New to CLX

Options
Hi! I just started CLX this week. I did Burn 2 for the first time last night. I'm pretty sure I pushed myself to fatigue as I burst into tears at the end! I felt so spent! :laugh:

I think the biggest thing I struggled with last night were the dead lift moves. My back was really aching/burning part of the way through, and I don't know if it's because I was too tense trying to focus on my form (keeping that back flat and tailbone out!) or if my weights might have been too heavy. Has anyone else experience that and, if so, what did you find was your solution?

Replies

• tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi! You should really feel the dead lifts in your hamstrings. Maybe you went too heavy?
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ^^^^agree, should be feeling in your hammies, so I think maybe its too heavy as well. You may not be as flexible in your back either so don't go as deep. Work into it slowly, you'll get better & more flexible
  • pensgal
    pensgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on those 11 lbs!! I just started CLX too. Ive had some back issues (sciatic nerve!!Grrr) recently and also notice a stiff back but not a hurting back. Its great to remember to keep your stomach muscles pulled in to support your back. I'd try lowering the weights a bit. You dont want to frustrate yourself!!! Keep up the good work!
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have also felt that lower back burn once and a while and I have to remind myself to focus on digging my heels into the ground. I know its so much to remember... abs in, back flat, legs straight... but remembering the bulk of the weight on your heels also helps. My hammies have felt much leaner and my back much better ever since.

I don't use a ton of weight on the dead lifts anyways... I use bands and even though I'm using the "heavy" ones - they are not pulled very taught and on the deadlift they aren't being used at all, b/c there isn't any tension... you should STILL feel the muscles working in your hamstrings without any weight at all.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I almost sold my Chalean Extreme set on eBay because of all of the bent over moves that were killing my back! I agree, cut back on weight if you need to. I have found that I need to intently focus on my form during those moves and take a break if I need to.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    Thanks, all -- I think you're right....I think I went too heavy. I'm starting week 2 tonight and because I'm trying to shift my workout days so that my rest days fall differently, I'll be doing Burn 2 tonight. I think that was the one that introduced the dead lifts, so I'll be more vigilant!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I decreased the weight I was using for dead lift rows in Burn 2 last night, but I still felt the burn/fatigue in my lower back after 4-5 reps and not in my legs or upper back where the row is focusing. It's not like a skeletal pain, it's definitely muscle fatigue. The problem is that I get that fatigue long before I get it in my upper back where the row is taking place. I feel like if I drop the weight any more then I won't be getting the full effect of the exercise.

Would y'all mind detailing for me how you successfully do this particular exercise? I'm not terribly flexible, so I'm not able to squat down very low with my tail pushed backwards yet. And I do notice that all of them are squatting at different heights and leaning forward at different angles. Maybe I'm going down too far to begin with for my flexibility...

Any further tips you can offer would be much appreciated!
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    For deadlifts try to make sure your back is flat and really push your butt out. My back does get slightly fatigued but I definitely feel the burn in the hammies when my back is flat, abs are in and butt is far back. I also find it helps to make sure your chest stays up so you aren't rounding your shoulders. That helps me feel the burn. Good luck!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    For deadlifts try to make sure your back is flat and really push your butt out. My back does get slightly fatigued but I definitely feel the burn in the hammies when my back is flat, abs are in and butt is far back. I also find it helps to make sure your chest stays up so you aren't rounding your shoulders. That helps me feel the burn. Good luck!

Maybe I should do them without weights (or with wimpy 3 lb-ers) until I know for sure I've got the form right. But that means that those back muscles won't really get worked at the same time. I suppose I could always pause the DVD and do a set of rows on their own! (I should change my username to "Overthinker".... :laugh: )
  • ashley11284
    ashley11284 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem.. My back feels so fatigued and my arms don't! My husband watches me and says i have good form.. i've been going with lighter weights and not bending down as far and really concentrating on keeping my back flat and my weight in my heels.. i hope with time my back will get stronger and it won't be soo bad.. i'm really beginning to hate that particular move.. lol
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I have been having the same problem.. My back feels so fatigued and my arms don't! My husband watches me and says i have good form.. i've been going with lighter weights and not bending down as far and really concentrating on keeping my back flat and my weight in my heels.. i hope with time my back will get stronger and it won't be soo bad.. i'm really beginning to hate that particular move.. lol

I googled this yesterday and found several blog hits mentioning this same thing, so we're not alone. One comment I found that sounded helpful was to imagine a steel rod in your back so it couldn't bend at all so that you have to bend at your hips and really focus on pushing yourself up with your heels and glutes and make sure we're not lifting up at the waist. For me, I think that's too hard to do holding weights in each hand, too, so I'm just going to have to practice and go really slowly to focus on my form and do the back rows separately for now.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Try to think "hinge" instead of "bend". You will get it :)
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What I do is bend with a flat back until I feel the stretch in my hamstrings... then try to focus on my hamstrings to pull myself up, keeping my back flat and abs in. I think it's a good idea to get the form down without weights or using light weights first, then move up. I love deadlifts! You'll get it!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Also very important - make sure you keep the weights close to your body. You should literally be running them down your legs (without actually touching your legs, of course!). If you have the weights further away from your body, you have become a weighted pendulum and have changed the load bearing point, which should be your glutes and ham strings. I don't know what size weight you are using, but drop it down slightly, pause your video and do your set very slowly, concentrating on flat back, tummy in tight (to stabiize your core) and make sure the weights are going up and down your legs without actually touching them. Don't try to touch your toes - just go down until you feel it in your hamstrings, then come back up slowly, again keeping the weights close to you. Let us know if that helps! :flowerforyou: