Exercises to Minimize Chest

Options
savethecat
savethecat Posts: 290 Member
I've been gathering information on the type of exercises that can be done to minimize a female chest. Most of what I have found so far is exercises meant to expand the back therefore creating the illusion of a smaller chest. Such as, rows, military presses, and arnold presses.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice that may be helpful?

Thanks!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I went from ALWAYS being a 32 or 34D or DD, my entire life, to gaining weight into a 36D, then back to a 34DD when I lost and then -- after lifting and getting closer to goal weight, I ended up a 36C.

So yep. Pendlay rows (fantastic back exercise although tricky to get the hang of), overhead presses (also called military presses) and bench press. Basically build up your back and pecs.

I'd recommend you do a whole body program though, or you'll end up looking unbalanced. Check out stronglifts or starting strength for a beginner template to do for the first few months.
  • tameko2
    Options
    oha nd also - I see you have 30 more pounds to lose? You don't really know yet what your natural size will be. you could lose a whole additional cup size, or two, just from losing lbs.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. I'm certainly going to focus on losing those last 30 while incorporating the lifting but I won't make it my main objective until I reach my goal weight. Perhaps they will continue to minimize on their own. So far I've gone from a 40G to a 36DDD. I'll also look into a full program. Thanks for the advice!
  • lorena403
    Options
    I would also suggest not shying away from chest exercises. While this might seem counter-intuitive (building/gaining muscle in an area you want to appear smaller), in my experience, doing chest press (incline and decline) and chest flies has toned my chest area. When I'm losing weight and doing chest exercises, my chest disappears. It definitely depends on the individual and how they build muscle, but for female-bodied persons, it is really difficult to gain a lot of muscle mass, so appearing larger as a result of doing chest exercises should not be a concern.
    And just on a self-perception note, when my chest muscles are sore from a good workout, I feel stronger and fee like my chest is smaller... so there's always that. Because you've lost so much weight towards your goal(congrats), feeling toned and sculpted in this area as a result of a good workout will probably feel good; not to mention it will work to sculpt a previously large chest into toned pecs.
  • tameko2
    Options
    That's a good point. I'm certainly going to focus on losing those last 30 while incorporating the lifting but I won't make it my main objective until I reach my goal weight. Perhaps they will continue to minimize on their own. So far I've gone from a 40G to a 36DDD. I'll also look into a full program. Thanks for the advice!

Do the lifting program now though, no reason not to start. It takes a couple months to even build up a good platform of strength so you might as well get rolling. I think given that you've shown you already lose there, you 'll probably drop another size or two Beyond that, like lorena said, there's no way to really guarantee a result since a lot of it depends on genetics but it will make everything feel firmer and less jiggly and that helps too, especially from a comfort perspective .
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Late to the party, but developing your shoulders/traps can also help minimize the appearance of your chest. So overhead presses are a good way to go!
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Working my shoulders and arms makes my chest look smaller, and my natural waist shrinking makes it look bigger, but I'm pretty evenly proportioned up and down so I have to watch it. Chest is the first place to show weight loss (and gain) for my body though.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky so far - fat seems to want to come off my chest more than anyplace else. I've gone from a DD to a B. Problem is now my chest is looking kinda scrawny/bony :grumble: (Like, seriously, body, you COULD start working on the hips too, yes? :angry: ) I've started doing pushups regularly and I plan to add compound weight training in March, hopefully that'll round things out in a more flattering way.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky so far - fat seems to want to come off my chest more than anyplace else. I've gone from a DD to a B. Problem is now my chest is looking kinda scrawny/bony :grumble: (Like, seriously, body, you COULD start working on the hips too, yes? :angry: ) I've started doing pushups regularly and I plan to add compound weight training in March, hopefully that'll round things out in a more flattering way.

Push ups and any chest exercises will round them out (and perk them up). While I hardly lost anything in the chest area (genetics), push ups have made a huge difference in how they look. Especially since I'm over 40 and they need all the support they can get.:grumble:
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Weight training in general is awesome, and for hips, do squats! There's no way to get fat off one particular area, but squats will tighten up your butt and hips, and they're a great exercise to boot.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I definitely plan to have squats in the rotation. :bigsmile: