emotional eating

Options
I am trying to get a handle on the reason I am eating when I am not hungry, the grazing,and the secret eating binge...... I found a good book called Lose it for Life. I am hoping as I read through it and track my eating on MFP that I can let go of some of these habits. Anyone else struggling with these habits?

Replies

• jlaquet
    jlaquet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! A few months ago I was a "perfect" eater. Focused and determined. I am a work in progress and working at getting back on track. Here is my advice with a theme...
    "Give us this day our daily bread"
    * say to yourself - I am bigger than food
    * food does not control me - I control food
    * walk away - get away from the kitchen, go for a walk, talk a shower, go to another room - the "binge" feeling will pass
    * if you need to taste food - take a taste - ONE, remember the second tastes the same as the first
    * count the calories - and realize what it will take to burn the calories
    * pray - there is always power in prayer
    * call a friend - distract yourself, focus on something else
    * if you binge, don't beat yourself up; move on and keep working
    You can do this!!! With God all things are possible.
  • lilypadness
    Options
    this new friend of your does.I was just at game night and kept nibbling.
  • lilypadness
    Options
    amen
  • lexierosiegino
    lexierosiegino Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Amen to that as well. Great advise!
  • jmendez625
    Options
    My husband discovered that I tend to "overdose" on chocolate when I'm stressed or when something is really bothering me and I am trying to hide it. I never realized it until he pointed it out. Perhaps, there are some unresolved emotional issues that need to be dealt with? I know that when my husband pointed this out to me, I was like, "No way!" But as I started to pay closer attention, I realized he was right. I also noticed, that when I took time to evaluate my emotions and my thoughts and talked them over either with my husband or a very close friend of mine, I would feel much better and didn't feel the need to "overdose" on chocolate. I'm not sure if this helps at all,and I hope that you don't take offense to my reply. There is a book that I am reading called, "Who switched off my brain" by Dr. Caroline Leaf, it's amazing how our thoughts affect so much of our lives.
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate especially with the secret setting . somehow in my brain I think if no one sees me it doesn't count unfortunately the scale does not agree with that logic lol . I am so thankful for this sight I keep my diary open and record everything that way even when I do binge so there's that accountability.
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    I can totally relate especially with the secret setting . somehow in my brain I think if no one sees me it doesn't count unfortunately the scale does not agree with that logic lol . I am so thankful for this sight I keep my diary open and record everything that way even when I do binge so there's that accountability.

Ha Ha! I think there is something to that. Secret snacking doesn't really count?!! I also stop at fast food places and treat myself to something when I am alone. What is that about?????? I am hoping I can get a handle on it and stop the habit.

Someone mentioned stress. That could be it as well. Maybe my way of handling the stress is to treat myself to something that taste good or comforts. Not sure.....Thanks ladies for your support.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This thread amazes me that so many feel like eating in secret doesn't count or fast food stops when alone are okay, I mean vis a vis the group name one would think that the mentality of God being omniscient would prevent this. Just remember or get a fridge magnet or make one, or post it, or keychain or phone screen saver that says, "God is everywhere, or sees everything" or something to that effect. Remind yourselves that someone who loves you is always around and watching and doesn't want to see you hurt yourself with food.

Also I don't do any of these things per se, but I have other downfalls like late night cravings which I avert by going to bed earlier, planning a late night snack, or just thinking "I made it this far don't mess up now". Also my boredom eating (which I suspect the OP might want to look into it might be this and not emotional eating) causes me to consume or want to consume way more calories anytime my day is not full enough with activities or I'm home all day for any reason. So I set a timer and eat at the right time all through the day to avoid snacking in between meal/snacks.

Emotional eating I think you would want to take care of the emotion when it's happening and before you eat bad. I think just like we teach our kids to go potty at the first sign of feeling like you gotta go, it should be handled at the first sign of a twinge of hunger or a craving. I think you should plan whatever helps you through emotionally, whether it's a favorite teddy bear (make a custom one at build a bear with a voice, music, smells and clothes if you have to), a favorite song/CD/or playlist, allowing yourself a good cry and cuddle with a comforting blanket for 10 minutes, or a soothing shower. I think you should plan in the first week to have your day interrupted considerably when you are first trying to understand and overcome that feeling that "i hurt so I need to eat" because it seems like it could repeat itself many times before you get a handle on what works because you are not fulfilling it the usual way with eating, it may return a few times the first time you tackle it. I'd start on a weekend or 3 day weekend if possible if it were me. Hopefully by Monday I'd feel a whole lot better able to cope with whatever strategy is working best.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can definately relate. When I feel stressed at work, I would think "I NEED a pop/candy" because I was busy and stressed, almost like I deserved it. So, no more bringing money in to work (I have vending machines 10ft behind me that beckon to me all night long). That way I can't tell myself that I need it just because we have some stressful ERs come in. And I have noticed that the vending machine's call is getting quieter and quieter and I don't crave it when I walk by them everytime I get ice for my water bottle. I am also working on teaching myself to clean when emotional (I figure that helps everyone...lol) rather than eating when upset or happy. I realized that we are pretty much taught to be emotional eaters when we are taught that we get ice cream for a breakup or ice cream to celebrate winning the big game. Since my sister has a motto of "food is for fuel, not fun" that she goes by, it has made me realize how much of our culture is centered around food (holidays are a big one, celebrations are another). I still struggle with eating when I am bored and since I work night shift, I also have found that on my nights off, I tend to still keep my night shift eating schedule (snack around 8 or 9pm, dinner at around midnight or 1am) and my husband and I stay up to spend time together...well, sadly the snack has been ice cream so I am working on choosing healthier snacks during that time rather than expecting that my eating habits will be one way on one day and another on a different day. I was always told that if you think you are hungry, drink water first. It gives your mouth something to do, you may also just be dehydrated, and you may also eat less. For a chocolate craving, I have been trying to do hot chocolate. Still chocolate, but less calories than my death by chocolate ice cream. The sugar free stuff has 50 calories and you still get the chocolate. :) I don't do much of secret eating, mine is more procrastination charting. I figure that I will chart what I ate later and just work it off if I am over. Yeah, then I get tired and don't want to work it off...lol. Tracking as I eat it has been helpful on that one. And someone mentioned it on another thread, but I have been doing the 21 day Made to Crave Bible reading plan on youversion.com has been awesome so far!
  • margaretannie53
    margaretannie53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am reading the book Lose It for Life also! I'm about in the middle of it and have learned a lot about myself. So far I'm doing much better. :smile: You'll love the book. The authors are honest, but very compassionate and have been there. They definitely recommend community so you're on the right track. I'll be praying for you! It's not easy to face ourselves and our problems, but it's so worth it for ourselves and our walk with God. Let me know how it goes for you.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump good thread