Feeling frustrated- Help!

Options
alabelle1
alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
HI there-
I am really down on myself today, and actually have been. My weight loss story is long, but to make it short I have been doing primal, for about a yr, with a few slip ups during that time. But as a rule i eat like that. I have also been an avid exerciser, at least 6 days if not 7 a week.
Last month i started adding strength training- 3 days upper 2 days legs
then i do boot camp class 3 days a week
I am so frustrated, cause my weight is climbing and my measurements seem to be going up!
I don't know what i am doing wrong... I am trying to stay under 50 carbs to actually budge the weight and add high protein, but i am not seeing the results others are.
I feel so frustrated to put in so much effort and not see any results...
I know its harder for woman to loose, but i see a lot of ladies on here doing awesome...
Please any advise would help!
Thanks!!

Replies

• ajwolters
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public?
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    lots of protien and weight training? Can you say muscle? take measurements and dont let the scale be the judge and jury. your probably just filling out with muscle...rock it!!!
  • Nu_Primal_Me
    Nu_Primal_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As the people above have said, if you can share your food diary, someone may be able to point a few things out that may benefit from some tweaking. Also, you could be experiencing some real muscle growth.

The other thing I would add is the need for rest. It sounds like you are exercising a lot and I wonder, what are your sleeping patterns? What does a rest day/time look like for you? I have experienced myself, some stubborn scale situations and when someone pointed out to me that my body wasn't going to work it's best until I really took a look at giving it some down time to heal and repair itself, I made a change...and within a week, the scale started to move again...just food for thought...
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    What is your body composition like?

Can't really go by weight, to be honest. A 140lb woman with a 20% BF is going to look drastically different from a 140lb woman with 35% BF. As the old adage goes, "muscle weighs more than fat."
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    When I changed to this lifestyle, I was blown away that all my health problems were resolved. The weight loss, to me, is just a great side effect of my good health. That's what I focus on. Even if I didn't lose one more pound, I would not stop my primal/paleo journey. No way. Of course, if I didn't lose weight, I might consider making some further changes. However, it's 99% just about health for me. So, I am NEVER disappointed with my progress. I feel amazing.

Changing, or intensifying, a fitness routine can certainly affect what the scale says. Muscle does weigh more, by VOLUME. If the scale is discouraging you, you might need to change your focus away from that number. Perhaps don't weigh for a month. Focus more on how you FEEL.

Also, I eat a very high fat diet and my weight loss is quite quick and steady. My other MFP friends that eat a lot of fat (often 80%) are having the same experience. As others have said, if your diary isn't open we can't really offer much helpful advice on food.
  • girliegrrrl
    girliegrrrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This might sound odd but are you eating enough calories? If you are working out so intensely (and GO YOU!) you might not be fueling your body enough so it thinks that it needs to hold on to fat because its starving.

I just had a friend break a plateau by upping her calorie intake and now she is losing steadily again.

Just a thought....
  • alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I made my diary public, but i hadn't tracked for a few days so i am back on track again...
    I have just been doing a very short leg workout Tue and Thurs and no cardio-
    which feels like no workout so i was thinking they could be my "rest days"but i
    am feeling guilty about that, not so some sort of sweat..?
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    First off, I have to say your diary is one of the better ones I've seen. So, that's a good start.

I would drop whatever that is you're eating that's two scoops of something.

You could try cutting dairy for a month and see how that goes. There's a fair number of people that don't straight-up have a bad reaction to dairy, but do find they're more puffy when they eat it.

However, I think there's one or two more likely things going on.

Nu_Primal_Me is right on about possible muscle addition. Weight training is good. Muscle is good. Also helps avoid the dreaded brittle bones as one ages.

And as girliegrrrl pointed out, I find it HIGHLY unlikely ... OK, nevermind that. I can say flat-out that you are not eating enough calories. Not for that crazy level of work output. Back it down to strength training twice, MAYBE three times a week if you completely dump cardio.

Again as Nu_Primal_Me said, make sure your sleep is solid in quality and duration. Dial it back and you'll feel better. The guilt thing goes away eventually. I ran six days a week way back in the olden days on top of crazy amounts of strenuous training.

Finish up with Akimajuktuq, hitting the nail on the head.

And concentrate on fat over protein.