications to diet and moderate exercise.

Forgive me for being so forward. Recently diagnosed exactly one month ago, I've done almost nothing but research on the latest studies concerning diabetes. Things will change down the road, I understand. The new recommended BGs and diet plans won't be in our textbooks for about 25 years (pathetic, I know). Please don't wait until then.

THIS
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Question, if my timing was off a half hour could that have been change or the fact I had a huge serving of Brown whole grain rice and chicken, cause these numbers?
    It would be the huge serving of brown whole grain rice.
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Thank you Laura, I really appreciate your response. Starled me that saw a number (BG) so much above what I have seen week in and week out.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I took my blood pressure cuff and BG meter to my doctors and checked them both against their machines. Both were within a few numbers, so I am confident that my readings are accurate. See I you can check your meter aginst your doctor's meter.
  • SpiritsJourney
    SpiritsJourney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I noticed you said you took your glucose reading from the arm, I have found that the readings from the arm are always lower than from the finger. Also it is not uncommon for two meters tesing at the same time to be even up to 15 points different. As long as your readings stay within a consistant range on the same meter and similiar testing site, you can be sure that your levels are staying fairly even.
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You admit that you have been dismissive of your condition. There is not a doctor in the world that can overcome a patient not taking their diabetes seriously. It is up to us to control it, with or without the help of a doctor.

I think that after a while we can get away with less frequent testing, but only after we have come to understand how each of the foods we eat cause our BG to react. I don't test nearly as often as I used to, but I stick to my diet. If I'm not adhering to that diet, I would need to check my BG more frequently.

But the best way to get our diabetes under control and keep it there is to always take it seriously.

^^^^ This! Your doctor is right. In fact, I think he was lenient on you. If I had those blood work numbers, I would have had a huge lecture! It is not just the blood sugar. The rest of the numbers tell the same story too.
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I go through periods of denial similar to when I was first diagnosed. When you said you have become dismissive about it I totally understand. It's not always easy, but you need to pick yourself back up and do what you need to do. It's so hard sometimes and I really just want to say the hell with it sometimes.

You can do this. WE can ALL do this!! :)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Living with diabetise isn't all that bad once you master it. That is what i'm told but being a new diabetic from a month. I have a lot to learn. So i'm hanging out in this forum a lot and learning. Thanks go to all of you. So it's out of here to go for my pick.

Linda
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Linda, it does get easier with time. Best thing is to educate yourself, learn what works best for you. Everyone is different, so while you can glean some information from others, you need to find your own road.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I saw my doctor today and she told me that studies have shown that tight glucose control along diabetics is not such a good thing since people have died from hypos. Is that true? She said she thinks I need to be under 7. I am currently struggling at 7.8.
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I cannot stress the truth in this enough