exercise - how soon

Options
How soon after surgery will I have enough energy to exercise?

Replies

• sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was up and walking the day of surgery. I had plenty of energy. I still walk every day 4 months later. I was able to add in other exercise 6 weeks post op per my centers guidelines.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was also up and walking the day of my surgery, and able to walk a couple of miles within about a week. At my two week appointment, to have my steri-strips removed, I was told I could do any exercise, but to hold off on swimming for a couple of more weeks. Even though I was sore and tired, I was told to keep walking. The energy increased every day. I think the exercise and energy subject would definitely be a subject to talk to your surgeon and dietitian about, because I think it is very individual.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was back to swimming after 2 weeks but struggled to get dressed due to the middle being sore!! I wish I had done more exercise after my op but was not very stable with MS so missed on some good weight loss there!!
  • Andrewimm
    Options
    I was walking the day of surgery and kept it up. During my 2 week post op I was sore but able to walk, and even work around the house and clean the garage, etc. At my 2 week follow up they told me to keep walking and I could begin other exercise but to hold off on swimming for a couple of weeks. Just keep moving. This week is the start of my 4th week post op and I went to the gym this morning for eliptical and treadmill. I start strength training again tomorrow!
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    Post surgery, walking is pretty much enforced. I had RNY and the doctor had me up and walking the day after my surgery and part of the post-surgery care included walking every day (starting with a few minutes and working up to an hour a day). You should address your specific exercise questions to your surgeon :smile: