2nd Midweek check

Options
MarlaStuck
MarlaStuck Posts: 143 Member
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. Still tweaking? I am. Remember this is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. If you don't like starting over, quit quitting, says it pretty well :smile:

Ok, curious where is everyone geographically located? and what type of exercise can you do now?

I'm in Dundee, Michigan it is COLD here, and I'm not a fan.

Outside the limit for me is dog walking when the wind isn't too tough for me. I walk inside at work, at home on treadmill, spin bike, bowl, and circuit training this time of year. I will be adding yoga and meditation back into my routine VERY soon.

How about you?

Replies

• lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I live in Sellersburg, IN, about 20 minutes from Louisville, KY, where I work. It is cold, but that doesn't matter, I love my gym and it's on my way home, so that is what is working for me now! Planet Fitness Rocks! If you have one in your area I highley recommend them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love: :love: :love: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • colliegirl50
    Options
    Lancaster, PA here! Right now it is cold again. We've been having major temperature swings this winter, just like last. Morning exercise is dog walking, 30 minutes if not raining or windy. (Dog and I hate both!) Afternoon session (after work) is anything from housecleaning to working out with a DVD or using the dreadmill. At work, I try to use the stairs as much as possible and try to get mini-walks in here and there.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    San Diego, California, where we have been having a very cold (for us!) couple of weeks. We've had a week or so where the high was in the mid 40's which is really unheard of for us.

I know, a lot of you are laughing your heads off, but our houses are not built for this, and we certainly don't have the wardrobes for it.

My main exercise is walking, with Tika, my black Lab. She doesn't mind the cold at all, but there have been a few days where it's been more than I want to face. One day I was planning on a four mile walk, but did two and a half miles instead, because I just couldn't deal with the cold breeze.

Today, things seem to be heading back to normal, the high should be mid 60's, so I'm doing the four mile walk today.
  • MarlaStuck
    Options
    San Diego, California, where we have been having a very cold (for us!) couple of weeks. We've had a week or so where the high was in the mid 40's which is really unheard of for us.

I know, a lot of you are laughing your heads off, but our houses are not built for this, and we certainly don't have the wardrobes for it.

My main exercise is walking, with Tika, my black Lab. She doesn't mind the cold at all, but there have been a few days where it's been more than I want to face. One day I was planning on a four mile walk, but did two and a half miles instead, because I just couldn't deal with the cold breeze.

Today, things seem to be heading back to normal, the high should be mid 60's, so I'm doing the four mile walk today.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Had to add those because you knew we were....I lived in Hawaii when I was in the Army so I can totally relate. Enjoy your walk. I'm going bowling tonight to check out my new shoes and ball (it's been at least ....12-15 years ) My baby black lab is having her big girl surgery today; so the boys and and will have to walk tonight too. Mine are Doc, Baloo, and Jasmyn. Love the name Tika.
  • colliegirl50
    Options
    I love San Diego! Been there once and I want to visit again. I'm not a "city gal" by any means.......so a city must be very special for me to actually like it. Love Balboa Park and the Zoo. :happy:
  • JessicaLynnDouglas
    JessicaLynnDouglas Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada: Greater Toroto Area of Ontario. I have dealt with anywhere between -13 to + 13 C within the last week! It's pretty crazy; the warmer side is abnormal for this time of the year. The average has been around -3C the past couple of days, which it could be way worse! I won't hope for better right now because if it happens, it's only temporary for January.

I have continued on with my current routine in place because I'm not making an adjustment to weather when nothing is stable at this time of the year.

I have been working with home workout videos; TurboJam...kick-boxing, strength training and abdominal workout. Along with a circuit of exercise on different machine at the gym; tred-mill (running & walking backward), stairs (not the stepper), stationary bike, elliptical (forward and backward). I get board if I am on one machine for too long, and it's actually more beneficial to change it up. I would run outside, but with all the cold's and flue's this year, I don't want to risk anything and won't run in weather colder than 0 C...usually I will as low as -5C before worrying about getting sick (I do dress accordingly...although I will eventually dress in "hard-core" runner gear for the elements). Snow doesn't seem to be an issue this year :-) ... so far, it's only January!
  • jeme3
    Options
    I love San Diego! Been there once and I want to visit again. I'm not a "city gal" by any means.......so a city must be very special for me to actually like it. Love Balboa Park and the Zoo. :happy:

I work at the Zoo!

I'm a bus driver/tour guide.

And yes, it is an awesome job and an awesome place to work.
  • jeme3
    Options
    I'm doing the four mile walk today.

Confession time... I only walked three miles.

Just wasn't feeling the four miler today.
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am from the northern part of Wisconsin. We have been spoiled here lately with an average of around 10 degrees. Next week we have highs in the single digits, so all outside stuff will be done this weekend :-)

The YMCA is on my way home, and that is where my "fitness family" is. I love them all dearly, and I miss them when I dont go. I had a knee surgery the beginning of Dec. so I am mostly doing Yoga and walking the track for excersize right now. Hoping to move back up to strength class a couple days a week soon.

