Carbs or Sugar?

Options
NeewMee
NeewMee Posts: 26 Member
Which do you focus on more? I'm terrified of anything with carbs but have been told I have to have 'healthy' carbs. So I am trying to incorporate more carbs (from beans and healthy breads...) into my day. But then I see the carbs climb way up and start to freak. I have PCOS too so I really do have to put focus on carbs/sugar as well as my calories and protein. I've gotten a lot of, "Oh don't worry about carbs.." but I have to. How many carbs are you all having daily. When I told my nutritionist I was worried she asked me if I was having under 120/160 (I can't remember the exact number) a day. - I've been trying to have under 60- usually... She wrote in suggestions to keep up with under 60ish.
Just curious & don't see my doctor again (first fill) until the 22nd.

Replies

• sara7860
    Options
    Hi Neewmee!!! I have PCOS too. I focus on the carbs myself. I try and keep them under 40 per day. If I go over a bit I don't freak out I just start over the next day. Granted we did have different surgeries...I had the sleeve. I try and go for just good carbs when I'm getting them and avoid the bad ones like the plague. Truly though I mainly focus on my protein and getting in my water, usually if it doesn't have protein in it I don't put it in my mouth just because I have a hard time getting it all in without supplements. Don't stress yourself out above all!!! You have just started on a great journey enjoy the ride :-)

If you ever need to talk message me and add me if you want to :-)
  • NeewMee
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the info and support! :happy: I am excited to be on this journey. I try not to get too down or obsessed with something. Tomorrow is another day... (the old me would have never said that!) I haven't had a fill yet. I am sure that a lot of what I am able to eat now carb wise will be harder/impossible once I start getting fills.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and about a year before having surgery my insulin resistance had developed into full blown diabetes. I've had the RNY so the sugar thing is just straight off the board for us initially. We also eat extremely low carb on the front end as well. I still eat pretty low carb, less than when I was a diabetic maybe around 60 or less in a day. I very rarely eat carbs like bread, potatoes, or pastas. I just don't want to waste the space in my tummy on what essentially feels like filler foods. I have been sugar free since surgery, which was about 8 months ago, I don't plan to introduce sugar back into my diet, but I also don't avoid fresh fruits, so when I say sugar free I really mean in my coffee, or desserts. I figure I'm past the cravings so why eat it again. sugar is part of the carb count so I don't really track that nor did I even with diabetes. For me it was always more important to track the carbs. Best of luck on your journey.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Personally I track both, but I have a harder time with the carbs then with the sugar. I rarely eat anything with sugar but I am often surprised that 'everything' has some sugar in it. Rarely to I ingest more than 20-25 grams of sugar a day; it just all adds up a little from lactaid milk, the rare fruit, a little from the protein powder, some the yogurt, cottage cheese, a little from vegetables, etc. I have even had the occasional cookie and some soft serve ice cream - those before I had those I checked to see where my sugar stood for that day. I also track my carbs and again "everything" has carbs; again vegetables, yogurt, protein powders, lactaid milk, etc. I really try to limit mine to under 40 grams but on the days I eat more it climbs to around 60 grams, however, I do eat some complex carbs like whole grain and spelt crackers and pretzels, and a little cereal such as shredded wheat or plain special k. I miss crunchy foods as every you eat, especially in the first few months, is soft and mushy lol. However, I sometimes eat potatoes (though no bread or pasta) and rarely rice because I know if I start I will eat that rather then the protein. I personally dont cook the starches but if I'm at someones house and they prepare it I will allow myself a little indulgence.

When I checked with my nutritionist she said 40-60 grams of carbs was fine, so no worries.

Good Luck.
  • NeewMee
    Options
    It's so wonderful to have a 'place' I can visit and get so much support and help! (Thanks to all who replied!) I am only a little over a month post-op. I really haven't had restriction from my band since Christmas. Everything has been learning to eat the proper way and following the rules; and I am glad I had this chance to do so. I try to choose wisely and control portions and I've cut out all potatoes, rice, pasta. I try to choose sugar free etc... My limited bread consumption has been a low carb (9) multi-grain bread and I only ever use one slice/meal. My husband is pre-diabetic although his doctor uses this term she says there really is no such thing. You either are, or you aren't. Since I'm the one making the meals I really wanted to understand them better for both of us. The things that most concern me are things like beans... Some have upwards of 26 carbs (almost none are from sugar). I'm talking lima beans (unseasoned) not baked beans which I know have lots of sugar.

I know I have a lot to learn and will get it figured out eventually. It is nice to know I am avoiding the right stuff even if I do dip over my carb limit a little bit once in awhile. You all are SO inspiring! Thanks again for your help!!
  • nikkihealthy2011
    Options
    Carbs less than 20 and sugars less than 16
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wow. really? ^^^^^

I try to net 25g of carbs every meal and snack, so I have about 150g a day, or more.

I HAVE to because I suffer severely from recative hypoglycemic symptoms and the carbs release the energies and everything more slowly, helping to sustain normal sugar levels.

Sugars...I don't really count. Sugars are in everything......and even if you ate fruit all day long, you'd be filling your body with "sugar." So I don't even worry about sugar at all!
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't track carbs but diary wise I seem to stay under 150, I track protein most of all oh and water.... that's what my surgeon stresses for me...
  • NeewMee
    Options
    I've been trying to keep mine around 15-20 per meal and I do look at sugar but it is just all so very confusing to me, lol. I know fresh fruits have a lot of carbs and sugars in them (most of them do, anyway.) But I've been told better a sugar gram from a banana than a cookie. I still see 23 carbs in one banana and think how the heck am I suppose to eat something like that! LOL I've spent so many years choosing to not look at nutrition facts because I wasn't ready to make better choices (aka make total lifestyle changes). Now that I am looking my whole world is consumed by those numbers. I am very new to all of this. I know I will learn what works for me and what doesn't but in the beginning stages, especially with illnesses to consider, it can be very overwhelming an confusing at times. I really do appreciate the support from all of you! :happy:
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My dietitian said to keep it around 30 per meal, so that is what I do. Some days it's a bit more, some days it's a bit less. Overall, I've been instructed to not really pay attention to the carbs/fats because the focus should be on protein and if I am eating the right things then the carbs/fats will fall into place.

I am dealing with an increase in hypoglycemia episodes and so Ia m finding I need to up my carbs some.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band done almost 18 months ago. My goal for carbs is less than 50/day. Protein is 70-100/day. It's worked well for me as you can see. I don't hit it everyday but more often than not I do. Good luck. It's all a learning process. You'll find what works for you and then you will be off and running.
  • NeewMee
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the support. I think I am just not going to worry too much about it as long as I know what I am choosing is GOOD. I rarely go over 65 carbs/day. Some days my choices are good and some days they could be better but they are most certainly way better than the choices I was making 5 weeks ago... even on my worst day. :happy:
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    some of the healthiest foods out there are carbohydrate loaded - chickpeas, other forms of beans, grains like quinoa and lentils, vegetables, fruits, hell even yogurt and dairy products (except cheese, NOM!)....

as my dietician told me, "your focus is MINIMUM of 60g of protein per day, don't worry about the other stats because to get 60g of protein, you HAVE to eat healthy." he sure is right!