Homemade Energy Gel

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
Is anyone making their own homemade energy gels? I found a couple recipes, with or without extra protein. I'm looking for one that has caffeine in it - thinking of adding ground espresso beans?

Also, how are you packing these with you? Looks like Hammer Gel sells a flask set for 5oz. This would be more than enough for me?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I buy, but I sometimes workout with a guy who was an Olympic race walker back in the late 70s. He says all he ever used was defizzed Pepsi, essentially sugar water
  • twojcik73
    Options
    Speaking of energy gel. I have been very curious...I am just not getting to distances where I need to consider some "in run" fuel. What is the deal with Gels? At what distance should I start using a gel....how much...how often....don't have the first clue. Any insight would be helpful!
  • AmandaTheNewMe
    AmandaTheNewMe Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Speaking of energy gel. I have been very curious...I am just not getting to distances where I need to consider some "in run" fuel. What is the deal with Gels? At what distance should I start using a gel....how much...how often....don't have the first clue. Any insight would be helpful!

same here
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions on gels so here is mine . :) I personally only use gels (actually I prefer beans or blocks, but same thing) for a marathon, anything shorter is just sports drink. SOme of how much you need and when is science but most is trial. If you are reasonably carbo loaded before the race you probably have enough fuel in your muscles for the first 20 miles or so. This is where the "wall" comes in for people, but again a lot of variables. Gels should be tken with water, not a sports drink, so I have mine just before a water stop (or just after).
  • mlb929
    Options

I use them on runs lasting more than an hour. My diet is relatively lower carb to begin with and I don't do the carb loading thing. So if I run 10 miles - I use it at mile 6 and I run a 9:00ish MPM. I use water only, as I don't like the sports drinks. I find I choke on beans or blocks and don't want something to chew. I personally like caffeine rather than carbs if I can get them - like coffee in my tank instead of water. Just personal preference. A few months ago one of the running magazine had a interesting list of what gel/honey/bar etc to use and when was best. I personally like to keep things more natural and use dried fruits, honey, peanut butter, etc, its just packing it that I'm trying to figure out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions on gels so here is mine . :) I personally only use gels (actually I prefer beans or blocks, but same thing) for a marathon, anything shorter is just sports drink. SOme of how much you need and when is science but most is trial. If you are reasonably carbo loaded before the race you probably have enough fuel in your muscles for the first 20 miles or so. This is where the "wall" comes in for people, but again a lot of variables. Gels should be tken with water, not a sports drink, so I have mine just before a water stop (or just after).

I agree with this and I use the sport beans as well bc frankly gels are gross to me. I have only used them for my 1/2 and on runs that will be close to 90 mins. I have found to be successful with carb loading however I am very hypoglycemic. Any runs close to that time with nothing to spike me midway or towards the end, I have a horrible, debilitating crash that leaves me down for the rest of the day bc I can't stabilize my blood sugars correctly.
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in close agreement to everyone so far. Gels are not needed for a HM if you're properly fueled to begin with. I do eat during HMs but more for entertainment; to break the boredom. It's fun to eat some cookies or M&Ms or whatever unexpected food is offered at the aid stations.

I do agree that some gels are gross (the watery gels feel like someone spit in my mouth) but the thicker gels are ok (taste like cake icing to me - yum). Even thicker are the beans and blocks but sometimes those feel too thick and hard to swallow - I'm too tired to chew them properly.

As far as making your own gels, that just seems weird. After all, the whole point of gels is for convenience - doesn't making them and dealing with the wrapper or bottle undercut that convenience? Give me a cookie instead, any day!
  • mlb929
    Options
    Lol Malinator, I have to giggle a little. I'm WAY too germaphoebic to ever take cookies or any opened item at the aid stations. I thought the "oreo speedwagon" at one race was way too cute, but the idea of germs from other racers was just too much for me :) But I also workout at home cuz of the whole germ thing too. It's difficult to keep up with.