Is 5x5 all you do?

Options
ELCABRA
ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
I am wondering if you all do cardio along with 5x5, I am in like week 5 and noticed I was struggling a bit more than I thought with OH and BP, I got it in but felt it shoulda been easier. Just wondering if I need to rest more and maybe scale back killin the cardio on non workout days.

Replies

• Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do a 4 minute cardio thing after my workout...
    20 seconds on and 10 seconds rest for a total of 4 minutes
    jump rope (or hip thrusters)/rest
    mt.climbers/rest
    high knees/rest
    jumping jacks/rest
    repeat

I also do a quick 5 minute warmup on the elliptical or treadmill (usually elliptical) just to warm up my body! :)

Otherwise, that's all I do for cardio! :)
    Have you tried deloading for the OH and BP by 10-20%? I find that helps me and when I get back up to the weight I struggled with, it feels easier! :) Make sure you're giving yourself enough rest between sets too! I find if I don't give myself enough rest time, I don't get all the reps!
  • Dpleblanc
    Options
    I like to ride my bike and try to do a couple 12-15 mile rides a week. I do them on one of the two consecutive SL off days of the week and one othe offmday. I take them a little easier than I used to...don't push too hard. I alsonhavle been walking 5-6 miles and feel that isma goodmway to burn calories without stressing my recovering legs too much. I am resting more between sets as Saunz suggests. I think a big thing is eating enough. I've been rethinking my plan to keep a calorie deficit while I do SL and have been eating to my TDEE this week. Plan to go to TDEE minus 10% next week and see how that goes.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do cardio throughout the week (mostly stationary bike, but ice skating on weekends during the weekend), but I'm still early in SL and the weights (except for OHP) aren't challenging yet. I'm not sure how things will work out for me once I get to heavier weights.

Some of my bike rides are relatively easy, though...almost as an active rest day.
  • ELCABRA
    Options
    Yeah i think I may be pushing too hard on off days, maybe stick to walking and I must be aware of rest periods between reps, I tend to rush a bit because I usually workout in the morning before work and find myself short on time and pressing to get my workout in, gotta slow things down and take my time. I did have surgery late in late 2011 for a extremely pinched nerve in my neck that caused numbness throughout my arms and my left side is noticeably weaker and I seem to be struggling on that side, again it is just on OH and BP. I am wondering if I should try some isolation work with dumbbells to strengthen left shoulder muscles?
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Yeah i think I may be pushing too hard on off days, maybe stick to walking and I must be aware of rest periods between reps, I tend to rush a bit because I usually workout in the morning before work and find myself short on time and pressing to get my workout in, gotta slow things down and take my time. I did have surgery late in late 2011 for a extremely pinched nerve in my neck that caused numbness throughout my arms and my left side is noticeably weaker and I seem to be struggling on that side, again it is just on OH and BP. I am wondering if I should try some isolation work with dumbbells to strengthen left shoulder muscles?

I don't know anything medically, but I think you should definitely make sure you are giving yourself plenty of rest time between sets. Don't rush your workout - it won't work out in your favor! AND you don't want to re-injure yourself! Can you go to the gym any earlier? Or after work???
  • ELCABRA
    Options
    Yeah I can change my times I just like getting it in early in the day just in case something comes up, I will just give myself plenty of time or switch to afternoon as opposed to rushing through it
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Yeah I can change my times I just like getting it in early in the day just in case something comes up, I will just give myself plenty of time or switch to afternoon as opposed to rushing through it

Awesome! Let us know how it works out! And one more good thing about SL! It's only 3 days a week, so you don't have to do it every afternoon/early morning! :)
  • ELCABRA
    Options
    Well I had a ton of rest yesterday and had a nice walk prior to my workout today and I straight ripped ****!!! Felt like I could do another entire workout, but I didn't!!! I also made sure to take timed rest between sets and it worked exactly as it was supposed to, no issues what so ever!!! Hells yeah!!!!
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only do 5x5, sometimes have a game of squash.

Like you, I do mine before work, and find I rush myself a little, and definitely find it's easier when I make sure I give myself enough rest between reps. It's amazing how much difference 30 seconds of rest can make actually.

I stalled on the OHP last week, and I know I didn't rest enough. The next time I did it, I made sure to rest properly, and blitzed it.

Sounds like we're having similar experiences.
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options
    I do a ton of cario, but I really cant let it go. Being in the Army it is required for out fitness test and I also do a couple of triathlons a year so I am trying to stay competitive in that as well. I am only in week 2, so it really hasn't made a difference yet. I am guessing I will stall/ plateau early due to so much cardio.
  • ELCABRA
    Options
    Well maybe not so soon if your level of cardio is normal for your body, I mean what about people that have highly active careers and are always running around, I think your body adapts to your lifestyle so adding the 5x5 to an existing high cardio level, you may have to up ur protein level a good bit. just my thoughts I have no idea if these are even close to scientifically proper.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Well I had a ton of rest yesterday and had a nice walk prior to my workout today and I straight ripped ****!!! Felt like I could do another entire workout, but I didn't!!! I also made sure to take timed rest between sets and it worked exactly as it was supposed to, no issues what so ever!!! Hells yeah!!!!

AWESOME!!! :D
  • donkraft
    donkraft Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I work, raise a family, watch tv, eat, and sleep.

On a serious note, I run too. Running is fun.