How do you respond to pressure from others to convert?

Options
chemalurgy
chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
I'm sure we've all been approached by well-meaning, but annoying people who wanted to "save" us. How do you suggest handling this?

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    never really had any. In UK it tends to not be that much of an issue. Sure, we have overtly religious people who stand in the street wearing a placard & waving a bible but we tend to view them with mild amusement or annoyance more than anyting else.

I've had a couple fo jehovas knock on the door but they are sent packing with a "Not interested". Religious people get no special rights here in UK with regard to freedom of speech, they have the right to preach but I have the right to tell them to shut up & get away from me. It works quite well really.
  • chemalurgy
    Options
    never really had any. In UK it tends to not be that much of an issue. Sure, we have overtly religious people who stand in the street wearing a placard & waving a bible but we tend to view them with mild amusement or annoyance more than anyting else.

I've had a couple fo jehovas knock on the door but they are sent packing with a "Not interested". Religious people get no special rights here in UK with regard to freedom of speech, they have the right to preach but I have the right to tell them to shut up & get away from me. It works quite well really.

Unfortunately, in the United States the religous right is much more pushy and somehow feel entitled to pressure you. Our nation is not based on Christianity, but yet they somehow think that it is.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I am confronted by the God's self appointed representatives, I calmly explain that atheists are under no obligation to suffer fools. Then I shut the door in their face or walk away.
  • chemalurgy
    Options
    Awesome answer! It's based on a biblical passage, too.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Like Beccyleigh I am in the UK so not pressured to convert in any way. A few visits from Jehova Witnesses but a polite not interested is usually all it takes.

I have debated beliefs with various people over the years that have been quite heated but that is more about the debate than the content if you understand me.

I would be extremely, and I mean "extremely" annoyed if anyone tried to pressurise me into converting. I would probably be very rude and insulting, I do not tolerate fanatics very well at all.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also live in the UK and there isn't much in the way of pressure, but I have had a couple of people come to my door to try and get me to come to a prayer group or similar. I tell them I'm not religious and they usually go away then, if they try to find out why I'm not religious or start proselytising I tell them they have as much chance of converting me as I have in turning them into atheists. They usually give up at that point. If they don't I make it clear I'm not going further with the discussion and walk away.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am also in the UK and my best friend as a child was a Jehovah Witness. I always felt sorry for her, no birthday or Christmas presents!! But no-one in the family ever tried to sell the religion to me and I loved their dandelion coffee!! Lol!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So many UK people! I'm jealous. I'm stuck here in Oklahoma...
  • majorbaka
    majorbaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So many UK people! I'm jealous. I'm stuck here in Oklahoma...

Wouldn't be too jealous CollegiateGrief - in the UK with have our fair share of Christian religious nutters and Islamic extremists.

True doesn't happen in the street that much. Last time for me was a couple of years ago - approached by 2 smartly dressed individuals who started spouting scripture at me. I just laughed and said you've got to be joking! Think they got the message! :smile:

The majority of thoroughly decent Christians/Muslims don't try to convert you - thank god for that!
  • padipaddy
    padipaddy Posts: 12
    Options
    I invite them into my house or chat with them. I ask them questions. I generally treat them with little respect. They do not automatically qualify for respect because they are Christian or Muslim or whatever. These people scare children. They are dangerous. I don't give hem an inch. But hey that's just me lol

Rab
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    No one would dare. My mother is in a nursing home run by a Catholic order. I don't know what my mother's religious beliefs are, but she's certainly not Catholic and I took down a crucifix that was on the eall. A nun asked if my mother wanted to attend mass. I said, "Not everyone shares your beliefs, Sister."
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't. I used to get into arguments with people and get my blood up.

The role religion plays in a society is insidious, but it's never an individual issue, so arguing with individuals about their beliefs is pointless.

Now that doesn't mean that individuals don't have their reasons for being religious, but those aren't why there's religion in society. Quite the contrary, those come after the fact. When life is so miserable that a focus on an afterlife becomes attractive, when a society is so unjust that "divine" retribution, heaven or hell, or seems like the only alternative, when people are kept thoroughly ignorant of their own history, then we get pervasive tenacious mythologies. They don't come from anywhere else.

As soon as I say something like this though, many people--especially the most sanctimonious, self-satisfied, liberal atheists-- start to back off very slowly. They know I'm about to attack the whole system of class oppression, and the tools that are used to enforce it, like religion.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No thank you".
  • karenplauze
    karenplauze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some of them want to argue the rationality of their religion (because I usually start off my rejection by letting them know I am a scientist and that I depend on reason). They try to tell me that I am atheist because I just don't know enough about my religion. That's when I pull out my Vatican Approved Catechetical Diploma that I got through three years of study through the Catholic Distance University in Alexandria, VA. I was raised Catholic but really never believed. A few years ago, during a difficult time in my life, I thought I would give it another go. After a few weeks going to Mass, etc. I decided to try to approach the faith through study. The more I studied, the more rediculous it seemed. Finally I recognised the effects of "cognitive dissonance". That's when I saw the light and left the church in my dust.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Easy, tell them the truth. Friankly, when I have deep conversations concerning religiosity, people what to know more and ask questions. Everybody questions their beliefs. Even the ones that are desparate to convert you. Part of their reason for wanting to convert you is to not only "save" you but to give validation to their beliefs.
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No thank you".

Pretty much this. Or I'll say, "No, thank you, I'm agnostic. Please don't come here again..." and then shut the door.