So does anyone lose weight doing this?

Options
LilMissTalyn
LilMissTalyn Posts: 106 Member
I just noticed I don't see much about weight loss, and since that is a goal, i was wondering if you could post how much you lost while on the C25K program? Thanks! I'm starting this weekend!

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im down 1.5kilos Im in week two. Not sure if its all down to couch 2 5k as I have made some changes to my diet. I purchased food scales two weeks ago and its been valuable in terms of my food portions and what I was eating before I got the scales, Quite a shock
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am trying to maintain my weight and have been eating a lot more than usual during this program (along with strength/cardio intervals on the off days). I'm in week 8 and lost 2 lbs so far even with the increased calories. I'm sure I would lose much more if I wasn't eating back most of my exercise calories. So it can be done! I think the key is doing other things besides the running.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly diet. I exercise so I can eat more and of course for fitness. I tried C25K last year and gave up. I just started again last night.
  • bharris71
    bharris71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been running/walking on and off for te past 2 years. When I stick to my routine of diet and exercise then I lose weight. Unfortnetly, I have not stuck to it through these last several months and have gained everything back that I have lost so now I am back to square one. You definetly have to add diet into the equation or you won't lose anything.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on October 15 and I started the C25K program on October 22. I finished before Christmas I can attribute most of my 30 pound loss to this program. I have lost before while dieting but never at this rate and my body is changing. My hips are much smaller than before at this weight and my butt is lifting for sure, in fact my husband mentions it at least twice a week :blushing:

I have tried this before and didn't complete it but not only did I complete it this time I have moved on to bridge to 10K. I am 47 yrs old and can finally say I am a runner!

Many, many,many thanks to the folks at bluefin for their most amazing apps!
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    While many have lost weight while completing this plan, that is not the direct intent.

The goal is to get off the couch and get moving. There are significant health benefits from just moving on a regular basis. As others have said, diet and exercise together can help lose weight.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight loss is more attributed to diet than to the C25k or any exercise. Exercise is important and does help and the improvement in overall health is also a benefit. Over the course of the eight weeks I did the C25k my weight dropped 20 pounds.
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 7 and I've lost just a pound or two, but I can definitely tell the difference in the tone of my arms and legs. I haven't been cutting back on what I eat and am probably eating a bit more. Now that I am really feeling better and getting into the routine of running, I'm going to start paying more attention to my diet. Diet and Exercise is the only way to lose weight.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I run to be zombie proof. Weight's coming off with sensible diet and lifestyle. I also do P90x.
    Before I was just running, I averaged about 1-2 pounds a week.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm not running to lose weight at this point. I have dropped a few pounds since starting and completing the program though. I've also dropped my body fat % which is great.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Just finished week 8 on Saturday which is also the day I weigh in every week. Down 2 lbs since starting C25K and also down 2% body fat (currently at 16%). I've been eating quite a bit and being very bad on the weekends (I don't even track calories on weekends). Trying to maintain my weight is definitely a challenge!
  • Philllbis
    Options
    Just finished week 8 on Saturday which is also the day I weigh in every week. Down 2 lbs since starting C25K and also down 2% body fat (currently at 16%). I've been eating quite a bit and being very bad on the weekends (I don't even track calories on weekends). Trying to maintain my weight is definitely a challenge!

Great job! I think diet is the biggest factor in weight loss. Calories in vs. Calories out etc. The C25K program like any type of cardio can help with weight loss if that's your goal.

I previously lost 98lbs by a combo of diet, strenght training and cardio. I run now mainly for fitness but I have noticed that my abs show more and I've actually had to tighten my belt a notch since completing the program.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Great job! I think diet is the biggest factor in weight loss. Calories in vs. Calories out etc. The C25K program like any type of cardio can help with weight loss if that's your goal.

I previously lost 98lbs by a combo of diet, strenght training and cardio. I run now mainly for fitness but I have noticed that my abs show more and I've actually had to tighten my belt a notch since completing the program.

Well, I'm actually trying not to lose weight. A couple of years ago I lost 30 lbs and last year gained close to 5 lbs back while dropping body fat. So now I use this site mainly to make sure I eat enough, but not too much. Hopefully this year I can continue to put on a little muscle, drop a little fat, and run a little farther.

Congrats on your weight loss - that's a lot!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I lost about 18lbs during the C25K, but that was due to the dietary deficit I maintained. I didn't run to lose weight - I ran to be healthier. I cut cals to lose weight.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you are in the obese or overweight range of your height, then you will lose weight as long as you stick to your calorie counting alongside of it. But you won't lose much weight by doing this alone. I have also noticed a lot of toning, but I do P90X alongside this.
  • Philllbis
    Options

Well, I'm actually trying not to lose weight. A couple of years ago I lost 30 lbs and last year gained close to 5 lbs back while dropping body fat. So now I use this site mainly to make sure I eat enough, but not too much. Hopefully this year I can continue to put on a little muscle, drop a little fat, and run a little farther.

Congrats on your weight loss - that's a lot!

Thanks! My goal is the same as yours now. I want to maintian my weight and drop some fat and to be able to run farther and faster. I also bicycle so I'm looking to improve in that area too.
  • BeckyAndie
    BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this program for weight loss. I thought that with good diet discipline and a new walking/jogging program the weight would just fall off, but it hasn't. I've maintained, but not lost. Granted, I'm only 1 week in so it may be too soon to tell.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I'm doing this program for weight loss. I thought that with good diet discipline and a new walking/jogging program the weight would just fall off, but it hasn't. I've maintained, but not lost. Granted, I'm only 1 week in so it may be too soon to tell.

Yeah, maybe a little soon for any results. Do some strength training on the non-running days.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1 week is too soon to tell but I also wanted to say that you should take measurements rather than relying only on the scale. Whilst I was doing C25k my weight loss stalled a little which I think might have been something to do with building muscle, but my measurements decreased so I was happy.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im in week three and lost 1.5 kilos or 3 pounds so far.