How are you doing?

Options
I'm having success with the weight loss, how is everyone else doing with the challenge?

I am having a bit of trouble with the exercise though, I have switched up my workouts and am really paying the price!
Today I feel like I did 2 days after I first started at the gym, stiff and sore. My son asked where I left the horse every time I stand after sitting... apparently I look like a saddle sore cowboy when I walk. I can't even do my bra up normally!

Anyone have tips on speeding up recovery? I have stretched, went to yoga yesterday to try and offset the worst and I'm trying to keep moving and hydrated .

Replies

• Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If u hv access to a sauna, i think that really helps. I usually spend bout 20min after eavh workout. I havent really been sore in a while.
  • katrin25
    Options
    Soarness is good. It means you did well. lol. Soak in epsom salt and keep stretching, and keep every strech for 30 seconds. whatever you do, don't stop being active. Use Active Recovery. Doing easy low-impact aerobic exercise increases blood flow which helps with your recovery.
    What might also work is the foam rollers. They are great; after each workout incorporate them in your cooldown.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm having success with the weight loss, how is everyone else doing with the challenge?

I am having a bit of trouble with the exercise though, I have switched up my workouts and am really paying the price!
    Today I feel like I did 2 days after I first started at the gym, stiff and sore. My son asked where I left the horse every time I stand after sitting... apparently I look like a saddle sore cowboy when I walk. I can't even do my bra up normally!

Anyone have tips on speeding up recovery? I have stretched, went to yoga yesterday to try and offset the worst and I'm trying to keep moving and hydrated .

You are doing fabulous. Be patient with yourself and lots and lots of stretching. It certainly gets better. My problem is portion control, planning my meals and staying focus with my diet.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    From your description of how you stand, I am guessing you are doing things like squats and lunges. Is that right? Soreness is good, I actually like feeling sore after a workout (or even a day or two after a good one) because I know I hit it hard. Your muscles will eventually get more accustomed to doing the exercise and soreness will be less. I like the foam roller to massage the muscle and I also do some ice and heat if I feel the need.

Here is a good article I found about muscle soreness. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil&page=2

it doesn't give any great fixes, but since it is more related to the inflammation, ice/heat, anti-inflammatory drugs (motrin/asprin), and resting that muscle group will help it go away faster. I have heard that eating a little more protein on the hard workout days can help by providing the muscle with the needed nutrients to repair, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Hope you feel better soon and that you can get rid of the horse!
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    From your description of how you stand, I am guessing you are doing things like squats and lunges. Is that right? Soreness is good, I actually like feeling sore after a workout (or even a day or two after a good one) because I know I hit it hard. Your muscles will eventually get more accustomed to doing the exercise and soreness will be less. I like the foam roller to massage the muscle and I also do some ice and heat if I feel the need.

Here is a good article I found about muscle soreness. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil&page=2

it doesn't give any great fixes, but since it is more related to the inflammation, ice/heat, anti-inflammatory drugs (motrin/asprin), and resting that muscle group will help it go away faster. I have heard that eating a little more protein on the hard workout days can help by providing the muscle with the needed nutrients to repair, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Hope you feel better soon and that you can get rid of the horse!

The horse has been put back in the stable! And yes, you are right, more lunges and squats caused this. I am feeling much better today, I am off to the gym shortly and I know a whole different ache is going to occur. I have gone over my circuit with my trainer and we have added some new stuff as I wasn't working hard enough :bigsmile:
    At least I know what I'm in for and am doing everything to minimize the worst........ I don't mind the ache of after a workout, but not the PAIN. Only way to stop it is to keep doing it right???? Hubby has promised to help with some massage too :heart:
  • Belliny
    Belliny Posts: 66
    Options
    To be honest I started on the wrong foot, for the first week i had problems. But then my friends gave me so much support and motivation, now i'm working out again and doing better with my food. I seriously kicking butt this week!! I hope to see the results on the weigh in =)
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Good for you Belliny, hope your weigh in is good too :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    The horse has been put back in the stable! And yes, you are right, more lunges and squats caused this. I am feeling much better today, I am off to the gym shortly and I know a whole different ache is going to occur. I have gone over my circuit with my trainer and we have added some new stuff as I wasn't working hard enough :bigsmile:
    At least I know what I'm in for and am doing everything to minimize the worst........ I don't mind the ache of after a workout, but not the PAIN. Only way to stop it is to keep doing it right???? Hubby has promised to help with some massage too :heart:

Glad to hear it didn't last too long!! I've been a little sore all week from the various work and I'm looking forward to Sunday's rest. Keep at it and it will get easier to recover.
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    It's going great! I am happy o be back into the swing of things!

BTW...EPSON SALT BATHS WORK WONDERS FOR SORENESS,!!
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    It's going great! I am happy o be back into the swing of things!

BTW...EPSON SALT BATHS WORK WONDERS FOR SORENESS,!!

I wish I had a decent size bath for that, I'd probably throw my back out just trying to get back out of it lol
  • IzzyIsa
    Options
    Congrats to those losing weight during this challenge.

Sadly, I've injured my hips and back and I cannot exercise for a while which has a huge impact on my weight loss plan and means that I cannot really complete the 50 day challenge efficiently. I'm seeing a physio on Friday so he can assess the situation and tell me what to do to get better asap. I hope he'll be able to provide me a list of exercises I can do while my hips and back heal.

Isabelle
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congrats to those losing weight during this challenge.

Sadly, I've injured my hips and back and I cannot exercise for a while which has a huge impact on my weight loss plan and means that I cannot really complete the 50 day challenge efficiently. I'm seeing a physio on Friday so he can assess the situation and tell me what to do to get better asap. I hope he'll be able to provide me a list of exercises I can do while my hips and back heal.

Isabelle

Lizzy- I hope you have a healthy & full recovery. Be patient and you’ll persevere. Hang in there.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I filled in my menu for the day. Trying to eat more earlier in day & follow the plan. I tend to eat more when I watch the Football games.
    Sooo- my goal is to do better than the past 2 weekends.

My weight loss is slow but seems permanent as a body transformation change so it’s working for me.