first deadlift at the gym

Options
rieann84
rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
aaand, i think i definitely did it wrong! lol..how embarrassing. i probably should have watched the "how to" video BEFORE going out.

i was lifting from the floor with straight legs. first set - 55lbs, second set 85lbs.

how do you all do it? do you keep the bar somewhere off the floor on a rack, say about a foot off the ground? do you come down in a squat where you bend your knees? i'm not sure whats right.

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I lift from the floor with my back straight while leaning towards the bar and legs bent. As I stand to straighten my back and legs I bring the bar up slowly. When my legs are fully straight (and my back as well, so standing straight up) I sort of "pinch" (for lack of a better word) my shoulder blades together. I then go back down into the starting position. There are variations (Romanian?) where you don't go all of the way back to the floor.

The top of this page shows the proper way to do it:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

There are also a bunch of other videos if you do a google search.
  • rieann84
    Options
    thanks for that. yeah, i wasn't bending my legs. :\
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Exactly what is in LB2LL's link.

It took me a bit to get used to this one. LOL. Now I enjoy it.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I lift from the floor with my back straight while leaning towards the bar and legs bent. As I stand to straighten my back and legs I bring the bar up slowly. When my legs are fully straight (and my back as well, so standing straight up) I sort of "pinch" (for lack of a better word) my shoulder blades together. I then go back down into the starting position. There are variations (Romanian?) where you don't go all of the way back to the floor.

The top of this page shows the proper way to do it:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

There are also a bunch of other videos if you do a google search.

this was really helpful, thank you
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I like how it shows which muscles are working too.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Exactly what is in LB2LL's link.

It took me a bit to get used to this one. LOL. Now I enjoy it.

I hear you. I just recently started this program so I'm new at it. My biggest problem starting was having my back in the correct position. Now, 3 times later I've got it down. I like it.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    85 lbs? You're an inspiration. I'm exhausted at 60 lbs!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Please watch some youtube videos on proper form and make sure you're deadlifting with correct form before you increase your weights. I wasn't doing it right in the beginning and hurt my back. I was out for a few weeks waiting for it to heal. Now I'm very careful about deadlifting with correct form and making sure that I'm not pushing my weights to quickly. I'm probably the most conservative about increasing weights on deadlifts -- everything else I'll sacrifice form a bit to get to the next level.
  • rieann84
    Options
    85 lbs? You're an inspiration. I'm exhausted at 60 lbs!

LOL..well this was my second workout and i worked out like a wimp for the first one, so I wanted to challenge myself! I work in the restaurant industry, so I guess I have some experience picking stuff up like that ... beer kegs, cases of beer, racks of glasses, etc...

My back/shoulders definitely hurt today :\
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    That's a really good starting weight!
    I would also suggest looking at videos for the other exercises as you progress in the Stages. There were some that I tried going by the description of the book and realized (before I hurt myself, thankfully) that I was doing them wrong. I have to SEE it to know how to do it.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The authors made a serious omission when it comes to proper form. If you're not lifting at least 135 lbs. total (Olympic barbell plus two 45lb. plates), you shouldn't do regular barbell deadlifts, do Romanian deadlifts instead. Otherwise, the barbell is too close to the floor and you risk hyperextending your back.

Some gyms have training plates that are the same diameter as 45lb. plates but they're made of lighter material. Another alternative is to stack plates on both sides so the barbell is higher off the floor.

Here's a video showing proper form with very good instructions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump! :) I sometimes feel a bit self-conscious doing these..when the body builder meatheads are standing just a couple feet away. AH!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The authors made a serious omission when it comes to proper form. If you're not lifting at least 135 lbs. total (Olympic barbell plus two 45lb. plates), you shouldn't do regular barbell deadlifts, do Romanian deadlifts instead. Otherwise, the barbell is too close to the floor and you risk hyperextending your back.

Some gyms have training plates that are the same diameter as 45lb. plates but they're made of lighter material. Another alternative is to stack plates on both sides so the barbell is higher off the floor.

thanks for that clarification, i do see what I am doing wrong now.