Gluten Free

Options
So my New Year's resolution this year is to go gluten free. I don't yet know if I have Hashimoto's, but I do know that my weight is extremely touchy. This Christmas, I indulged in a lot of cookies and gluten rich foods and boy did I feel like garbage! And gained a lot of the 9 pounds I had lost :embarassed: (I have yet to log the weight gain, I'm hoping to get it off quickly!) Anyhoo, I've been seeing that a lot of people with thyroid disorders seem to do a lot better on GF diets and I figure the only harm I could do is feel reminicient as everyone enjoys a tasty piece of bread. Anyone else go GF? If so, where's a good place to find recipes? Does it make a difference in how you feel? Does it help with weight loss?

Replies

• artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you should make such an inquiry. Prior to pursuing a medical diagnosis for my symptoms, I explored a gluten free diet. It definitely helped me for a few weeks, but then the symptoms returned with a vengenance. Once I was diagnosed with non-Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, I stopped living a completely gluten free diet since it didn't help me longterm and it is a bit more expensive. However, that was just my experience. It did help for a few weeks when I wasn't even medicated. So, if you're willing to try it, it's definitely worth it. Let me know how it works for you.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    never hurts to try!

So if you have Hashi's, you are more prone to gluten issues?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    never hurts to try!

That's what it seems like. Celiac and Hashi's are both autoimmune diseases and it seems like those with Hashi's have a better time managing their symptoms. I figure if it doesn't work, the only thing that will happen is that I will try new foods! ; )
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    never hurts to try!

Hashi's and Celiac are both autoimmune issues, and autoimmune issues like to travel in "packs" - i.e. if you have one, you are more likely to have more.

As well, there seems to be a link between celiac and hashi's antibodies; that eating gluten can (for some people) stimulate antibodies and worsen hypothyroid (or worse, increase the hashi's swings). Eliminating gluten has been shown to reduce symptoms in many people, by reducing hashi's antibodies.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    made me sick as a dog. be careful.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I do not have the patience to even try to be gluten free, but I do feel better when I avoid refined carbs like white bread or white rice or regular pasta. I try to stick with whole grains instead. There is something about the way my body processes sugar and starches that really limit how much of that stuff I care to eat. I will eat whatever is around, but when it's a lot of starchy stuff, I try not to go overboard or less I'll feel tired afterward.

If I get more fiber and protein, I think it's easier for my body to process it.

It can't hurt to try something and see if it works.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I do not have the patience to even try to be gluten free, but I do feel better when I avoid refined carbs like white bread or white rice or regular pasta. I try to stick with whole grains instead. There is something about the way my body processes sugar and starches that really limit how much of that stuff I care to eat. I will eat whatever is around, but when it's a lot of starchy stuff, I try not to go overboard or less I'll feel tired afterward.

If I get more fiber and protein, I think it's easier for my body to process it.

It can't hurt to try something and see if it works.

Ditto for me. I try to watch my "white" intake, sugar, flour, rice, pasta. I do think I feel better when I limit my white food.

Try Quinoa. I noticed it is gluten free, and I like it. You make it just like rice. You can use your rice cooker if you have one. Then you use it in place of rice or pasta. Let me know what you think.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I was tested a few months back for Celiac, don't have it, just Hashi's. Might about doing something like this, but I really enjoy my whole grain/wheat bagel with PB that I've had every morning for the past couple years...I might go through some serious withdrawals ;)
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Going gluten-free definitely helped me. I did so before I was diagnosed with Hashi's on the advice of my daughter's nutritionist. I don't have celiac but she felt I wasn't absorbing nutrients like I should & that gluten was probably the cause. Back then there weren't very many products available, but now there are great pastas & breads. I try to limit my intake of carbs somewhat, but it's nice to know Tinkyada pasta and Udi's bread products are fairly easy to get if I need them. Van's makes a GF waffle that my non-GF husband & kids like better than the "regular" kind.

Also, labels are far more easy to read now. Do read them, as gluten (or wheat, barley, rye, etc.) can be found in stuff you'd never imagine. Good luck!
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have been gf/cf on and off for a few years. I currently am eating paleo for the weight loss and because my brain fog seems to be so much better when I am grain free. I was also tested for celiac via blood but the accuracy really isnt there so ai am going by how i feel and look. I can attest to the following:

When grain free and or Gluten free.... my brain fog is better, my skin(roceasa and acne) is better, my depression is better, and my energy is better!

