Eating Out?

Options
abetterluke
abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
What are everyones experiences with eating out (fast food and actual restaurants) paleo style? Are there certain places that are easy to eat within the guidelines?

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is about the best "fast" food you can do.

My go to order, bowl, double chicken, no beans, no rice, lettuce, extra hot salsa. it is a pile of protein yummy food.

Nicer restaurants, order yourself the steak, double veggies for sides (skip any potato items).
    Or, chicken salad, no nuts, fruits, croutons, balsamic vinegar (I always get double chicken breasts - well because it just is better)
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    Chipotle is about the best "fast" food you can do.

My go to order, bowl, double chicken, no beans, no rice, lettuce, extra hot salsa. it is a pile of protein yummy food.

Nicer restaurants, order yourself the steak, double veggies for sides (skip any potato items).
    Or, chicken salad, no nuts, fruits, croutons, balsamic vinegar (I always get double chicken breasts - well because it just is better)

Be careful... the chicken is cooked in soybean oil if you want to be strict about it.

Saltgrass is the easiest place for me to eat at... but I assume any steakhouse would be. Order steak without butter and oil... baked sweet potato, broccoli without the same, grilled shrimp without oil, etc.

For quick lunches, I can run to the local greek place... egg and lemon soup, shrimp in olive oil and tomato sauce, potatoes in olive oil. Delicious.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always like burgers in restaurants, I just ask for no bun and extra lettuce (and add the bacon please!) it's delicious and I pair it with a side salad.. mmmm mmm mmm! if you get veggies, ask for them to be cooked in real butter instead of vegetable oil, and with fast food the fresh-mex places like bajio, qdoba, and chipotle are easiest for me! (taco salad, hold the tortilla anyone??) it's not always easy to do the organic/grass fed thing, but if you only eat out occasionally I don't think it'll do much harm :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food because typically fast food places are the farthest from paleo compliant as you can get. So fast food, I'd say avoid

Restaurants (for the most part) however usually use better quality ingredients and you're able to ask for modifications when necessary. For example, I went to a fish house where they had grilled fish. Easy right? They "grilled" it on a flat top, which is fine, but dusted it with flour first to get a good crust. I asked they omit the flour dusting and cook with olive oil instead of the vegetable oil they would have used had I not asked. They had no issue in modifying the cooking procedure for my meal. It's all gonna come down to asking questions about what's in your food and how it's prepared, and politely asking for adjustments. You can also do a crapload of research ahead of time and find good eats before you even head out. It's not impossible to eat out, but you're going to have to do a little legwork more than the average person
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    I always like burgers in restaurants, I just ask for no bun and extra lettuce (and add the bacon please!) it's delicious and I pair it with a side salad.. mmmm mmm mmm! if you get veggies, ask for them to be cooked in real butter instead of vegetable oil, and with fast food the fresh-mex places like bajio, qdoba, and chipotle are easiest for me! (taco salad, hold the tortilla anyone??) it's not always easy to do the organic/grass fed thing, but if you only eat out occasionally I don't think it'll do much harm :)

Again though, if you're being strict about it, bacon from any run of the mill food joint isn't going to be paleo and neither is butter.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What are everyones experiences with eating out (fast food and actual restaurants) paleo style? Are there certain places that are easy to eat within the guidelines?
    As you are noticing from the responses - it depends. :)

If you are hitting fast food as a normal eating choice, I'd say 'avoid' - as it's been pointed out, the meats aren't grass fed/pastured, and the frying oils are generally the worst ones you can ingest - and everything has a bun or tortilla around it. But if you're going because you left your lunch on the top of your car before you drove in, and it'll be several hours before dinner - I'd go to In and Out and order a burger 'protein style'. It may not be the best, but it's a damnsight better than a pizza.

As far as restaurants in general go, I avoid chains - their purchasing practices generally guarantee that they're using stuff bad for you. I'd look at the menus of a few quality restaurants in your area (usually on their website) and see. Any decent place can get you a steak with double veg and hold the breadbasket. Or salmon. Again, may not be 100% paleo/primal, but if it's the occasional thing, it won't kill ya. Obviously, certain styles of restaurants are more difficult: Italian and Mexican are very carb-based. But you can usually find something at a BBQ, steak house or seafood shack.

Since my wife and I eat most of our meals at home, and I keep our home meals strictly paleo/primal, going out falls into the 20% of Sisson's 80/20 rule: strive for perfection, but realize that occasionally you'll be less than perfect.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    Options
    Most Italian joints, good ones anyway, will have Italian sausage on their menu. It's not going to be grassfed most likely, but you can get a couple links with some marinara sauce and veggies.

For mexican food, my fall back is carnitas, hold the beans, rice and tortillas. Carnitas are just slow roasted pork, or fried pork in its own fat, and while it's not gonna be the best quality pork (grain/corn fed), it's better than a burger. Most mexican places will have a carne asada or steak ranchero plate too which is the same -- meat heavy, order it without beans, rice and tortillas and have them sub veggies or a salad
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For fast food, Jimmy John's! As the others have said, take it for what it's worth, but you can order an "unwich" there, which means they wrap the sandwich in lettuce instead of bread. You control what goes on it. My husband and I were away for a funeral, and we ate there twice! The nice thing was when they handed the sandwiches to me I couldn't tell which one had the bun and which one didn't because they give you a salad's worth of lettuce wrapped around it. Obviously not the perfect choice, but it was good for the situation we were in.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    For fast food, Jimmy John's! As the others have said, take it for what it's worth, but you can order an "unwich" there, which means they wrap the sandwich in lettuce instead of bread. You control what goes on it. My husband and I were away for a funeral, and we ate there twice! The nice thing was when they handed the sandwiches to me I couldn't tell which one had the bun and which one didn't because they give you a salad's worth of lettuce wrapped around it. Obviously not the perfect choice, but it was good for the situation we were in.

:( no processed deli meats!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    Options

:( no processed deli meats!

Hence the "take it for what it's worth" and "not the perfect choice"

I thought of another: souplantation/sweet tomatoes. It's mostly the salad bar that's gonna make it a great choice, but they rotate their soups and often have something legal. For example, if you lean primally, they had a cream of mushroom that was really great. It takes asking the chef, but it was mushrooms, chicken stock, sage, some cream and butter, salt and pepper... That was it.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    >.> sleepy you're taking a poo on everyone's suggestions!! if you have to eat out then you're clearly in a pinch and need to make some sacrifices!

i second chipotle, the flavors there are extraordinary. hot sauce + guac is delicious on their steak and chicken.

if i go to texas roadhouse or something, i get a steak, sweet potato and a salad. i don't ask for modifications because i hate to be "that" diner, and also because my best friend worked at a steakhouse and she laughed when i asked if cooks really make the modifications they've been asked for. i guess it all depends on the cook, and the quality of the restaurant.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    >.> sleepy you're taking a poo on everyone's suggestions!! if you have to eat out then you're clearly in a pinch and need to make some sacrifices!

i second chipotle, the flavors there are extraordinary. hot sauce + guac is delicious on their steak and chicken.

if i go to texas roadhouse or something, i get a steak, sweet potato and a salad. i don't ask for modifications because i hate to be "that" diner, and also because my best friend worked at a steakhouse and she laughed when i asked if cooks really make the modifications they've been asked for. i guess it all depends on the cook, and the quality of the restaurant.

I guess my point is that you don't have to make sacrifices.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry and at that time you have to eat out do it within the guidelines you have set for yourself. Perfection is darn near impossible (trust me i have tried). No need to not eat for the sake of fitting someone else's rules.

I think in a pinch a steaks, salad, and veggies are a good choice.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    We have some acquaintances coming this weekend and they usually like to go out to eat at times and I've been worried about this since I've only been eating this way for a week. This thread was super helpful though :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    Options

So since the topic is about where to eat out, where would YOU go for completely 100% paleo legal food (in a restaurant, not at home)? I think it would make sense to include your own suggestions instead of bashing everyone else's.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options

So since the topic is about where to eat out, where would YOU go for completely 100% paleo legal food (in a restaurant, not at home)? I think it would make sense to include your own suggestions instead of bashing everyone else's.

What's with the attitude? You all named things that weren't paleo, that's not my fault.

I thought I already did? I go to restaurants and order steak with no oil or butter, sweet potato with no butter, broccoli with no butter. If I go eat at le peep or a breakfast place, I order eggs mixed with onions and peppers and a side of fruit. If I have Italian, I order a grilled chicken breast in tomato sauce with artichoke hearts or side of veggies. If I eat Mexican I order a steak and grilled onions or a salad topped with ground beef and salsa/avocado as my dressing. La Madeleine has fresh strawberries and spinach salads, along with roasted chicken and veggies. At my favorite greek place, they have an egg and lemon soup without the rice, potatoes with olive oil, and shrimp in tomato sauce. It's quite easy though to order things without oil, you just have to ask. It makes a big difference. Even chickfila... just ask for a chicken breast cooked without butter or oil and a large fruit bowl. It's easy.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    There are no restaurants here where I live with "Paleo" menus ....I rarely eat out, but If I do, I look at the menu online if I can and see which entrees I can make paleo, usually its a salad with no croutons or dressing and protein added ,usually chicken breast, or steak and vegetables or salad. Its usually meat and veggies of some sort , just your choices are pretty limited I find, because everything is loaded with dairy, grains and sugar at restaurants :grumble:
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ....I rarely eat out, but If I do, I look at the menu online if I can and see which entrees I can make paleo,

Agree 100% - planning ahead and knowing what you are getting in to is the best thing you can do. ...and makign your choices ahead of time so the smell or appearance of something doesn't encourage you to make a snap decision you'll regret later.

I also 2nd, or 3rd the Chipotle suggestion - they use good quality meats and will customize any way you want. ...i didn't know about the soybean oil though.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    ....I rarely eat out, but If I do, I look at the menu online if I can and see which entrees I can make paleo,

I also 2nd, or 3rd the Chipotle suggestion - they use good quality meats and will customize any way you want. ...i didn't know about the soybean oil though.

The only meat they don't use soybean oil on are the carnitas.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

What's with the attitude? You all named things that weren't paleo, that's not my fault.

I thought I already did? I go to restaurants and order steak with no oil or butter, sweet potato with no butter, broccoli with no butter. If I go eat at le peep or a breakfast place, I order eggs mixed with onions and peppers and a side of fruit. If I have Italian, I order a grilled chicken breast in tomato sauce with artichoke hearts or side of veggies. If I eat Mexican I order a steak and grilled onions or a salad topped with ground beef and salsa/avocado as my dressing. La Madeleine has fresh strawberries and spinach salads, along with roasted chicken and veggies. At my favorite greek place, they have an egg and lemon soup without the rice, potatoes with olive oil, and shrimp in tomato sauce. It's quite easy though to order things without oil, you just have to ask. It makes a big difference. Even chickfila... just ask for a chicken breast cooked without butter or oil and a large fruit bowl. It's easy.

I would think even the things that aren't paleo that were named are still close enough to the guidelines. But I appreciate your suggestions you made as well. It sounds like it should be relatively easy to stick to it more or less.