Double Unders

Options
kelr0110
kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
So I know this probably comes easy to some people, but if I would have been able to do double unders I would have had my first Rx today. I can own singles, but the double is eluding me - I can do like....one. Granted I've only been attending CrossFit for a month now, but this seems like it is going to be most frustrating.

Do they come easy to you? Or do you have a tip that would help out? I imagine it would come eventually with just practice. A new guy today has never jumped rope in his life so he couldn't even do singles.....we all start somewhere I suppose :)

Thanks

Replies

• Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are people in our box that just take to them soooo easily. I wanna kick 'em in the guts :mad: I can do 20 unbroken on a good day...a VERY good day. It's definitely a skill to develop. I've been at this about 9 mos. and I feel like I'm just barely getting the rhythm. They are murder on my shins. I would much rather do 3x the amount of singles.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    I am with you - singles are so easy. But I really struggle with double unders. I have gotten up to 4. Whoo Hoo! I have found that the rope makes a huge difference. The cords spin faster, therefore, I can get the double under better with these type of jump ropes.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Been doing CrossFit for over a year but can't do DUs. But I don't work on them enough either. I just get too frustrated and give up. Can do singles easily though.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get them, here's a few tips i learned:

It's mostly in the wrist, find a comfortable position and keep your elbows near your torso, you may have a tendency to move them out.

find a spot on the wall eye level and keep your eyes fixed there.

start with singles but jump higher as if you were doing doubles and a slowish pace. (don't start donkey kicking or pike'ing)

relax and breathe (i would hold my breath when i started believe it or not)

when you got a few of those slow high jumping singles, try a double, then singles until you have your rhythm back then double again.

hope that helps some.

-Dan
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    One, thats it. I suck at it. Singles all day though. I would love to compete one day but its a long journey. Still got to get the OHS down.
  • kelr0110
    Options
    It took me awhile to get them, here's a few tips i learned:

It's mostly in the wrist, find a comfortable position and keep your elbows near your torso, you may have a tendency to move them out.

find a spot on the wall eye level and keep your eyes fixed there.

start with singles but jump higher as if you were doing doubles and a slowish pace. (don't start donkey kicking or pike'ing)

relax and breathe (i would hold my breath when i started believe it or not)

when you got a few of those slow high jumping singles, try a double, then singles until you have your rhythm back then double again.

hope that helps some.

-Dan

awesome awesome awesome - thank you - will try this tomorrow. ive been trying to practice a little bit each time after i initially warmup and waiting for everyone to setup. hopefully i can get it soon - i can be ridiculous competitive so it drives me nuts to not be able to do something lol

Thanks and glad to see I'm not the only one in this double under boat lol
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    there is no way on this great green earth I could do double unders.. at least not for awhile. I did however do 600 jump ropes today. Not bad considering I havent picked up a jump rope since middle school lol
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I learned DU's back in elementary school, so it didn't take me long to pick them back up again. I really need my own rope! It is definitely a rhythm. What I see most of the time from people struggling is they are jumping too high or trying to bend their knees as they jump. I would watch someone at your box that does them really well and watch for how they jump and their wrist action.

It definitely takes time and practice. Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hard for me. i essential need to unlearn 35 years of jump rope coordination since the secret of double unders seems to be timing the jumps with the turns. at the moment, i'm used to jumping when the rope reaches overhead. for double unders i'd have to jump when the rope has already past overhead but not quite midway to the ground..

i'd rather do double dutch :laugh:
  • kelr0110
    Options
    I learned DU's back in elementary school, so it didn't take me long to pick them back up again. I really need my own rope! It is definitely a rhythm. What I see most of the time from people struggling is they are jumping too high or trying to bend their knees as they jump. I would watch someone at your box that does them really well and watch for how they jump and their wrist action.

It definitely takes time and practice. Good luck!

hahaa thanks - youre lucky you have past experience with them! I was working on it a little today with some of the tips and tricks - i will be elated when i get them finally :)
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got for doubleunders was when my coach told me its more about the wrist than the feet/jump. After that - it just clicked. You really dont have to jump any higher to get the rope to pass twice underneath you - you just have to spin the rope faster (if that makes sense). Other than that, keep your elbows in and relax...Although I'm not perfect at them - I find they come a LOT easier when I stop thinking about it.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I, too, struggle with the DUs. I'm just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a rope? My box doesn't appear to have the proper length rope for me, as I'm almost 6 feet (not that that's really tall compared to some men, but still).

Any suggestions?? Thanks!!
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    It took a bit - but I started by spending 5-10 mins AFTER every WOD - I kinda figured if I can start getting them after I'm tired from a wod, I can get more during a wod.
  • kelr0110
    Options
    Yes I've been practicing as well - i can still only get one done ergh.

I stayed after everyone left the other day and it just so happened that two guys from the endurance team were there and had to do them. I think it helped me just watching them....gonna keep practicing!
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like the adjustable Rogue ones. You can really whip them around. Of course they leave a wicked welt
  • kelr0110
    Options
    I like the adjustable Rogue ones. You can really whip them around. Of course they leave a wicked welt

so maybe i should get one of those - then it will make me learn them pretty damn quickly lol
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh double unders, I even bought my own rope from AgainFaster, I found once I could do one DU I would then do 2 single skips, then another DU, once I could do this for a while, then I would try and get the DU's still only on about 20, but then I get excited and end up with welt marks all over my butt and legs! Have been told it does come.

I was also shown this link. Hope it helps. x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XjUbUpeHE

Chris Spealler is just amazing x
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Yes, When I attempt them I have made some pretty bad lashing marks on my back end!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I brought a speed rope through my box and they definately make the DU easier - and while I haven't quite 'mastered' them yet, I find that lifting my feet up just a fraction higher than when doing singles I don't trip up as often - I think in the case of DU its practice, practice practice!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The most I have strung together is 2 but I can't do them consistently. I need to keep practicing...when we have double unders in our WODs, the modification at our box is 5x single unders. If only I could crank out the doubles....some day, hopefully!