I am 6 weeks out

Options
I am new to this group, I had my sleeve done on Dec 3, 6 weeks ago today. I have lost about 35 lbs since surgery, but 55 lbs since the start of optifast. I live in Ontario Canada. I have a 7 yr old son. I struggle with not drinking when I eat and my gout issues have increase because of the rapid weight loss and the protein intake, but other than that things seem to be going well. I have been getting all my protein in by food alone for the last 2 weeks, I really hate the shakes. My pain is gone, and i have started back to aquafit. I am having issues with making myfitnesspal work for my particular dietary needs, so if anyone knows how to do that please let me know. I have no friends here, so if anyone wants to add me and share experiences, I would love that :)

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You can customize MFP tracking. I did that because I need to get 70-80 grams of protein each day. It's in your settings. And then customize. Plese feel free to add me as a friend if you want. You are doing good for 6 weeks!!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your protein from food alone this soon, you are doing GREAT!! I am 10 weeks out today and don't hardly get that much from my foods, I still do the shakes but I like them so it's all good. :) Sounds like you're doing good. You can customize the settings for your needs.
  • IamTeresa
    Options
    I hate the shakes lol I just can't do them, I have found that tuna, eggs and chicken breast is easiest way to get it all in. 60 grams of protein is my min goal, but nutritionist said 80-90 is better. As long as I get 60, I am happy
  • mom2noah25
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!! Doing good. I also can't stand the protein shakes so I use the powder in my coffee instead of creamer. I have to have at least 1 scoop but most days 2 scoops just to be able to get in my protein. I like to stay over 80 grams and can only eat enough to intake on average 50ish in food. You can mix protein powder in sf pudding, greek yogurt stuff like that or unflavored powder in soups or cottage cheese or eggs. I found the closer to 80 g of protein I stayed the more even my weight loss has been. Good luck on your journey. You got a good start already!
  • scrapingd
    scrapingd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i hate the shakes, and I am struggling to get in enough, i am around 50 from food, and i KNOW that is not enough. Have you found a powder that doesn't taste? I wouldn't mind mixing it in yogurt etc, but I HATE the powders that are flavored they make me want to gag.. ty for any help
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I still struggle to get enough protein and water in and I'm a little over 8 weeks out. I like the protein shakes that I buy and I also eat protein bars. I like them both. I love MFP. I changed all of my goals to meet the numbers that I need. Sounds like you are doing great. The weight is coming off and you are getting you protein in. Keep up the good work!
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve on 12/10/2012, I still get some of my protein from shakes or unflavored in my water...But you are doing great!
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!
    I usually can pull off 60+ protein from food if I plan it just right. I was doing it with chicken breast, cottage cheese, tilapia, and tuna. I started back on protein shakes in the morning because I have found that I have a hard time with food first thing in the morning. The shakes go down easier and settle better for that "first meal". I'm ok with that as pre-surgery that was kind of my routine anyways. I use a product I got at Walgreens called "1st Step", it's in a purple container. I get the french vanilla and mix it with water (I have mixed with milk before too and you get more protein that way) and enjoy it a lot. I usually add more liquid to my protein mixes as I like the watery consistency better than the thick shake consistency. So, for example, if it calls to mix with 8 oz of liquid, I mix with 12-16 oz. Keep up the great work!