why can't I do this?

Options
RLDeShazo
RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
I was doing so well!! I started in may and as of the middle of December was down 58 pounds. But since then, I just can't seem to get going. I am under so much stress from other things. I KNOW that working out will help me feel better. I KNOW that eating better will help me feel better. And both will help me deal better with the stress. But I just can't seem to get myself in gear. It is almost like I am afraid of success, so I am making myself fail. So on top of all the other things, I have the added stress of being a failure and falling back into my old habits. I've gained 6 pounds in the past month. That is completely unacceptable!!! I just can't seem to do it anymore. :(

Replies

• johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Stress is an unfortunate part of life. And compound that with the holidays and it can make it a killer. Perhaps maybe you're pushing too hard. Maybe just try and focus on your food for a brief period of time and then get back to worrying about getting a workout in. Just take this challenge on the same way most of us started out this journey. One step at a time. Just go back to doing the little things and work back up to where you were a month ago.

Also do you have someone close to you that can provide support for you on the non-food issues that you're dealing with? I might just be worth looking into working with a professional therapist. If for no reason other than they would be an unbiased sounding board. They might also be able to help you figure out the root of your Stress = Food equation. Just another option. I know that it's probably not a popular but I know a lot of people that have had great success in talking to a professional to help them over the rough patches.

Regardless...Best of luck to you!
  • wyera
    wyera Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was doing so well!! I started in may and as of the middle of December was down 58 pounds. But since then, I just can't seem to get going. I am under so much stress from other things. I KNOW that working out will help me feel better. I KNOW that eating better will help me feel better. And both will help me deal better with the stress. But I just can't seem to get myself in gear. It is almost like I am afraid of success, so I am making myself fail. So on top of all the other things, I have the added stress of being a failure and falling back into my old habits. I've gained 6 pounds in the past month. That is completely unacceptable!!! I just can't seem to do it anymore. :(

Sometimes stress brings out the fear. I know I find it hard to not be afraid of succeeding with my weight loss. It would completely change me world to make my goal and stay there. Hitting any kind of milestone could be a trigger. I'd second johnm8703's comments and see if you can just focus on one aspect for a bit and then ease back into the other.

Good luck!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    RL these are some things that have been shared with me or I came across here on MFP that have helped me- I hope they can help you {{hugs}}} RaNae

"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bull**** story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it"- Jordan Belfort

"9) CUT ALL EXCUSES NOW. Nobody is trying to sabotage you. You're not a snowflake. There are ways to make time, work with a budget, deal with annoying spouses, etc. There is a workaround for every excuse except your bad attitude, so knock it off.

10) DON'T GIVE UP! everyone makes mistakes. No mistake is the end of the world. Just get up tomorrow, clean slate, and try to have a good day. There's no point in dwelling on the past or starving yourself or exercising like crazy the rest of the week, just move on. It will be OK. " mfp member MoreBean13
  • kaseynaves
    kaseynaves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I loved that kick in the but, Please I may read it over and over when need be, 383pds now from a 403 a week, Thanks you doll
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    You are only human! I think sometimes we put high expectations of ourselves out there! It's ok to gain weight! Just get back on the wagon and you will be ok!
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You are only human! I think sometimes we put high expectations of ourselves out there! It's ok to gain weight! Just get back on the wagon and you will be ok!

Thanks. I have gotten back on the wagon since writing the original post. Although between that time and getting going again, I did gain even more weight. I made some adjustments to my thinking, and am back on track. Not sure how much weight I have lost, as it has been almost a month since my last weigh in, but I know I feel better, and that is the important part.