How much cardio do you do?

Options
Shyloh1
Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
Hi!
I've just recently switched to the Primal way of eating. I was reading on Mark's Daily Apple,not do excessive periods of cardio.

I lift heavy weights 3x a week paired with a 20 minute HIIT. I also do steady state cardio 3x a week.

Am I not going to reap the benefits of the Primal way of eating by doing the amount of cardio I do.

Note: I try to keep my Carbs at about 100,even though Mark says 50-100 is optimal.

Thanks in advance!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    None, aside from my workouts as part of my crossfit WODs I do 2-3 times a week and the kettlebell class once a week. I walk my dogs, but that isn't exercise that raises my heat rate much. Thee is really no need to do much cardio unless you enjoy it for the sake of doing it, and if you do, then yes, eat more complex carbs and fruit if you are not looking to lose body fat. Don't even be afraid to go over 100 g. Paleo is not a low carb kind of diet specifically, though some of us choose for it to be to lose fat.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    In regards to carbs... IMHO, terrible for strength training. Ignore it completely. Since you're tracking your macros, have at least 1g per lb bodyweight in protein and.5-.6g of fat. Then fill the remained of your calories with whatever - carbs, or fat. For heavy lifting and HIIT, I'd say more carbs.
    Sme people have higher carbs in workout days, higher fat on rest days. Whatever works; don't stress it. Major emphasis is on whole foods, not macronutrients restriction.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of a cardio. Mark'snposted some articles on it, himself. Just remember to not overdo it.
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    In regards to carbs... IMHO, terrible for strength training. Ignore it completely. Since you're tracking your macros, have at least 1g per lb bodyweight in protein and.5-.6g of fat. Then fill the remained of your calories with whatever - carbs, or fat. For heavy lifting and HIIT, I'd say more carbs.
    Sme people have higher carbs in workout days, higher fat on rest days. Whatever works; don't stress it. Major emphasis is on whole foods, not macronutrients restriction.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of a cardio. Mark'snposted some articles on it, himself. Just remember to not overdo it.

Thanks so much!
    You've been very helpful!:smile:
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    None, aside from my workouts as part of my crossfit WODs I do 2-3 times a week and the kettlebell class once a week. I walk my dogs, but that isn't exercise that raises my heat rate much. Thee is really no need to do much cardio unless you enjoy it for the sake of doing it, and if you do, then yes, eat more complex carbs and fruit if you are not looking to lose body fat. Don't even be afraid to go over 100 g. Paleo is not a low carb kind of diet specifically, though some of us choose for it to be to lose fat.

I also wanted to add,that I also walk my dog 1-2x a day(depending on my work schedule). I'm usually out with her anywhere from 30-60 minutes at a time. I also have a physical job,where I'm on my feet quite a bit.

Thanks for your insight!:smile:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    ive been paleo 12 weeks now , still do 30 min of cardio at the least 6 times a week, did 50 min today no problem , never really changed it, however I have increased my strength training by 100% , at least equals my cardio time or more .
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio! I lift and do cardio. I do it for enjoyment (dance and Zumba) so I'm not giving it up. Just eat a good amount of protein and carb load when you need to.

I feel good overall about the way my body is changing with my combo. I do 3 days a week of cardio and 3 of strength.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Unless you're involved in a sport like boxing, I'd drop it completely. Especially if you're working in HIIT. You'll have more than enough gas in the tank for anything you'd encounter in your day-to-day.

My knee-jerk reaction to a 100g recommendation of carbs is that it's ludicrous. After further consideration, I find it ludicrous. But, there are people that require more than others. Try playing with it.

Also, keep your carbs for post-workout as much as is reasonable.
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    Today is my rest day and I'm going to enjoy it! :wink:

I guess I'll just play around with my carbs and see how I feel. (I will for sure carb load after workouts!)
  • bonnieellison96
    bonnieellison96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Nerd Fitness workout routine, and they say cardio isn't necessary unless you just like it, and to focus more on strength training as that does what you need, from gaining muscle, to losing fat, to maintaining the size you are =)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't do steady state cardio, because I usually feel like crap during/afterwards. I do HIITs, because I love sprinting, and I love walking.

I'll do HIITS 2-3x a week after I weight lift.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't do very much straight cardio (i.e. treadmill, running, hopping around to a video) - but I do do a lot of HIIT and body strength workouts. I do a Cardio kickboxing...so it isn't steady stream cardio but it does get my heart rate up there...

I may do 15-20 minutes of elliptical at the gym 1 - 2x's a week after I do strength training - my gym has a cardio cinema and banks of TV in the main room so if something good is on and have some extra time I will hop on an elliptical or an arc trainer (even then I do a form of HIIT where I go 2-3 minutes at a lower rate - like 5 MPH and then do a minute at 7 MPH)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I Crossfit 3-4 times a week, then I try to supplement that with running and walking. I don't do many long cardio sessions anymore, but I will run for 20-30 minutes a couple times a week since I'm trying to train for a 5K.
  • morethanlilies
    Options
    I follow Nerd Fitness too! I do the Beginner's circuit a few times a week and love it! I usually warm up on the elliptical (~5 minutes) at a moderate pace and do a short interval set on the recumbent (maybe 15-20 minutes) and call it quits.