Running Inside.....

Options
allison0820
allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
Does anyone strictly run on the treadmill... I started this program before back in September 2012 (I think) and had to stop in Week 8 because I had to have Neck Surgery... Right now I am doing 30 Day Shred and plan to hit this again (til the end this time) when I am done... Before I was running inside by time.. not distance as I have been told that distance on the treadmill isn't the same as road work.. Just wanted to know if anyone else has done this stricktly inside.. thinking that after completion inside I would do it out side next to step it up.. (still by time because I run slow)... Thoughts???

Any supporters are welcome.. send me requests with a little message.. Ladies only please! Thanks!

Replies

• ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I run mostly on a treadmill and run almost exclusively for time. I'm slow as well.

My experience is that I find running outside easier than running on my treadmill. Some other treadmills I've run on have been harder than running, but I haven't run one of them in a long time.

I'd freely swap between running on the treadmill and running outside. Just be sure to keep the effort the same.

Good luck!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Strictly treadmill here, too, and strictly by time. I enjoy the treadmill because it gives me time to catch up on my DVRed shows.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    2 days on the treadmill, 1 day outside. I am running on time right now... cause I'm pretty slow.
    I actually find treadmill easier. Too easy for me to start walking outside, but if the treadmill is pushing me, I can keep going.
    It's more boring on the treadmill...

GOOD LUCK
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program yesterday and did it strictly on a treadmill and by time. I will continue on the treadmill over the winter, increasing my distance and speed. I'm looking forward to my first jog outside in the spring, though, to see and feel the difference. I imagine it'll be more interesting outdoors in the fresh air and moving scenery.
  • 916fire
    916fire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it all on the treadmill. Going to start week 3 tomorrow. Right now the weather where I live is so sporadic and I'm too big a chicken to run in the cold. I also live along a major highway and don't have a safe place for running close by. I also figure on moving outside once I complete the inside and the weather gets better hopefully.
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills ... makes running harder for me.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do some on the treadmill and some outside. There are benefits to both. The treadmill is such an even surface and you learn how to maintain a consistent speed. You can work on simply running faster because you don't have to worry about anything else.

Outside you're always doing something different so you're working different muscles and developing your core.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a treadmill, since I'm not a member of a gym, so it's strictly outdoors for me!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy a treadmill, but my running friend advised me against it. I'll never ever be able to thank her enough. I'm proud to say that since I have started running in May not a single mile has been on a treadmill.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Right now I am on the treadmill as I loathe the cold and I just know myself. If it is too cold, I will not run. But, I enjoy the nice hot air when I step in the gym. Also, I have found that when just starting out, it is much easier on my knees, feet, and ankles to run on a treadmill. I used to run outside all of the time, and I know I will get back to that place. But, for now, I am happy with the treadmill for time.
  • naturallynikki
    Options
    Since starting C25K (I'll start W4D1 on Monday), my runs have strictly been on the treadmill. I enjoy running outdoors; however, I find it harder on my knees and ankles. Also, I hit the gym at 4:30a, so it's still dark out and I feel safer running inside. I've signed up for a 5K in March, so when I start the time improvement runs, I'll probably do my weekend runs outside to prepare me.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy a treadmill, but my running friend advised me against it. I'll never ever be able to thank her enough. I'm proud to say that since I have started running in May not a single mile has been on a treadmill.

I'm proud of you, too, for running, not for avoiding the treadmill. The treadmill is not taboo, and it beats sitting on the couch!
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think they are a little different. The first time I did the program I ran on a treadmill or an elliptical. I was already running a mile indoors and went to the high school track to run and couldn't complete a mile. I read after that to keep the incline at 2 at least to mimic outdoors. I am heavier so I doors on an elliptical is much easier on the knees and feet.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 and so far all has been done on the treadmill. Can't wait to see the difference in spring when I try it outdoors.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I just finished week 3 and have done it all on a treadmill.