suggestions for increasing my distance/speed

Options
meredithfp
meredithfp Posts: 104 Member
Hello all. I'm plugging away -- W6D3 happens tonight and I'm really loving it, however, I am running nowhere near a 5K in the given time. I'm pretty consistently hitting about 2 miles. I love the systematic approach of this program (it makes it easier to force myself to follow it) and I'd love to come up with a similar systematic approach for increasing my distance/pace.

Suggestions?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program this week and wondered the same thing over the last few weeks.

I decided to try to increase my speed minimally for about half the run time (sometimes less; depending on the day); then go back to my snail's pace. My goal was to finish the program's run time. Even running a bit faster made the run harder (more panting). Even that small amount of increased speed has sped up my time a bit. I notice it by bumping into the front of the treadmill when I run my usual slower pace. :smile:
    So, I think, speed will take care of itself in time. I finished W9 by running 3.2Km in the run time and will now work on my speed to increase my distance. By spring, I hope to be able to go outside and run a complete 5K.

Stick with it. You're doing great. If you run too quickly, you won't be able to finish the day's program. Speed will come in time.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I bought RunDouble because it has a distance version of C25K (For instance, for W5D3, instead of a 20 minute run it's a 2 mile run). You could get it, figure out how far you're running during your run intervals now, and see what week in the distance version has that distance of run intervals and start with that week. That way the program will systematically increase your distance (instead of your time) until you're running a full 5K. Once you're done with that, RunDouble also has a 5K Improver program specifically to systematically improve your 5K speed.

Hope this helps! :o)
  • Jsilva814
    Jsilva814 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm no expert but I completed C25K last year (March) and then incresed my mileage and went on to run a half marathon in August. I followed an 18 week training plan that allowed me to start with a base of 2 or 3 miles. Each week my long run would increase, some weeks would be a repeat of the mileage from the previous week. The schedule had me running 4 or 5 days a week. Including three or four 3 mile runs and one long run. Once the long run mileage got around 6 or 7, one of my mid-week runs increased slightly as well.

You may not be looking to run that far but a good rule of thumb is to increase by only a mile per week.

As for speed, I am still working on that but I've had been reading a lot about "interval" runs that are used to increase speed.

HTH
  • meredithfp
    meredithfp Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. All of these answers are helpful. I am hoping to build up to a half marathon at some point before the end of 2013. Jsilva, do you have the name of the program you used that you describe in this post? And I'll definitely look into RunDouble. I figure that once I finish the C25K program I'll switch from focusing on time to focusing on distance. That should get me where I want to go.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Rlandbeck, thanks for the info on RunDouble. I'm going to check it out.
  • Jsilva814
    Options
    Thanks so much. All of these answers are helpful. I am hoping to build up to a half marathon at some point before the end of 2013. Jsilva, do you have the name of the program you used that you describe in this post? And I'll definitely look into RunDouble. I figure that once I finish the C25K program I'll switch from focusing on time to focusing on distance. That should get me where I want to go.

Its a schedule that my cousin sent me. I'm not sure if we can add attachments on MFP but I can email it to you. PM me if you like.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is also a Couch to 10 K program that walks you through the steps like C25K does. I just completed W7D1 and was thinking about checking out that app when I finish this one to increase my distance. I figure speed will increase as I run more and more and these last couple of workouts are consistent running after the warm up.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I run for 25 minutes in week 7, I'm only running for 1.65 miles so I'm way slower than you. I'm not worried about it - I've got the rest of my life to go fast. I'm just letting the program help me increase my endurance and I'll work on the speed later.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Graduated from C25K a month or so ago.... but like others have said, I don't run the 5K in the alloted time in the program. That's OK with me... I just keep plugging away. Right now I'm at 5K in around 38 minutes.

So I took the plunge and decided to move ahead to 10K. Program manager at gym said that working on 10K should improve my time in a 5K... just will take some time.

Be patient with your progress. I wish I could finish a 5K faster, but will just keep working and enjoy the journey !!
  • Jsilva814
    Options
    When I run for 25 minutes in week 7, I'm only running for 1.65 miles so I'm way slower than you. I'm not worried about it - I've got the rest of my life to go fast. I'm just letting the program help me increase my endurance and I'll work on the speed later.

Great attitude! so true!