Heart rate monitor?

Options
I was just wondering if I should get a heart rate monitor? Also if so what one is best that is also inexpensive right now I'm on a budget at the moment.

Replies

• runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! I use a heart rate monitor from time to time, but I found it was bothersome to wear the chest strap....most of the chest straps instructions say to wear it as tight as possible to get the best readings. Well, I couldn't breathe lol!! So, I looked into buying a heart rate monitor for the wrist and bought a Bodymedia fit armband instead. I like it but the one I have doesn't read heart rate but it reads calories.
    If you decide to buy a HRM, I would suggest a New Balance ladies. i bought mine from Target! I think it was about $80...least expensive one I saw...unless you can find one on ebay! Good luck to ya!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the Polar FT4. Polar pretty much sets the standard for heart rate monitoring. I used the FT7 last year before upgrading and it is a great product. The only big difference between the FT7 and FT4 is the FT7 will let you upload data to Polar's website (with the purchase of an additional USB reader) but I did not find that feature very useful. The Polar straps are very comfortable, much more than the Garmin strap I use now with my GPS monitor.
  • Knightmom51
    Knightmom51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have the polar ft4. It was 65.00. The chest strap is comfortable and the information is accurate.
  • pippacont
    pippacont Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4- it was $65 on Amazon. I really like it and I haven't had any problems with it being uncomfortable. The only thing I did notice is that it has a hard time reading when I'm on my back for ab exercises, but that is rare. It's a great way to gauge how hard you're working- I'm very good at thinking I'm busting my butt one day when I'm really not and then other days I'm thinking I'm just pushing myself a little and it's way too much.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also use the FT4 and highly recommend it.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Here's another option for a HRM. If you have a smart phone and are using an app like endomondo to track your exercise, get a bluetooth chest strap, and upgrade the free app to the paid version. Then you can let the app do the tracking of your heart rate/calories.

I bought a HRM before I figured this out... now I wish I would have waited. I would have saved about $50.

But then again, I did need a watch, and I love that my HRM came with a purple one... my favorite color! LOL (It's a timex btw, and it gets the job done just fine!)