Thank you all for posting. I love reading the posts when I can.
  • Buglindsey1979
    Buglindsey1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am in northern Montana and it stays cold. I have been doing the Wii in the evenings. My three year old will do Just Dance and the Wii Fit with me. He is quite the little dancer. I tried the Jillian game tonight and it kicked my toosh. I will need to ease into that. Thankfully I have been changing things up and keeping up with my water. I have found that I now crave it. I feel parched without a full bottle next to me at work. I have even replaced my nightly beer with a Coke Zero. It is strange how that now feels like a treat.

It has been fun reading posts and hearing about everyone's successes. Keep it up!

Lindsey
  • laura920
    Options
    Hi all,

Wow, we really have some cold weather members in our group! I am not envious!

I live in Kennett Square, PA (Southeastern PA) 45 mins south and west of Philadelphia. Temps haven't been too bad for us but they are fluctuating; lows in the 30s and highs up to almost 60s. ( I see a common thread), if it isn't raining or to windy I take the dogs out for their walks.

I have been slacking workouts :cry: but when I have the workout motivation I have the Nike+ Trainer for xbox kinect, Zumba for xbox kinect, walk away the pounds dvds and TurboJam & TurboFire dvds. I also got a stability ball for Christmas. Plan to start couch to 5k so I can be ready for the color run in Philly in July.

Laura
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Looks like you're the only warm weather girl (as soon as the temps get back to normal out there)! I can't wait to see if the rest of our groups responds. It's fun to see where everyone is!
  • JessicaLynnDouglas
    JessicaLynnDouglas Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi all,h

I live in Kennett Square, PA (Southeastern PA) 45 mins south and west of Philadelphia. Temps haven't been too bad for us but they are fluctuating; lows in the 30s and highs up to almost 60s. ( I see a common thread), if it isn't raining or to windy I take the dogs out for their walks.

I have been slacking workouts :cry: but when I have the workout motivation I have the Nike+ Trainer for xbox kinect, Zumba for xbox kinect, walk away the pounds dvds and TurboJam & TurboFire dvds. I also got a stability ball for Christmas. Plan to start couch to 5k so I can be ready for the color run in Philly in July.

Laura

See how this "quote" things works for me lol

Laura,

What difference(s) do you notice between the TurboJam and TurboFire videos?
    I really enjoy the TurboJam; you have peeked my intrest! :-)

Jess
  • Nancysdiettips
    Nancysdiettips Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in Midwestern Ontario, Canada, so I know what cold temperatures are about. That is why my treadmill is my BFF.

This week the exercise part of my plan has been non existant. The nasty flu bug found me and has had me down for 5 days.

As far as my eating plan, I have no problem because I have not appetite.

Can't wait to feel up to the treadmill !!!!!!!!
  • MarlaStuck
    Options
    I live in Midwestern Ontario, Canada, so I know what cold temperatures are about. That is why my treadmill is my BFF.

This week the exercise part of my plan has been non existant. The nasty flu bug found me and has had me down for 5 days.

As far as my eating plan, I have no problem because I have not appetite.

Can't wait to feel up to the treadmill !!!!!!!!
    Nancy,
    Oh that nasty flu...it is everywhere. Be very careful it is very serious strain. Feel better soon and walk with your BFF in your happy place. :wink:
    Marla
  • MarlaStuck
    Options
    Hi all,

Laura
    Laura,
    You will LOVE the couch to 5k, or at least I did. When I got out of the Army I promised myself I would not run again unless I was being shot at...it really did a number on my knees, but I must at admit the couch to 5k made me feel as if I could do it again without bullets. I want to run a 5k in the spring with my dogs. I just can't do cold weather (I was born and raised in Michigan, but I must admit heat heat heat works for me). Going to Florida again in February and this time I'm taking my three dogs...I will try to do a small run with them to check our ability. I have one that needs to run (My baby Baloo). Tell me what a color run is, I hear that term a lot.
    Marla
  • MarlaStuck
    Options
    Hello,

I am in northern Montana and it stays cold. I have been doing the Wii in the evenings. My three year old will do Just Dance and the Wii Fit with me. He is quite the little dancer. I tried the Jillian game tonight and it kicked my toosh. I will need to ease into that. Thankfully I have been changing things up and keeping up with my water. I have found that I now crave it. I feel parched without a full bottle next to me at work. I have even replaced my nightly beer with a Coke Zero. It is strange how that now feels like a treat.

It has been fun reading posts and hearing about everyone's successes. Keep it up!

Lindsey
    Lindsey,
    Which Just Dance do you have? I am NOT coordinated and don't know that I could do it.
    Marla