is grazing good or bad?

babymaddux
babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
i posted this as a response to another topic, but i'd like to get opinions on it.
is grazing good or bad? i have a whole rotisserie chicken on my desk at work, and i have bites when i want them. this chicken generally covers me from what would be breakfast til i go home at 5pm and lasts 2 work days...i also have sweet peppers or cucumbers for when i want something sweet or crunchy...
i've always been a grazer rather than a meals and snacks type eater, i've just changed the things i nibble on now. i'm just starting my 3rd week living this way and while i don't know what it's done to my weight (i banned the scales for a month) i do feel generally better about myself.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    It's fine if it's what keeps you on track! The only thing to worry about is making sure you're still taking in less cals than you put out. Recent studies have shown that grazing will not boost metabolism. It doesn't matter if you eat all your cals in one meal or throughout the day just as long as you have a defecit. Good luck!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    I would think having a whole chicken sitting on your desk all day (and then the next too?) would harbor a lot of bacteria.
  • babymaddux
    I would think having a whole chicken sitting on your desk all day (and then the next too?) would harbor a lot of bacteria.

and as a result i haven't had a stomach bug or even a cold in 5 years. wiping out 99.9% of all bacteria, or whatever the commercials claim, is why so many people are in hospital with flu right now. i have a healthy respect for them and not an out and out fear.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I'm with Aly on this one.

Technically, that's just one meal that you're eating over a duration of time. I generally eat one meal a night, about a KG of potatoes, 500g of meat with some veggies and cheese followed by homemade ice cream. Now, I *could* split that meal into several and eat throughout the day, but I like my massive meals. If you like grazing, that's fine: whatever works for you.
  • babymaddux
    it's not for any reason other than i get bored at work, and when i'm bored i nibble. it's not through hunger and while i'd like to get to that point, i want to fix what i eat first and move on to how i eat when i'm confident i'm doing right by my insides.
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    I think grazing is discouraged because eating when you're bored is not a good reason to eat. We should only eat when we're hungry. But everyone's different, and I don't really see what's wrong with what you're doing. If it was completely mindless, I think that would be more of a problem. It would be interesting to see if you could break the habit, if you ever wanted to try.

I always look for food when I'm bored and now have to remind myself I'm not actually feeling hunger.