So I am a firm believe that you should rely less on the science of testing in a medical sense and more on the power of diet and how you feel! In other words try it if you feel better.... stick with it and make it yours if you don't try something else :)

Ignore if typos I.'m on a tablet ..which is new to me!
  • pen2u
    Options
    IAABM, thanks for mentioning Paleo. I'm starting tomorrow hoping to quench lingering inflammation, clear my occasional brain fog and clear up some skin problems. I feel pretty good just cutting out gluten, but I want to feel 100% fabulous. I figure since I always felt great on South Beach level 1, a Paleo or Primal diet is what my body requires.
  • Qwiss
    Qwiss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've gone gluten free before although I don't like to. My husband and mother-in-law have celics so it's been pretty normal in my family for over 10 years to cook GF.

And I don't like to do it because the food is awful, it's just difficult to prepare. But it is good for Graves or Hashis to eat gluten free. There are lots of great and normal foods you can eat but you have to research it.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had a chiropractor who really listened about my thyroid condition suggest that I become gluten and dairy free. He is the only one that has listened as of now.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had a chiropractor who really listened about my thyroid condition suggest that I become gluten and dairy free. He is the only one that has listened as of now. It is so frustrating when doctors don't care or want to listen. Not even discuss using Armour. All I get is NO! There are no homeopathic/natural doctors in my area.
  • Kat9hunter
    Options
    I have found gluten free to be fairly easy. If you are gluten sensitive and you inflame your digestive track eating gluten you will have trouble absorbing nutrients, which leads to iron loss and without adequate iron your thyroid meds won't work. I have had itchy eyes my whole life that goes away when I don't have gluten. I also get morning crud in my eyes (so does my grandson, who is also gluten sensitive) so, I can tell when I have had gluten do to this. I was gluten sensitive my whole life and didn't know it. This led to low iron and low thyroid and low adrenal function. Kind of has a domino effect.

Kat
  • pen2u
    Options
    Update: It's been one & a half weeks since I started a Primal/Paleo plan (no grains at all.) My arthritis pain and digestive issues (bloat, etc.) are gone! I'm thrilled! I've lost a couple of pounds, too, and have a lot more energy w/o brain fog. I guess I'm sensitive to all grains, not just gluten, because cutting them out of my life has made a huge difference. Wish I'd done this years ago.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Update: It's been one & a half weeks since I started a Primal/Paleo plan (no grains at all.) My arthritis pain and digestive issues (bloat, etc.) are gone! I'm thrilled! I've lost a couple of pounds, too, and have a lot more energy w/o brain fog. I guess I'm sensitive to all grains, not just gluten, because cutting them out of my life has made a huge difference. Wish I'd done this years ago.

You should start taking pictures, and send your "success story" in to Mark's Daily Apple. :)
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    never hurts to try!

Hashi's and Celiac are both autoimmune issues, and autoimmune issues like to travel in "packs" - i.e. if you have one, you are more likely to have more.

As well, there seems to be a link between celiac and hashi's antibodies; that eating gluten can (for some people) stimulate antibodies and worsen hypothyroid (or worse, increase the hashi's swings). Eliminating gluten has been shown to reduce symptoms in many people, by reducing hashi's antibodies.

I always enjoy Islandmonkey's input!! I've learned so much!!! Thanks Islandmonkey!! My sister's got celiac's disease and 'all' of the women in our family have had some form of thyroid autoimmune problem. My blood work came back negative; but if I eat any form of gluten during the day I feel bloated and swollen and very fatigued at night. I'm also 'not' loosing weight and slowly gaining 'no matter' what I do!!! and do!!! and do!!!!
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

I found this article quite interesting and scary. Ive just started my gluten free journey because I have hashimotos.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's and I have gone gluten free and it has made a HUGE difference in how I feel. More energy, less pain, clearer brain function, etc. Sometimes when you go GF if you havent been used to a low carb diet, you can get headaches and be grouchy. Some say this is a type of withdrawal. It does happen to me but only lasts a couple days, after that I feel much better. Even if I stick to low carb but allow gluten, I dont feel good and I don't lose weight. I have to stick to low carb (carbs in the form of fruits, veggies, legumes, and sweet potatoes) and GF. The sugars and starches affect how I feel almost as much as the gluten does. It's worth a try and if you try it for a couple weeks or a month and you cant stand how you feel, or don't like the hassle, or whatever, you can always go back.

Read "Wheat Belly" - I don't buy into everything in the book and they dont talk about HypoT specifically but a lot of the issues they describe sure do mimic thyroid and other problems. Going GF was really easy after reading that book!